Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HDH
    • Jun 2015

Pushing ourselves...

It's funny sometimes when we are on track, shit dialed in, a head and heart filled with go, then here comes that curve.

I've been sick for about 3 weeks. The first week was moderate I thought and ended up horse and hard to understand. I figured that was the worst because I've just been feeling drained throughout my work shifts and workouts + a cough that hasn't gone away.

The last few days it's been getting worse again, I took my mom out for lunch yesterday and she talked me into stopping by an urgent care (walk in) clinic. It appears I have pneumonia. My dumb ass was at the place thinking about that night's workout and how I was going to lighten up since I've been feeling bad.

We get in that mode and it's like we are machines that just keep going.

Not really a big concern with the pneumonia, I'll take my script and be fine I'm sure. I'm going on 50 now, hell, I'm no spring chicken anymore and have to stop ignoring shit and pushing through shit. I've always ignored being sick and did what I had to do.

It's difficult to get out of that mindset sometimes.
  • b52
    • Oct 2006

I know the feeling. I was sick this spring with pneumonia. I can't even remember the last time I was that sick. Couldn't work all week. Couldn't even get off the couch. Lost 8 pounds in 5 days. Even when the chest harshness subsided I couldn't shake the damn cough for about 2 1/2 months. It would just not go away. I went to a walk in clinic and walked out when they said the wait was an hour and a half. I couldn't even lay down without being extremely discomforted, nevermind sitting in a waiting room. so I went back home to my couch and toughed it out for the next few days. In hindsight I probably should have waited.

Comment

• Glycomann

When I was 50 I was still doing heavy deads in the 500s and squats for sets of 8 with 450. Enjoy it while you got it. That's all I can say. Enjoy it while you got it man...

Comment

• HDH
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by b52
        I know the feeling. I was sick this spring with pneumonia. I can't even remember the last time I was that sick. Couldn't work all week. Couldn't even get off the couch. Lost 8 pounds in 5 days. Even when the chest harshness subsided I couldn't shake the damn cough for about 2 1/2 months. It would just not go away. I went to a walk in clinic and walked out when they said the wait was an hour and a half. I couldn't even lay down without being extremely discomforted, nevermind sitting in a waiting room. so I went back home to my couch and toughed it out for the next few days. In hindsight I probably should have waited.
        I've been forcing myself to eat. Powders are actually helping with that and some better tasting food choices to help me eat. Better tasting = not so good but my protein is staying high to keep from losing muscle.

Originally posted by Glycomann
        When I was 50 I was still doing heavy deads in the 500s and squats for sets of 8 with 450. Enjoy it while you got it. That's all I can say. Enjoy it while you got it man...
        I haven't done anything heavy in 5+ years. My training routines are based on injury prevention as I can start having reoccouring problems.

I still get my muscles tore down properly, it just takes a little longer than going in, throwing down on some big weight and leaving after 45mins or an hour. I definitely burn more cals up during my routines but taking in more cals is an easy fix.

I really wish I would have started training like this years ago. I wouldn't have some of the problems I do today.

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

pneumonia is noting to take lightly, get well.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Get well soon man.

I am the opposite of you - if I am sick, or even not sick but feeling lethargic for some reason that day, I will skip the gym. I always give it my all with the iron, and if I can't, I see it as a waste of time just going through the motions with lighter weights. The extra day(s) of rest will have me recovered & fired up and I will have a killa workout. Listen to your body fellas. - trying to push too hard when you feel like shit is a prime time for an injury to happen.

Comment

• Roughrydr
              • Oct 2017

shots. I hit 55 I started getting the pneumonia and flu shots every year. I've had several acquaintances die from respiratory illnesses in their 50's.
              OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• HDH
                • Jun 2015

Thanks fellas, I'm sure I will be good. Now all I have to do is order some meds online that they gave me for this so I have extra lying around the house in case I have the problem again.

I just ordered from ADC as well and I'm waiting for it to land

Comment

Working...