Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Anyone here in the food industry?

I'm branching out I guess. I have a bakery café under agreement. Getting it for my soon to be wife. She's an unbelievable pastry chef. Her desserts have been featured on magazine covers. I couldn't pass it up, the area it's in is so busy, and booming with business. Foot traffic to boot. Car traffic. Hospital behind the building. Offices upstairs. high school right down the street, all the kids and parents come right through the center right past it everyday. Real nice area. Gives me a plan to get out of my current business down the road into something a little less back breaking. It's established and been in business for 30 years. books look good. just a matter of getting in there and recouping the investment.

That being said, is there anyone that can offer any advice? I used to be a cook for 2 hospitals many years ago, I know my way around a kitchen. Planning on getting in there over winter while I do nothing but plow at that time. she's gonna be there all the time, but I gotta come up with a food menu. Probably hire a front desk person too. Should be fun, and hopefully rewarding.
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
A1 would be the one to turn to...
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Superior

Superior is on a distinguished road
Definitely A-1...
Superior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
A1 has worked as General Manager at Taco Bell for 20+ years now. He helped develop the loaded nachos and nacho fries.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
Around the south the businesses that are busiest apart from large chain restaurants are the hole in the wall mom and pop home cooking type places. Many of them only do breakfast and lunch then close around 2pm.
But if you're wanting fine dining then you'll have to figure out your wheel house; Italian, Steak House, etc.
What is your idea as far as cuisine? Will you hire cooks or trained chefs, etc.
People tell me I should open a restaurant because I cook really well. But I hate the pressure of filling orders on a time table.
What type of food you thinking?

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
A1food4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. BMJ View Post
A1 has worked as General Manager at Taco Bell for 20+ years now. He helped develop the loaded nachos and nacho fries.
Listen burrito boy.....
Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
A1food4u

I'm your huckleberry 52... what would you like to know????
Old 09-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
A1food4u

One quick piece of advise would be this.... less is more...

start ups often make the mistake of starting with a menu that makes them purchase to many items, look for cross use, stick to things that you know you do well, first impressions are hard to change so don't start out with so much to keep track of that you loose direction... hope that makes sense...
Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
We will be doing pastries and some food. Want to be real high end, but not too expensive. Flat bread pizzas. Good sandwiches and soups. The town is all old money.

What am I going to need for permits and licensing right off the bat? I know serv-safe and all that, but is there something I'm not thinking of? Business certificate, insurance, comp.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
A1food4u

If the rules are similar (I'm in WI) you'll need the property inspected by the municipal authority ( don't take for granted that the previous owner was up to date)... next.. call and invite...yes I said invite... the local health department to give you a pre-opening inspection... this does two things, first it gets you off on a good foot with them, second, once you start rolling you don't want to take the chance that you'll miss business having to close for mandated repairs. Too many establishments look at the local health department as the enemy, in truth they are an ally of the highest order. Nurture that relationship.

You need one serve safe certified person in attendance for each shift your open... having the cert yourself is good, having a couple others is best so that you don't feel roped into attendance. I pay for all my senior staffs, it just makes sense....

You say old money... think twists on old food to draw them in. Can your wife make a good flakey pie dough?? if yes high end pot pies or pasties... many will remember there mom's making them... almost limitless in creative changes you can make... Pierogues.... same thing, simple to make comfort food that can be filled in creative ways...

Find someone who can make good soup... and I mean really good soup... todays diners are looking for quick comfy foods, so pair a cup of soup with a small salad and a nice piece of crusty bread...
Old 09-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
A1food4u

In the beginning keep the inventory small until you see trends in your customers....

Don't guess at a food item, make it eat it objectively, take some notes, tweek it...

Seduce your business neighbors... take them samples of your stuff, get them hooked...
Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 AM   #12
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
Great advise.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
b52

Thanks A1. And I make the best soups. I have that part on lock down.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
A1food4u

That's good, it's an art form quickly being lost. Vendors offer cheap quick alternatives but you can always tell a soup made from stock with quality ingredients....

any other questions please just ask... I love to help out... at my age I want to pay back all the great old chef's that shared and made me what I am....
Old 09-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #15
b52

Much appreciated