List of the best anti-oxident filled foods.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cruci
    Vet
    • Nov 2006

List of the best anti-oxident filled foods.

Last month, a team of USDA nutritionists published a study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. The title: 'Lipophilic and hydrophilic antioxidant capacities of common foods in the
    United States.'

Snappy title. But perhaps a more descriptive title would be 'Top 20 antioxidant-rich foods.'

The USDA nutritionists examined more than 100 different kinds of fruits, vegetables, nuts, spices, cereals and other foods. Using an analysis method called the oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC), they were able to detect the lipid soluble (lipophilic) and water soluble (hydrophilic) antioxidant capacities of the food samples.

They also singled out certain foods to test the impact from two different processing methods: cooking and peeling.

Starting at the bottom
    The results weren't altogether surprising: Fruits, vegetables and beans claimed nearly all the spots in the Top 20. We'll start with the lower ten, counting backwards:

20. Gala apples
    19. Plums
    18. Black beans (dried)
    17. Russet potatoes (cooked)
    16. Black plums
    15. Sweet cherries
    14. Pecans
    13. Granny Smith apples
    12. Red delicious apples
    11. Strawberries

If there's a surprise here, it's that strawberries - known for their high antioxidant content - just missed the top ten.

Cream of the crop
    When I began reading the USDA study, I tried to guess the number one antioxidant food before looking at the list. I guessed 'blueberries,' and I was close, but not quite on the money. Here's the Top 10:

10. Raspberries
    9. Prunes
    8. Blackberries
    7. Artichokes (cooked)
    6. Cranberries
    5. Blueberries (cultivated)
    4. Pinto beans
    3. Red kidney beans
    2. Blueberries (wild)

And the number one antioxidant-rich food:
    1. Small red beans (dried)

Small red beans! Who knew? The small red bean looks like a kidney bean - same colour and shape - except that it's (you guessed it) smaller. It's sometimes identified as a Mexican red bean, but it's grown in Washington, Idaho, and Alberta, Canada.

To cook, or not to cook...
    The USDA list is very useful, but it's important to remember that the best way to get your antioxidants is not to eat heaping bowls of dried small red beans each day, but rather to eat a wide variety of antioxidant-rich foods.

That way you'll also get other useful nutrients, such as ellagitannin; a substance that has been shown to help prevent the growth of cancerous cells and is found in raspberries and strawberries. And when you eat pecans you'll add copper and potassium to your diet. Pinto and kidney beans are good sources of folate (sometimes called vitamin B-9), which may help lower homocysteine levels. And blueberries deliver a chemical called anthocyanis that has been shown to help protect brain cells.

As you might imagine, most antioxidant foods lose some of their antioxidant capacities in processing. (The most notable exception is the tomato; the antioxidant lycopene is enhanced by cooking.) Ronald L. Prior (one of the study co-authors) told HealthDayNews that 'fresh' is the unsurprising best choice over frozen, cooked or otherwise processed. So while blueberry pie may seem like a somewhat healthy treat, it can't begin to compare with a bowl of blueberries, picked fresh from the meadow.
    Cruci is a fictional character. He does not use or participate in any distribution of any illegal substance, nor will he make referrals/source checks. You might think that this is some sort of ruse because I am a moderator on here simply trying to cover my ass, but just because I know how to correct a cycle from a clueless dolt who knows nothing of what he is putting in his body (because I know how to read,) I seriously do not get involved with any illegal substances in any way shape or form. I do however believe that it is your right to use them, but I won't help you acquire them. If you send me a PM asking where to buy steroids or to refer you to a source, I will call you a dumbass and tell you to learn to read. Then I will mushroom stamp your sister.
  • Cruci
    Vet
    • Nov 2006

I really don't understand how there could be a difference between blueberries being grown in the wild vs a farm, but I guess there must be.
    Cruci is a fictional character. He does not use or participate in any distribution of any illegal substance, nor will he make referrals/source checks. You might think that this is some sort of ruse because I am a moderator on here simply trying to cover my ass, but just because I know how to correct a cycle from a clueless dolt who knows nothing of what he is putting in his body (because I know how to read,) I seriously do not get involved with any illegal substances in any way shape or form. I do however believe that it is your right to use them, but I won't help you acquire them. If you send me a PM asking where to buy steroids or to refer you to a source, I will call you a dumbass and tell you to learn to read. Then I will mushroom stamp your sister.

Comment

• Trapology
      • Jan 2007

snap
      i love plums!!
      Some Men Aren't Looking For Anything Logical, Like Money. They Can't Be Bought, Bullied, Reasoned or Negotiated With. Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn

Comment

• Cruci
        Vet
        • Nov 2006

I would of guessed that Blackberries would of been on there. That sucks, because that is my favorite fruit.

Comment

• Thate
          Vet
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cruci
          I would of guessed that Blackberries would of been on there. That sucks, because that is my favorite fruit.
          #8!

Those off the vine are the best.

Comment

• Cruci
            Vet
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Thate
            #8!

Those off the vine are the best.
            Damn I misread my own fuckin post. Been busy at work today.

I mix them into the sugar free low fat ice cream or frozen yogurt, and it takes out the mediocre taste of their attempts at a "healthy" ice cream. Adding about 3/4 of a cup usually does it.
            Last edited by Cruci; 11-12-2008, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• JrMaFia
              BANNED for being a JETS fan
              • Oct 2007

i mix blueberries in my irish oatmeal everyday
              Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Goddamn they don't make em' like they used to.
              Cassidy: Fuckin' 80's man, best shit ever !
              Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Bet'chr ass man, Guns N' Roses! Rules.
              Cassidy: Crue!
              Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Yeah!
              Cassidy: Def Lep!
              Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: Then that Cobain pussy had to come around & ruin it all.
              Cassidy: Like theres something wrong, why not just have a good time?
              Randy 'The Ram' Robinson: I'll tell you somethin', I hate the fuckin' 90's.

Comment

• liftsiron
                Administrator
                • Nov 2003

Good post.
                ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• playelm09

List of the best anti oxident filled foods

I dont understand? Its a list saying what category stuff falls into, well fats, protiens and carbs are all important in a health diet in balance, especially for athletes...so whats the point of the list?

Comment

Working...