X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chicken_hawk
    VET
    • May 2018

What they do vs. what I do LOL

Ok, so I'm a nobody and ain't really done nothing, but the little I've done in the strength world is more than your average gym rat. Two shows, five meets and while 280 at 6' is no Olympia threat I say all that not to impress, but tease the so called hard core who show up with their matching outfits and name brand shaker bottles and yet for all their effort barely break 200 lbs.

What they do,
    Eat six meals with macros all counted out
    Have some super caffeinated preworkout
    Train 60 sets of 20 exercises
    Have some super protein post workout shake
    Wear their trendy clother with matching shoes

What I do,
    Eat three or four big meals of whatever I want
    Drink a Gatorade on the way to the gym
    Train 2to 4 big lifts and call it good
    Have a beer on my way home from the gym, eat some read meat and white starches
    Wear some Chuck's, Nike shorts and some sort of novelty t shirt, I have some old school wrestling shirts I like to sport.

Who knows, maybe I'd do better if I did things differently, but the gym bro's results aren't that convincing. Not sure how crazy this looks to you all, but I do know a few other big guys who do things the same way and it is at least an alternative ha ha.
  • b52
    • Oct 2006

If you're getting enough calories in you could eat 3 times a day and be fine. It's just easier for some to break them up into smaller meals so you're not smashing 1.5 lb chicken breast in one sitting. Also if you've been running gear awhile you have to remember that it will pick up some of the slack if there is any. I mean I'm usually under 200 but I choose to stay leaner now than I used to be years ago. I used to do the whole bulk and cut thing, but I just choose to stay relatively lean, even when off. I really don't care about weight, it's more how I look. I'm sure a lot of you guys dwarf me, but my goals are not the same as they once were either.
    Last edited by b52; 08-26-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Hey bro if it works!
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Friggemall

Yep, if it works for you then it can’t be wrong

Comment

• Roughrydr
          • Oct 2017

I took the same approach as you. Still do. I've found that once the foundation is laid after years of busting butt, that I've come to the stage where more is less. I ddon't even post up my numbers any more. I do what I do. Just because you cant and you think you're Billy bad ass doesn't discount what I can do on any given day. And no, I dont feel the need to prove myself to any ody that hasn't seen, because that's not why I do what I do. FTW!
          But yeah, I'm right there with you brother.
          OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

I'm pretty much with ya Hawk - minus the beer on the way home, and a couple more exercises per workout. I do have a protein shake on the way home from the gym too.

The mind is a funny thing. I have had countless 20's - 30 year olds ask me how to get big. I would tell them. I would then see them again next workout doing the same thing they've always done - countless easy sets, not grinding, on their phone 5 mins between sets, etc. I think some guys get into their "easy groove" and really don't want to change. Hard work doesn't have a huge following.

Comment

• chicken_hawk
              VET
              • May 2018

Originally posted by b52
              If you're getting enough calories in you could eat 3 times a day and be fine. It's just easier for some to break them up into smaller meals so you're not smashing 1.5 lb chicken breast in one sitting. Also if you've been running gear awhile you have to remember that it will pick up some of the slack if there is any. I mean I'm usually under 200 but I choose to stay leaner now than I used to be years ago. I used to do the whole bulk and cut thing, but I just choose to stay relatively lean, even when off. I really don't care about weight, it's more how I look. I'm sure a lot of you guys dwarf me, but my goals are not the same as they once were either.
              I get that, I'm done adding size and just focusing on strength. But, it is all about enjoying the journey these days. I think I was thinking that there are all these do's and don'ts that guys follow and maybe the formula is a bit simpler.

Hawk

Comment

• chicken_hawk
                VET
                • May 2018

Originally posted by Roughrydr
                I took the same approach as you. Still do. I've found that once the foundation is laid after years of busting butt, that I've come to the stage where more is less. I ddon't even post up my numbers any more. I do what I do. Just because you cant and you think you're Billy bad ass doesn't discount what I can do on any given day. And no, I dont feel the need to prove myself to any ody that hasn't seen, because that's not why I do what I do. FTW!
                But yeah, I'm right there with you brother.
                Mucho respect brother. We should all think that way.

Hawk

Comment

• chicken_hawk
                  VET
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                  I'm pretty much with ya Hawk - minus the beer on the way home, and a couple more exercises per workout. I do have a protein shake on the way home from the gym too.

The mind is a funny thing. I have had countless 20's - 30 year olds ask me how to get big. I would tell them. I would then see them again next workout doing the same thing they've always done - countless easy sets, not grinding, on their phone 5 mins between sets, etc. I think some guys get into their "easy groove" and really don't want to change. Hard work doesn't have a huge following.
                  I think the issue with the younger generation is that it is now hip to lift. When many of us started we were a much rarer bread. I would say about only 10 to 15% of the guys in my high school class lifted, now it's and elective. So, what you end up with is a lot of chaff with the wheat.

Hawk

Comment

• b52
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by chicken_hawk
                    I get that, I'm done adding size and just focusing on strength. But, it is all about enjoying the journey these days. I think I was thinking that there are all these do's and don'ts that guys follow and maybe the formula is a bit simpler.

Hawk
                    Oh it definitely is simpler than people make it. You see some guys with every supplement they can get and look horrible. Like c4 pre workout. I know this one idiot who pounds it down but has a crap diet, barely eats and stays out all night drinking. I don't even know why he bothers.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by b52
                      Oh it definitely is simpler than people make it.
                      It really is. Hard work, eat sleep, repeat. It's that "hard work" part - year in & year out - that separates the men from the boys.

Comment

• chicken_hawk
                        VET
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                        It really is. Hard work, eat sleep, repeat. It's that "hard work" part - year in & year out - that separates the men from the boys.
                        And the winner is Hank for hitting it on the head!

Hawk

Comment

• Dakota
                          VET
                          • Feb 2017

Consistency is the key. Anybody and be disciplined and work hard for a couple months.

As far as eating discipline, remember the Barbarian brothers? They would eat a half dozen Big Macs. They didn't win high level competition but they were friggin big.
                          The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by Dakota
                            Consistency is the key. Anybody and be disciplined and work hard for a couple months.

As far as eating discipline, remember the Barbarian brothers? They would eat a half dozen Big Macs. They didn't win high level competition but they were friggin big.
                            Not many used the poundages they did. They were freakin' crazy strong.

Comment

• chicken_hawk
                              VET
                              • May 2018

Originally posted by Dakota

They were awesome. Lift hard, eat big and rest as much as possible. We may not all attain that size, but we will be on our way to reaching our own potential.

Hawk

Comment

Working...