Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remo
    • Jan 2013

A little bit of my story

Im going to go ahead and post here since I turn the big 40 in 21 days and maybe I can get some advice/encouragement.
    I have not lifted seriously in 3 years. I started moderate exercise about 33 years of age and found out that most everything I thought I knew was garbage at about age 35. I began lifting heavy weights a 3 times a week with a little cardio mixed in just for heart health.
    I worked in the transportation industry and started suffering from a chronic shoulder injury just about 3 and a half years ago. If you do the math i was still a very novice lifter.
    My gains in strength were noticeable in that time and i hold my 260 pounds much better than i used to but im still soft. For my size i know im underachieving. I want to know whether to ease my way back into things with lower weights and more reps or should I get back into the heavy lifting. I'm 6ft 3 in and as I said, I hover between 255 and 260. When I talk heavy weights for me its not heavy for a journeyman lifter by any means.
    I have a couple more issues im dealing with but i thought this would be a good place to get the ball rolling. I dont want to keep looking back and wondering if I could have done something more to fill out some potential that I know is there!!
  • willi
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Remo,

At 40 you have tons of potential.

You didn't mention it so I will say it...get checked out by a doc, preferably a sports med doctor. Might be a good time for a total physical...blood work and all. You will learn some important things from this that will be crucial to your new program.

The safe approach to your body is the best...meaning light to moderate weight and see how that feels.

It would be optimum if you could work with a trainer who knows their stuff a few times...doesn't have to be forever...Good trainers remind us what we forgot.

Even though Ive been training a long time with no break, Its amazing what I have forgotten...plus there are new exercises to learn that are great...plus you have an injury to work "with".

6'3 and 255lbs is one large dude and not to be messed with. You can easily harden up that softness you mention.

I am encouraging you. You have great potential. Try to do this right...but if you find out you are making mistakes...find the answers and fix them. Do Not Give Up.

Others are going to chime in here. Listen to them.

Comment

• Remo
      • Jan 2013

Thanks willi. One thing I forgot to mention is that the shoulder took about a year to totally heal up once I was out of work and out of the gym. After that I just could never get back started again. Since then Ive gone through a couple years of school that tended to take up my time.
      I have gotten my blood checked a couple of times. I got him to place me on Trt several years back. I think the last go around he didnt do much except my hormones. Ive checked my lipids and they are good as well. I suppose i could ask him to check my liver enzymes. Its a decent doc to go to. He held the state squatting record back in the late 80s for a year or two. I havent directly approached him about the use of steroids, but maybe I can find a way to bring the subject up.
      I will consider a trainer for a couple of months. We have one in this town that is credible that I know of and hes expensive. The rest are fitness instructors more of less. Im trying to rig a way to video my workouts once i get started so i can get my lifts critiqued as well.
      Ok im babbling on here but i really appreciate the post.

Comment

• willi
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Remo
        Thanks willi. One thing I forgot to mention is that the shoulder took about a year to totally heal up once I was out of work and out of the gym. After that I just could never get back started again. Since then Ive gone through a couple years of school that tended to take up my time.
        I have gotten my blood checked a couple of times. I got him to place me on Trt several years back. I think the last go around he didnt do much except my hormones. Ive checked my lipids and they are good as well. I suppose i could ask him to check my liver enzymes. Its a decent doc to go to. He held the state squatting record back in the late 80s for a year or two. I havent directly approached him about the use of steroids, but maybe I can find a way to bring the subject up.
        I will consider a trainer for a couple of months. We have one in this town that is credible that I know of and hes expensive. The rest are fitness instructors more of less. Im trying to rig a way to video my workouts once i get started so i can get my lifts critiqued as well.
        Ok im babbling on here but i really appreciate the post.
        If you are already on TRT and doctor supervised...wow! you are way ahead.

The trainer you mention is important and a good investment because going and doing things wrong sucks. Be honest with that trainer and say I just need this for while. Another possibility is to watch carefully in your gym...who has decent size and seems to work out sensibly with balanced well cadenced reps. Dont be shy... approach and "briefly" ask for some advice or help. I say "briefly" because if they're good they are in the middle of their workout and their rest periods will be somewhat strict.

As for the use of gear. If you are already on TRT give yourself and your body time to grow on this plus your good diet and your well informed lifting program. See how you do...there is no rush at 40. Get the foundation in place and grow on it for a while.

Comment

• Remo
          • Jan 2013

Yeah thats the way im looking at it right now to be honest. If im smart about this and can avoid injury then all the better. Ill keep a log once i get things started. Working on a diet right now.

Comment

• Freezerdude

Hey RW looks like Willi already has you fixed up brother there's not much more I can add to what he 's said!! Very Solid Advise so god luck brother and if I can help just shout.. I should add I've known Remo since 09 from ss.com and he's a really good guy and thanks Willi for the good advise!

Comment

• Remo
              • Jan 2013

Yeah thanks much both of you. I think Glycoman got gave me some good advice with my test levels and all. Im gonna get that sorted but not put off my lifts. Im gonna start simple with compound lifts but nothing heavy for now. Ill look at the log section and try and make a regular post there once im up and running.

Comment

• liftsiron
                Administrator
                • Nov 2003

Diet is the most aspect of training bro. Also if you had some shoulder issues do adequate warm up sets before your heavy sets.
                ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Remo
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by liftsiron
                  Diet is the most aspect of training bro. Also if you had some shoulder issues do adequate warm up sets before your heavy sets.
                  The shoulder is always in my head, so i know what you mean. I havent lifted but have been in karate/jiujitsu over the last couple of years so i have been able to regain a little confidence in it. My shoulders have some size to them but they have been a weak point for me as well so im looking forward to pushing them some.

Comment

Working...