X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Puff88
    VET
    • Jan 2019

Botched Shot

2 days ago I did my shot in the quad, a typical favorite location for me, never an issue. I will even alternate and do upper quad (about fingers length when standing upright with arms at side) and lower quad (just a few inches down from there). I used a 5/8 pin this time in the upper, instead of 1 inch. Have done that before, no issue, but usually go with 1 inch. My leg is killing me! Huge lump, swollen, limping, can't bend it, hurts to the touch. I've had this happen in other sites but not the quad. It goes away, sometimes takes longer than others.

When this happens with a shot:
    Is it a sign that your oil went subq instead of IM? Thinking maybe since I'm a little bigger than usual and my quads got a little thicker, the 5/8 wasn't long enough.
    Does it mean that the oil/hormone is not absorbed? Is it a wasted shot? Or same absorption, just different pathway and more pain?

I did do a bit more oil in that one particular shot. But not really enough to consider that the reason for the pain. It was the end of the vial and rather than save half an ML for next time I just cleaned it up in that last pin.
  • wallyd
    VET
    • Aug 2015

I just had the exact same thing happen. Can I ask whose products you’re using?

Comment

• Darkness
      • Apr 2011

This happens sometimes and exactly what went wrong is hard to determine. It sounds like you have a sterile abcess, which is not all that bad. An infected abcess is real bad.

You probabaly got in the middle of a muscle seperation and your body is rejecting the solvents there. Once the inflammation process starts it snow balls.

To expedite healing and make it hurt less, use hot compress. Dampen a towel and heat it up in the mircorwave. Lay it on your sore muscle and let it sit. When it cools, put it back in the microwave and make it hot again. Repeat a couple time. Do this a couple times a day. It will help.

Comment

• wallyd
        VET
        • Aug 2015

I jumped on amoxicillin & it knocked it out quick.

Comment

• Puff88
          VET
          • Jan 2019

It's not an infection. I've had this happen numerous times, just not like this in my quad. Happens everything I try calves, which is why I don't try anymore. Not related to the source or the gear, does not happen nearly every shot. I think it was either not deep enough for the amount of oil, or as mentioned above got in between 2 muscles.

Thoughts on absorption of a shot like that? Is it pretty much wasted?

Comment

• Darkness
            • Apr 2011

Well there’s absolutely no where else for the hormone to go so how would it not be absorbed? Slower but it’s all in there.

Comment

• wallyd
              VET
              • Aug 2015

Agree with Darkness, it’s not wasted.

Comment

• Paramuscle
                • Mar 2018

I’ve had this many times myself and as has already been stated, the cause is difficult. I have had products in the past that I was allergic to the carrier oil and had issues with the same sort of thing but it was EVERY time I shot.

I agree with the others here in that it is going to absorb so that shouldn’t be an issue.

~PM

Comment

• Roughrydr
                  • Oct 2017

Ive had similar things happen. Once the oil even traveled down and settled in my knee. I wondered if somehow i missed the muscle altogether and shot in between muscles. Im a big boy also so it seems unlikely, but i had no other thing i could come up with. The rest of that same vial no problem. Im assuming your other pins from thst vial were no issue??
                  OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Puff88
                    VET
                    • Jan 2019

Correct no issue with other pins from this vial. I'm all good now. Shot was Monday afternoon and by last night was pretty much all clear. Was a rough 1-2 though.

Comment

• Silntrunin
                      VET
                      • Mar 2023

Definitely not wasted. As others said, its in your system so it will get absorbed.

The cause is hard to determine. I've always just chalked it up to a bad injection for whatever reason in the past as it happens every now and again. Especially if the rest of the injects from the same vial were good.

Personally I would say maybe using a 5/8 pin was the culprit. Unless your super lean I find it hard to believe you can get into the muscle deep enough with a 5/8 pin. Just my theory on it.

I recently had a similar experience going from using a 1" pin to 5/8 pin as well. No problems with the gear at all until I made the switch. I'm pretty lean myself but I just don't think you can get deep enough into the muscle with a 5/8. Went back to 1" on the following inject and no problems.

The flip side of that is I got a buddy no where as lean as I am and all he uses is 5/8 pins. So go figure.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
                        • May 2019

Even though I have lean quads with good separation and roadmap veins, no way I would risk using a 5/8" there. Quads are the biggest muscles in the body - go with at least a 1" assuming they're lean. If you don't have decent quad lines showing, better yet to go with a 1.5". I myself would only use a 5/8" on smaller muscles like delts, bis and tris (again, assuming one is lean enuff to get away with it).

Good you have healed up.
                        Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• Puff88
                          VET
                          • Jan 2019

Update on this:

Since that shot in my right quad, i have since had injections into the left quad, left delt, and right delt. All with no issue. A little more pip than usual in the right delt but nothing to make me think twice about anything.

Fast forward to this past Monday evening, i did my inject into my right glute with a 1 inch pin. This time the swelling and pain is even worse than that right quad shot in my original post. Ive never used larger than a 1 inch in the glute and never had any type of issue. i am fairly lean and not a very large dude.

I did legs on Tuesday morning and had a terrible workout. Part of that is because i am 8 weeks into anavar and the back pumps on leg day have been unbearable the last 2-3 weeks. Cut the workout short and spent some good time stretching. Really felt worn out and fatigued that whole day. Wednesday rolled around and i felt like absolute garbage. The pain in my glute is extreme, and causing discomfort all down my leg and lower back. In addition to that, i really started to feel run down, clammy, worn out, fatigued, and like everything just hurt and ached. Sensitive skin, my shirt hurt my skin. Started taking my temperature around 8pm or so lastnight, got as high as 100.9. Took it twice throughout the night and it was 98.4-98.8. Ive only been taking some aspirin here and there. Was so uncomfortable in bed all night i could barely sleep. Could not position myself to where my glute was not throbbing in pain. As the night went on, the pain my glute moderated a bit, but then i was up for some time because i had tension and pain all down the outside of my upper leg and severe aching all around my right knee. I had to get up at one point and stretch it was that uncomfortable.

Ive been doing alot of reading on infections and abscesses. Yes it is warm to the touch and i did have a low grade fever. The swelling is hard to the touch, not soft and spongy. In addition, the swelling itself is a good couple of inches to the left, right, and down of where the actual inject was, its takes up a pretty good portion of my right glute, and is very sore to the touch. Perhaps it was too quick of an inject and the oil did not pocket itself in and rather disbursed throughout a larger area and ended up subq to some extent. It comes and goes as far as being super severe and limping, to just being manageable. But now the aching in the knee is just uncomfortable. My temp has been under 99 since middle of the night.

Im thinking that i may have injected into a nerve, or too close to a nerve. Maybe that was the case with both of these injects. The one last week in my quad went away almost 100% within a few days. This one didnt really start to be a problem until mid day Tuesday, so im trying to give it into tomorrow/Saturday to see it subside a bit. Im thinking nerve because to me that would help explain the discomfort going down the leg into the knee. Nothing is visible to the eye except the glute being swollen, which it certainly is quite swollen. No visible veins, bruising, dark spots, etc.

Im contemplating maybe going to an urgent care to get an antibiotic. I just dont know how honest i can be with them and say i stuck a needle in my ass and now i need an antibiotic, and not risk them notating my record and submitting to insurance.

Either way, i think i am taking a break from pinning anywhere below the waist for a while. My upper body shots have been fine. If its an infection, im not blaming the gear, id blame a bad inject on my behalf. Ive been using the current oils since May, with these 2 shots being the only of any issue. Ive also been using this supplier for about 3 years now. The only time i have ever experienced pain and swelling like this is anytime i have tried to inject in the calf. Which i dont do at all anymore since it leaves me unable to walk for a week and cankles.

I will say, i did recently slightly increase the amount of oil in my shots around the time of that quad inject. Maybe a week or 2 prior. Im doing about .7 ML of a 350mg/ml sust, and .5 ML of a 200mg/ml Mast E, each shot twice per week. Perhaps pinning in the legs with the larger amount of higher concentrated sust is not agreeing with me well.

Through past experience, these instances have always subsided on their own. Sometimes 2-3 days, sometimes a full week. These 2 have just been the worse in regard to pain and size of the swelling. If it was an abscess, id imagine the overall size of the swelling may be more confined to just the abscess itself. This seems to be much larger of an area, very hard to the touch, and feels like it needs to be stretched out but is too sore and too tight.

Comment

• Puff88
                            VET
                            • Jan 2019

I'm really thinking that I hit or came too close with too much oil to my sciatic nerve. That's the only way I can explain the throbbing achy pain down the outside of my quad, outside of my knew, now down the outside off my calf to my ankle. The glute is sore and swollen. The rest is just an annoying ache, like something was pulled or needs to be stretched.

Comment

• Puff88
                              VET
                              • Jan 2019

I don't think it's cellulitis as it does not appear to be a skin issue, it's clearly deeper under in the muscle. This was brought up by some on another thread.

My update from.early this a.m.
                              So yesterday evening from about 4-7pm it felt the worse it probably did all day. It was so sore and so tight, I was limping, and sitting down and getting back up was miserable. Little felt like an old man trying to get off the couch. The aching down the leg and around the knee was also the worse yet. I took a baby aspirin around 730 and laid down. By 9-10pm I felt so much relief. No pain when laying down at all, only when I would go to get up and walk, and no aching anywhere else. I actually slept great too. It didn't bother me at all in bed, complete opposite from the night before - I couldn't rest at all just throbbing pain all night long no matter what position I laid. My temperature all day yesterday was 99.1 or lower. So fever was a 1 day thing. Now that I am awake and up, I still have soreness in the glute and still swollen, though not as swollen as the last 2 days. The pain now feels just a bit worse than normal pip.

I'm getting ready to go to the gym. Will hit chest today. Still feel like the glute will bother me sitting on a bench, but should be able to get through. Yesterday afternoon even thinking about the gym for today I said not a chance, I couldn't even move. Haven't played with my kids the last 2 days because I can barely move around and once I shut down for work all I wanted was to lay on the couch.

I'm taking a break from lower body pins for a while. Think I had poor shot placement on these 2 examples for some reason and they really set me back, especially this last one in the glute.

I just pinned the same product and same amount in the left bicep. Will see how it goes. Anything other than cyp or enan in bicep and I usually do get a little pip, but I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if it is anything worse. I'll be sure to post back tomorrow/Sunday and keep yall posted.

Comment

Working...