Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roughrydr
    • Oct 2017

Challenged In Gym

Yesterday evening I was doing bench press. I had just warmed up with 20 reps at 225. A huge black dude, who I have seen frequently, came up and struck up a conversation. He said he noticed I was throwing 225 around like it was nothing, and asked what my max was. So I told him my best lift ever was like 578 counting collars and all but that had been a few years ago. So he asked what about now. I told him I dont max out any more but if I did maybe 505 on a really good day. So he asks me how many times I can push 315. I told him I have no idea. So he challenged me to do it and find out. He would spot me. I told him okay, but I dont like people hovering over me or touching the bar.
    So we loaded a couple of plates on. He says, whatever you do I'll double. So hell yeah, it's on! I pull the weight out of the rack and start pushing. Now theres a crowd around. Everyone is watching. I get 10 reps, pause, do five more, pause, now they are coming strained but I'm still not bouncing. My shoulders are feeling like they are about to RIP out of socket. But I push, one, two, three four more. I want an even 20, but it's been so long I'm afraid I'm going to damage my shoulders. So I rack it at 19. Probably with one or two more in the tank, but I'm hurting.
    This dude, Ben I found out, crawls up under the weight. 10 reps easy, 20 reps easy, 30 reps easy, but now he's straining. Five more clean reps. 30 freaking 5 reps of 315. I've never seen anything like it before. This dude is massive, chiseled, and just an overall decent dude. He technically lost the challenge. But when he got up I did the bowing gesture with my lactose filled arms telling him I'm not worthy. Then he asked my age. I told him 62. Had to show my drivers license to prove it. He was 28 it turned out. When he saw my license he did the bowling thing to me and said he hoped to still be doing it like I am when he is my age. Minus the hernia belly.
    It was a blast. But I'm sore all over this morning. I doubled my tbol dose this morning and brought lots of protein to snack on today.
    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain
  • Glycomann

Fun stuff. Advil and naproxen is your friend today.

Comment

• Big B
      Banned
      • Jan 2016

Haha good times! Thanks for sharing that..

Comment

• Darkness
        • Apr 2011

Great story. Isn’t it great to still compare yourself to the young athletes ?

Comment

• Roughrydr
          • Oct 2017

It was a blast. The adrenaline dump itself was worth it. I had seen the guy lifting before, so I knew he was strong as an ox. But honestly at 19 reps, I didnt think I would be almost doubled. 35 reps at 315 is incredible. There were people there with cameras out. So it may wind up on you tube or something.
          OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

Good job!
            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Dakota
              VET
              • Feb 2017

Ha, I went to calculate how much 35 reps at 315 translate to on max bench. The calculators don't go that high! 19 reps is 505 so you were pretty spot on.
              The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• HDH
                • Jun 2015

If you spent a few weeks training that weight, you could probably do a lot more. Pending shoulders of course.

Comment

• Friggemall

That is hoy crap badass rough. congrats big man! Very impressive.

Comment

• A1food4u

I'll just sit hear quietly looking at 240......

Comment

• b52
                      • Oct 2006

That's awesome. My old gym used to be like that. There were a couple guys we'd have some friendly competition.

Comment

• Superior
                        • Aug 2018

Much props bro, that’s a excellent story.
                        http;//.

Comment

• mrhtbd
                          • Apr 2015

This is now officially my favorite volume story!

Comment

• A.B
                            VET
                            • Jun 2004

Nice brother. Regardless fckn strong lift. I’m half the reps to you on bench right now. 9-10 reps st 315

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Awesome job both you guys. Brotha benching 315 x 19 at your age is friggin' INSANE! Props!

Comment

Working...