X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FContact
    • Oct 2003

Study on the Effects of Tamoxifen on GH and IGF-1 Levels

Study on the Effects of Tamoxifen on GH and IGF-1 Levels
    Effect of tamoxifen on GH and IGF-1 serum level in stage I-II breast cancer patients.

Mandala M, Moro C, Ferretti G, Calabro MG, Nole F, Rocca A, Munzone E, Castro A, Curigliano G.

Division of Medical Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141-Milan, Italy. mario.mandala@ieo.it

OBJECTIVE: Tamoxifen suppresses insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) plasma levels in early and advanced breast cancer patients. Relationships between tamoxifen (GH) and IGF-1 are complex and not completely described yet. The present investigation was performed to evaluate the effect of acute and chronic tamoxifen administration on GH response to growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH), as well as on IGF-1 serum levels. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Evaluation of GH after administration of GHRH was performed (a) at baseline, (b) 3 hours after 20 mg oral administration of tamoxifen and (c) after 12 weeks of 20 mg a day oral tamoxifen treatment, in fifteen postmenopausal stage I-II breast cancer patients. IGF-I was measured at baseline and after chronic tamoxifen administration. RESULTS: The GH response to GHRH was significantly reduced after 12 weeks of tamoxifen 10 mg administered twice a day orally (mean peak 3.2 +/- 0.2 micrograms/l, mean AUC 261.3 +/- 18.2 micrograms/minute p < 0.01 versus basal AUC). A concomitant significant reduction of IGF-1 was observed after 3 months of tamoxifen treatment. Basal pretreatment levels of 113.2 +/- 15.5 micrograms/l were suppressed to 70 +/- 7.9 micrograms/l (p < 0.01). CONCLUSION: Our study confirm the inhibitory effect of tamoxifen on IGF-I and suggested, as shown in previous in vitro data, that its suppression could be directly related to GH reduction in response to GHRH stimulation.

Disclaimer: PremierMuscle and FContact do not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information we share is for entertainment purposes only.
  • txbandit

so what this is saying is that nolva (a staple of aas users) is working against your growth the whole time you're taking it?! i'm surprised someone didn't snap to that a little earlier. interesting post.

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

It's to bad that we don't have any studies on nolvadex and other anti-e in male bodybulders instead of female cancer patients. I just wonder how much correlation that there is between the two. Never the less good study.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by txbandit
        so what this is saying is that nolva (a staple of aas users) is working against your growth the whole time you're taking it?! i'm surprised someone didn't snap to that a little earlier. interesting post.

It has been debated for quite some time now. We know that you can make very good gains while using nolva, but would your gains in a given cycle be that much better without nolva or various other anti-e's?
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...