View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
My take....

Jim Brown - As a die hard Browns fan this is hard to say haha. Jim played in a time when the weight of a D lineman was the same as himself - 230 lbs. Linebackers were 210 lbs. Most guys on the teams were white, including the secondary - meaning s l o w e r - yeah I'm white and I said it - gotta keep it real. Jim being a power runner had no problem smashing thru the D line, LB's, and being fast for his size, once he was past them, nobody in the secondary could solo tackle him even if they could catch him. Fast forward to today with D linemen being 270 AND faster, LB's being 240 and faster, secondaries where damn near everyone is black -MUCH faster compared to back then. IMO he WOULD still be good today, but bcoz of his style of running, he wouldn't excel, and really be at risk for injuries.

Butkus - Not so fast, but had that intangible - that knack for getting to the ball - just like a not-so-fast Chris Speilman in more recent times who lead the Lions in tackles every year. Average LB in Butkus's day was 210 lbs - he was 245lbs at 6'3 - slightly bigger than even todays average LB. A monster for those times. I think he would still be good today, but not legendary.

Payton - With his style of running - agile, quick, finding the hole - he would be as good as ever.

Montana - Cool, smooth, Dr Clutch would still be GOAT material, and prolly be even better due to the rule changes favoring QB's and receivers.

Rice - He would lead the league as always and be even better due to rule changes favoring receivers.

LT - GOAT of all LB's! Changed the game single handedly - at 6'3, 240, agile AF and speed of a receiver, he would dominate as if it were 1986. Just make sure he has his coke.

Rocky - Sad to say as a Rock fan for me growing up as a kid being into boxing myself, he was an idol. He would get murdered against a Tyson, and peppered to death by a Holyfield, Lewis or Bowe, if not KO'ed. For Crisake he was only 5'10, 189 lbs with a 68" reach - that let him beat a lot of not-so-good guys back in his day, and the guys he beat with names were already old. Sorry Rock.

Ali - You take the Ali that fought Liston and he beats ANYBODY of any era. Fast AF, and couldn't be touched. Now if he was after 1971, when he was heavier, not as nimble on his feet every rd, when Frazier caught him flush many times, Tyson might KO him. Afterall most would agree Tyson was much faster than Joe, and hit much harder to boot. But a young Ali beats all of them.

Gretzki - Never followed hockey much - can't say.

MJ - GOAT then, GOAT now. That is all.

85 Bears - A good Pats team in recent years would own them. Average weight of an O lineman in 85 was 260-265 lbs. Now it is 310 lbs. Could Dent, Hampton, Fridge and Mc Michael be even nearly as effective getting to the QB or stopping the run considering? Would Jim McMahon throwing only 9 times a game get it done? I don't think so. Times have changed a shitload - bigger, stronger, faster.

95-96 Bulls - You kidding me? They would dominate today just like then!
Dawgpound_Hank is online now   Reply With Quote