Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Diet and Nutrition
User Name
Password

Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
zillagraybeard
VET

zillagraybeard is on a distinguished road
Stay away from Processed foods.

f you replace all non-intensively processed foods in your diet with ready-made ultra processed foods, you will eat 500 kilocalories more every day than if you only eat non-intensively processed foods. This is shown by an experimental study that American physiologist Kevin Hall published in Cell Metabolism.

Study
Hall and his colleagues had 20 healthy weight subjects eat exclusively ultra processed foods foods for two weeks, and on another occasion gave the same subjects only foods that had not been processed intensively.

Ultra processed foods are ready-to-eat or almost ready-to-eat foods. They are produced at temperatures that are significantly higher than the temperatures in pans on an ordinary stove, often contain little fiber and a lot of salt, and are full of quickly absorbed carbohydrates and bad fats. Examples of ultra processed foods are hamburgers, croissants, soft drinks and juices, mashed potatoes, sausages and pizzas.

The test subjects ate more if their diet consisted exclusively of ultra processed foods. Including snacks, the subjects then consumed around 500 kilocalories more. Those extra calories consisted of carbohydrates and fats.

A possible way in which ultra processed foods increased food intake is shown above. The test subjects ate faster if their meals consisted of ultra processed foods. Because saturation processes need time, ultra processed foods can encourage overeating, Hall suspects.

Conclusion
"Though we examined a small group, results from this tightly controlled experiment showed a clear and consistent difference between the two diets", Hall says in a press release. [sciencedaily.com May 16, 2019] "This is the first study to demonstrate causality - that ultra-processed foods cause people to eat too many calories and gain weight."

Source:
Cell Metab. 2019 May 10. pii: S1550-4131(19)30248-7. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2019.05.008. [Epub ahead of print].

Although ultra processed foods are unhealthy in countless ways, more than half of the Western diet consists of ultra processed foods. Nutritionists suspect that the rise of ultra processed foods has caused the obesity epidemic. Hall wanted to investigate whether that is really the case.

Results
During the two weeks that the subjects ate ultra processed foods, the subjects gained half a kilo of fat mass. If they ate only non-intensively processed foods for two weeks, they lost half a kilo of body fat.
zillagraybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Shit will kill you!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Ripitup
VET

Ripitup is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I try to stay away from processed foods if I can. I would like to know the definition of non-intensively processed foods.
Ripitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
j8296

j8296 is on a distinguished road
When I switched to a more “pure” diet, I noticed my mood and physique improved. With my addictive personality, I used to binge on sweets like no other. Hahaha.
j8296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
j8296

j8296 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripitup View Post
Yeah, I try to stay away from processed foods if I can. I would like to know the definition of non-intensively processed foods.
Valid question, no doubt
j8296 is offline   Reply With Quote