Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > MMA Talk
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2016, 12:23 AM   #1
choke

Jiu-Jitsu Saved My Life: Literally - This past Monday`

So in BJJ circles there is a phrase that says, "BJJ Saved My Life". And many people have reasons to fall behind that statement.

I am posting right here, right now, to say that this is true, for me; as of this past Monday.

I was having a burger and a beer with a fellow Army Infantry brother. And when we were leaving, we were talking cars. He said he'd never driven a Porsche. So I said that he could break his cherry in mine. It's a car, not a status symbol, so why not?

Cut to the chase: He lost control of the car, at a speed I do not know, but high enough to leave the ground to clear a driveway, and lodge in between two trees.

Details of leaving the restaurant and waking in the hospital are a blur. But I woke up to a neurologist in the ICU asking me questions. My buddy spent 18 hours in surgery, and has no use of his left leg as of today. I, on the other hand, have nothing more than a broken back. And I am able to wear a brace, and walk. After being discharged from the hospital today.

That said, the neurologist asked what I did from a physical training stand point. I told him BJJ, kettle belles, Bulgarian Bags, and dead lifts. BJJ I trained 3 to 4 days a week. He told me that BJJ is what saved my life.

He told me that I should at a minimum by paralyzed, and typically dead.
My buddy will be partially paralyzed; I will recover in 3-4 months.

Rest assured, I am still sitting here, in my brace, in my comfortable bed, utterly shocked, that I am not dead or paralyzed. I am counting my "blessings" if you're religious, or damn appreciative and introspective if you're an atheist.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #2
choke

My accident:
Apparently, I made the mistake of trusting a guy whom I asked if he'd had too much to drink, if he could get me home; because I could not drive safely. He will be cited its DUI, I have learned.

I cannot recount the events that led up to the crash, but I have brief flashes that I am told should humor me...

So we wrecked. Bang...
I was unconscious for most of the first responder response.
I do remember the abrupt halt, some pain, looking at the windshield and appreciating the spider web, seeing the tree on the other side of the windshield. I noticed that all of the air bags had deployed, and the dust cloud that happens as a result of the corn starch that is packed into airbags. I remember thing, "wow! This car is well built", then passing out.

Then I remember seeing my friends feet, as he had either gotten out, or fallen out of the drivers seat. We're both military guys, so we are yelling at each other, trying to get to each other. Then I passed out again.

I woke up somewhat in the ER. Then I blacked out. This is when it got funny. So I am told.
A friend of mine is the traffic officer assigned to the case, who was at the ER. He said that I woke up, totally unaware of where I was, and unaware of what was going on, so I started to fight. In his report, my clothes had been cut off. So at this point, I am in polo boxer shorts adorned with martini glasses.

Somehow, I managed to get off the ER bed, and headed for the doors. 4 male nurses were coming to make sure that didn't happen; and I fought. I've been to Army SERE school. So a few on here may appreciate that. These 4 men, got a man, in extreme pain and duress, no clue where he was, highly trained got an old school Muay Thai seminar. But my police friend said that I fought as though I did not want to permanently harm them, only get away.

None the less, he hit me with a taser, and 6 others, grabbed me. And I was placed in a bed with arm restraints. Somehow, I woke up, managed to get out of the hand restraints, and made a break for the ER door. I was going faster than I thought. I was yoked by six orderlies, and placed in arm and leg restraints.

All done, with what I now know, is a broken back.
Adrenaline, plus training is a dangerous thing.

I'm still getting jokes sent to me about what I said to my soon to be ex-wife who decided to show up.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
choke

I can tell you that a Porsche 911 is a damn well made vehicle. Holy shit.
IF my buddy fucked up like I think he did. I truly should be dead.

I was planning on making a post on how awesome GearPro is when it comes to contest winning and customer service; but I'm posting about getting fucked up instead.

Review of the exceptional behavior of GearPro to come.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
Player

Player is on a distinguished road
Wow. What a thing to happen lucky you're alive bro. Easy does it...
Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
blm
Vet

blm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura aboutblm has a spectacular aura about
Damn bro that is some intense near death sht. Glad you're hear to post about it. Seems like you have a great attitude all things considered.
blm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
Glad you are alive brother! How you are able to post up here after all of that is simply amazing.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
Glycomann

Wow brother! good to see you make it out not to bad. This is reminding me of a story about Earnest Hemingway crashing in a plane and surviving. The doing it again. Don't do it again.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #8
choke

LOL! I'm certainly not going to do this again.
I am still a bit in of shock over the reality that my buddy spent 18 hours in surgery, and I broke my L1.

It is still very surreal that I can do anything at all. My car is destroyed. It can be replaced, and may do so, because of the survivability of the Porsche alone.

Fortunately, the ER doc realized what was up, when I woke up fighting. 4 male nurses, were attempting to keep me from leaving the ER, and I managed to throw them. 2 more added in and I got swarmed, pinned, strapped in, and sedated. At some point, I vaguely remembered waking up with restraints on my hands. But they aren't made for guys who've been to a certain military school. I vaguely remember getting out of those, and trying to slip out again.

The ER doc was an Army surgeon and recognized my behavior for what it was, and spoke to me as a soldier, which got me swarmed again. Put back in bed, and this time strapped at hands, waste and feet.

The body is an amazing thing. While I remember almost nothing of this. The body functioned even with a broken L1.

And here I am, less than a week later, sitting in my easy chair. So fucking surreal.

I am highly bummed about a four month layoff however.
GearPro came through with an amazing prize package that arrived; and I've been dying to put it to use. Now I have to wait. But oh well, it's a good opportunity to stockpile goodies.

Write some blogs, maybe even find some suckers to stand in for the training video's that I was about to do (and load em here among other places).

I've been in a job that entails a two way firing range, overtly and discretely. There's been a share of oh shit, damn that was close moments. But none of them have sunk in like this one.

When any of ya'll have had reality checks like this, what did you do?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:33 PM   #9
choke

Wow. I was stoned when I wrote those first posts! LOL!
Just read them again, definitely not lucid when I did that.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #10
bufbiker

Sounds like a blast. I would have loved to have been there.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
A.B
VET

A.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to behold
Count your blessings brothers. Glad you're in one piece. Just crazy. Another reason to live a healthy life
A.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #12
choke

I'm up and moving again. Damn, you forget what muscles do and when.

Just found out that my friend, who I let drive my car, had a BAC of .28.
Fuuuuuuucked up. I had no idea. Didn't seem baked.
So far, I am now up and moving about fairly well, in a back brace that I have to wear until around Thanksgiving. At least it looks more like body armor, and not one of those obnoxious white pieces of plastic.