X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j8296
    • Sep 2017

Tip: A New Variation On Seated Rows

Tip: A New Variation on Seated Rows
    Make this simple adjustment to really target the lats instead of the upper back. You'll get an unearthly pump!
    by Lee Boyce | 05/31/19
    A-new-variation-on-seated-rows
    Tags: Tips Back Bodybuilding

Simply adding a forward lean during seated rows is a great way to target the lats rather than the upper back muscles.

The reason? Physics. Leaning your torso forward creates a de facto inverted lat pulldown position, only with stricter form.

Leaning back for a standard pulldown – the way it's normally done – can cause plenty of lumbar and thoracic overextension, which, beyond a certain point, doesn't do much for back activation.

That's why this seated row modification will isolate the lats a lot more, using much less weight to get there. Since you're leaning IN and not BACK, you have no room to extend the torso and can focus more on the pump.

Get a good stretch after each rep to optimize the length-tension ratio. Chasing volume is the way to go – sets of at least 10-12 reps is key.
  • Dawgpound_Hank
    • May 2019

That's the way Arnie did em almost 50 years ago. I do too but ya gotta be careful to not lean too far in especially going heavy or you can strain the ol lumbar.
    Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• j8296
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by JerKy
      That's the way Arnie did em almost 50 years ago. I do too but ya gotta be careful to not lean too far in especially going heavy or you can strain the ol lumbar.
      Thank you for your feedback. I like doing the cable rows slow and controlled. Too many people flail around like fish out of water. My favorite attachment for rows is a handle which is shaped like a W (or M) with smoother lines. The width is just outside of my shoulders. ROM is greatly increased compared to the usual close grip T-bar attachment. This change has drastically improved the development of my middle back and lats.

Comment

Working...