How much cardio?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kubie07

How much cardio?

I keep hearing so many different things on how much cardio to do. I do want to build muscle, but I don't want to gain any body fat either. I want a figure competetor body. I lift 5 days a week and do cardio 6-7. I've heard to do it 3x a week, everyday, only do a half hour, do atleast an hour.. I am so lost!!
    Weight: 130
    Height: 5.4"
    Can anyone help!?
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

To much cardio will inhibit muscle growth. Interesting many world class marathon runners are clinically obese because of total lack of muscle they approach or exceed 30% bf% even though they appear to be skin and bones.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Ms.Wetback

If you truly want to build muscle you will always add some bf along with it. If you know how to do it otherwise it would be an bodybuilding first. Just remember if you are serious about doing shows, you do about a 20 trim down previous to the show where you will shed most of your bf in preperation.

Keep the diet super clean and cut back on the cardio, you can build some muscle and then keep the bodyfat addition to a minimum. remeber also, to ADD muscle means an increase in calorie intake.

Comment

• Kubie07

Thanks... sooooo, hmmm, would a 1/2 hour a day be too much??

Comment

• Ms.Wetback

Originally posted by Kubie07
          Thanks... sooooo, hmmm, would a 1/2 hour a day be too much??
          I like the 3X a week at 45 minutes personally. Do you feel the "need" to do it everyday ???

Comment

• Kubie07

I enjoy doing it everyday

Comment

• Ms.Wetback

Originally posted by Kubie07
              I enjoy doing it everyday
              Don't we all ....................

When do you weight train, AM or PM ?

Comment

• Kubie07

I weight train now around 1pm. Once this semester of college is out, I'll be going around 330pm after work.

Comment

• cjas
                  • May 2006

I'd suggest cardio 1st thing in the morning. That will give your body enough time to recover before lifting. Plus it boost's your metabolism in the morning. A very good thing.

Comment

• Ms.Wetback

Originally posted by cjas
                    I'd suggest cardio 1st thing in the morning. That will give your body enough time to recover before lifting. Plus it boost's your metabolism in the morning. A very good thing.
                    So true, I just wanted to make sure she wasn't lifting also in the AM. It would be a lot and your body would be very fatiqued the rest of the day.

Comment

• cjas
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Ms.Wetback
                      So true, I just wanted to make sure she wasn't lifting also in the AM. It would be a lot and your body would be very fatiqued the rest of the day.

Agreed!

Comment

• Kubie07

Thanks!!

Comment

• Friscochick
                          • May 2004

Plain and simple its all about the diet, consistency and paying attention to your body. Id suggest getting a just regular diet off of BB.com and following it to a T.. Change up your workouts to fit YOUR goals... IE: If you want a bigger back do more compound back excercises HEAVY, and concentrate on doing that muscle on a special day alone..

What kind of cardio are you doing? Id suggest rolling stairs or walking on incline on treadmill. 45 min 3-4 times a week sounds good to me. I wouldnt run right now. You will just go catabolic and start burning into your muscle that you have. You need to EAT EAT EAT!! Be consistant with your diet. Its the ONLY way to really see where you can take your body. You should concentrate at getting your BF down to at least 19-20% before thinking about training for a comp....

Comment

• Friscochick
                            • May 2004

BUMP !! Kubie this should address your diet question as well...

Comment

• Kubie07

BUMP???

Comment

Working...