Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Anabolic Steroid Discussion > Anabolic Steroids
User Name
Password

Old 08-28-2018, 01:52 AM   #1
Dawgpound_Hank

Steroids and Exercise May Improve Recovery of Rotator Cuff Tears

https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/news/view/125

Authors: Stephanie Riesenman for Shoulder1

Abstract
In a novel study, a combination of anabolic steroids and exercise has been shown to speed up and improve recovery of bioengineered rotator cuff tendons, leading researchers to believe the same regimen could improve surgical repair of massive or recurrent rotator cuff tears of the shoulder.

Such injuries are common in high-performance athletes, but also in the so-called "weekend warriors," particularly older athletes.

"Give the difficulty attaining uniformly good results in massive or recurrent postsurgical rotator cuff tears, it is reasonable to consider adjunctive methods to enhance the repair and healing process in these difficult clinical problems," wrote the researchers.

Their study is published in the June issue of the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

The research was conducted at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and was led by Dr. Spero Karas, assistant professor of orthopedic surgery in UNC’s School of Medicine. Dr. Karas extracted samples of tendon from 6 patients — 5 men and 1 woman — with an average age of 52 years, while surgically repairing tears of their shoulders’ rotator cuff tendons. In a lab, the tissues were ground up to release the cells, which were put in a plate of collagen gel and allowed to grow.

Next, the bioengineered tendons were tested under 4 different conditions. No steroid was added to the first tissue group, and it was not manipulated to limit exercise. The second group was treated with the steroid, nandrolone decoanate, but again was not allowed to exercise. The thirds group underwent stretch to simulate exercise, but was not treated with the steroid. Finally, the fourth group of artificial tendon was treated with the steroid and was stretched to simulate exercise.

The bioengineered tendons were examined daily for 7 days to estimate their rate of growth and remodeling. During the first 2 days all samples showed a rapid decrease in width and surface area. By the fourth day the steroid-exercise group showed a much greater decrease in width compared to the other groups. And by the seventh day the steroid-exercise group had the lowest values for surface area and the greatest decrease in width.

The highest level of actin fiber elongation—which maintains the tendon’s integrity was highest in the steroid-exercise group. This tissue also had a more organized cytoskeleton—which makes up the structure of the tendon and maintains its flexibility.

MMP-3 is an important enzyme in tissue degradation, re-growth, and repair. High levels of MMP-3 have been associated with cartilage destruction in osteoarthritis. In the study, the steroid-exercise group demonstrated the earliest increase and highest levels of MMP-3, suggesting accelerated tissue repair. However, by the sixth day, levels of MMP-3 in all 4 groups returned to baseline.

When the researchers ran biomechanical tests on the tendon samples they found that the steroid-exercise group demonstrated significantly greater stress and strain and had higher energy absorption that the other groups.

Overall, the researchers concluded that the bioartificial tendon, treated with steroids and then mechanical strain, were smaller, stronger, denser, and more elastic and had better biomechanical and remodeling properties than untreated artificial tendon. They also said they formed a more normal looking tendon than the untreated group, which had a more disorganized structure.

The clinical application of this research is that the synergistic effect of steroids and exercise may improve the characteristics of tendon—particularly in shoulders that have atrophied tendons or rotator cuffs that have been torn for a long time. Dr. Karas also suggested the possibility of using bioengineered tendon when human tissue is deficient following large rotator cuff tears.

Future studies will examine the long term effects of steroids and exercise on tendon stability, said the researchers.

"Increasing the time between treatment and analysis, or increasing the time of treatment with anabolic steroid and load (exercise), will be another avenue of study to determine whether the effects will remain significant over a long period of time," wrote the researchers.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Nice find. It would seem that steroids would have beneficial effect on tendons without surgery as well.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Dawgpound_Hank

They only used deca in this study - don't know why they generalize saying steroids.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
zeke
Vet

zeke will become famous soon enough
Good post!
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
I am a huge fan of anavar for it's positive effects on callogen synthesis. The only time I don't run it is when I am off cycle.

Good post as most of us old shits will deal with rotator issues at one time or another or like me and always deal with them.

Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
I am a huge fan of anavar for it's positive effects on callogen synthesis. The only time I don't run it is when I am off cycle.

Good post as most of us old shits will deal with rotator issues at one time or another or like me and always deal with them.

Hawk
I always heard var is good for healing as in wounds or burns, but it REALLY helps your RC's too? Fukk if that's the case I need to be running it AND deca both.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
G21
VET

G21 will become famous soon enough
Im just about through my second rehab on my left shoulder, had my right fixed october last year, and left fixed june of this year. Been using GH at 5IU eod, and low dose test. Been stocking up, have a ton of var and NPP, was going to save it for winter, but may hope on now.
G21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
Bigpapapumpaf
VET

Bigpapapumpaf will become famous soon enoughBigpapapumpaf will become famous soon enough
Once its torn, its torn, no healing.

BPC-157 does wonders and I would try that 1st with any pain or discomfort. I would not recommend any steroid because IMHO it will give you a false sense of security and you will make it worse.

BPP
Bigpapapumpaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
willsgotrythm
Vet

willsgotrythm is a jewel in the roughwillsgotrythm is a jewel in the roughwillsgotrythm is a jewel in the rough
That didn't work for me. I ran lots of deca and I love the stuff. I just had surgery. I only had to get one anchor put in, that's all I really know right now. Tomorrow is my post op appt. I cant wait to get through the physical therapy and back in the gym!!!
willsgotrythm is offline   Reply With Quote