*** Vanilla Gorrilla's Recipes ***

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easto

***EYE OF ROUND***

Eye of Round is not a very tasty piece of beef. Its very lean. This is a crockpot recipe. Normally I would use chuck and not worry about the fat. Its a lot tastier that way. But this will still work with some eye of round.

Hardware:

crockpot
    knife
    cutting board

Ingredients:

3lbs eye of round roast
    seasoned salt
    lemon pepper
    whole carrot, roughly chopped
    whole onion, roughly chopped
    5 garlic cloves, smashed open with blade of knife
    2 Thymes sprigs
    1 rosemary sprig
    Can of low sodium beef broth
    however many red potatoes you like, quartered
    cup or two of peeled, pearl onions
    small bag of baby carrots
    small container of mushrooms, chopped

Place the chopped carrot and onion on the bottom of the crockpot
    and place your roast on top of the veggies. Of course after its seasoned with the lemon pepper and seasoned salt. Throw the garlic cloves in there. I literally smash em', remove the skin, which is easier after being smashed, the skin comes off clean, and throw the damn things in the pot. Doesn't matter were they go. Then I add one thyme sprig on one side of the meat and the other thyme sprig on the other side. Then I place the rosemary sprig directly in the center of the meat. Pretty isn't it? Pour the beef broth in the pot. Set the setting to low and cook 8 hrs. Or on high for 4 hrs.

At the 8 mark add your remaining veggies. Cook another hr or two. Sometimes they all go in, and sometimes I have to remove the roast and add them in to cook.

So there you have it a meat, veggie, and potato dish in one. This usually last's me 3 to 4 days. The beef will be so tender it will shred apart.

But this is much better with chuck roast, but eye of round should work fine.

When I plate it up, I lay down the veggies first, then top them with a mound of meat. Then I pour some of the juice from the crock pot on top. Then I surround the plate with a quarted potato boxing the meat in. So that is 4 potato's. Eat and enjoy.

Comment

• Easto

*** HOW TO COOK A STEAK***

This method that I am about to demonstrate will need to be applied only towards specific cuts. The ones I think work the best are Ribeye, NY strip, and Filet Mignon. So please be sure to use one of those cuts. This does not work well with chuck, flank, or skirt steak. Nor does it with a T-bone.

First of all you will need the proper hardware.

Cast iron skillet or heavy saute' pan, preferably cast iron
      Tongs

The ingredients will be:

Steak of course, I am not going to state poundage but thickness. I recommend a steak that is about 1 3/4 inch thick.

Kosher Salt, not table salt, it will not work. Kosher salt is thick flakes of salt. When applied to the cut of beef it pulls juices from the steak that will later on result in crust formation. Do not think because it is bigger that you need less. You actually need more.

Freshly ground black pepper
      Canola oil

Preparation:

Turn the oven on to 500 degrees with the cast iron skillet in there. Then after your oven has reached 500 degrees let it stay in there at that temp. for 5 more minutes, or however long it takes to prep the steak.

Sprinkle the steak with the kosher salt and black pepper. Be sure to rub it in good on both sides. Then drizzle the steak with the oil. Let that rest.

Remove you skillet from the oven, using gloves please, and place on your largest cooking eye. Turn that eye on the high. Let the pan heat up 3 minutes to temp. You are now ready to blast your meat.

Lay the steak in the pan and do not touch it for 1 whole min. Do not poke, stab, lift, jiggle, peak, punch, ponder, or flip the steak. This is the development of crust formation. Do the other side the exact same way. Yes, there is going to be a lot of smoke. Don't worry that is what your exhaust fan is for. This method of searing will lock all the juices in the meat.

Now take the whole pan and all and place it back into the 500 degree oven. Ok this is going to take some practice. I had an oven in my old house that would cook the steak perfectly 2 min. per side everytime. My new oven will do this 3 min per side. Ovens are different. Never trust one. So at about the 2 min. flip the steak and cook 2 more min. Take it out and check it. For rare to medium rare the temp should be 125-130 degrees. For medium about 140. For done.......who in the hell its a done steak? You can also test the doneness of the meat by poking it with you finger. For rare to medium rare it should fell like the skin between your thumb and pointer finger. Springy.

Now that your steak is done let it rest for 3 min. before you cut into it. You need to let your steak rest and let the juices settle back into the meat. Ever cut a steak and juice went everywhere? Now you know why.

For the Ny Strip and Ribeye this method is fine. A thicker cut like Filet, you may need 5 min per side due to its thickness.

I typed this out this way because I want people to read the whole recipe before ever attempting it. Most of the time if you list the ingredients first people blast right through the rest then make a mistake. So you have to read all the way through my recipes. This will only make you a better cook.

Some of you out there may cringe at the fact of cooking a steak in the house. Most of you think steak is for grills only. Well for you hardcore grillers, when it rains one day please try my method. I bet after that your grill will begin to miss you. This method for cooking steak is used by some of the top chefs in the world. When you go to there restaraunts do you think they run outside and fire up some coals. No.

Thank you for taking time to read this and enjoy.

Comment

• chrissy

Thanks for all the great recepies! Good job

Comment

• CO-B16
          Vet
          • May 2004

damn brotha....you need some employment??? i needs me a good chef... those all look like some tasty recipes... i am going to try that first one tomorrow and see how it goes.. i like the baked egg idea... but carrying those eggs around with me eating them in between meals would cause some big time gas... my coworkers would hate me.... oh well, i can try to hold them in...
          THIS POST IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

YO MOMMA

Comment

• DblDmnGd38

Wow they all look great! Thanks Easto

Comment

• urafreak

nice, thanks easto!

Comment

Working...