X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota
    VET
    • Feb 2017

Sergio claims Steve Reeves used gear.

Disclaimer: I discovered this article, I did not write it. It is listed by an unknown author using a fake name but I found it an interesting article. In full disclosure I edited a paragraph at the end that went off on a tangent that was a political rant.

Steroids Used During The Golden Era Of Bodybuilding
    Exposed: what steroids did the old school bodybuilders take?

Whenever you ask an old-timer about the past, the answer is something like: “Back in my day, men used to be men. We worked harder for a lot less, and we did it all for the love…blah blah blah”.

The truth is that the more we change, the more we stay the same. A lot of things have evolved since the Golden Era of Bodybuilding, but the main principle still holds strong – size at all costs.

the-golden-era-of-bodybuilding

During the 70s, the professional bodybuilders were taking a lot of steroids. The dosages may look somewhat smaller compared to what we see today, but they were no joke. The lifters were just as reckless as the modern muscle behemoths.

Back In The Day When Steroids Were Legal

In the Golden Era of Bodybuilding, when guys like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Frank Zane, Mike Mentzer, Sergio Oliva and Serge Nubret were in their best years, steroids were widely available. Doctors did not know any better and were often giving prescriptions for steroids to young boys trying to get bigger for American football.

At the time, the most popular gyms had a guy acting as a steroid provider. It was not uncommon to find used needles and pills on the floor of the locker room. Of course, this still happens in some underground gyms, but nowadays most people prefer to keep their steroid usage private due to legal issues.

Technically, steroids have never been truly legal. They were simply easier to get until the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 tightened the control.

Currently, it’s much harder to gain access to steroids. That’s why most people either buy them online or through shady dealers.

At the time, people had an easier access to high-quality steroids produced by big pharmaceutical companies. Today, many gym rats don’t even know what they are buying. The chances of purchasing underdosed and/or fake products are extremely high.

Dianabol, better known as Dbol, was one of the first official steroids in North America. According to the mainstream information, it was originally developed in Germany and released in the US in the early 1960s by Ciba Specialty Chemicals.

The main story says that John Bosley Ziegler developed Dianabol to fight “the bad Russians”, who were doping. I personally refuse to believe this story due to the never-ending Cold War between Russia and the USA. I don’t think that the mainstream books are giving us all the information. It’s been documented that steroids under the form of testosterone were already available earlier.

In an article entitled “The Creation of Dianabol and the Myth of Dr. John Ziegler”, Millard Baker revealed that Dbol was first synthesized by organic chemists working for CIBA Pharmaceuticals in Switzerland, and later on Ziegler took the credit in the U.S. because everybody loves a good underdog story, and the Cold War was as hot as ever.

Dbol played a serious part in the history of bodybuilding. It was one of Arnold’s favorite drugs. During the Golden Era, all professional bodybuilders, powerlifters and many average muscle worshipers believed that Dbol was a gift from a higher power.

Back then, people were putting Dbol tablets in candy bowls on the kitchen table. Some bodybuilders did not even count how much they were taking. Little did they know that steroids can have a negative impact on one’s health. Many users suffered serious side effects later.

Sergio Quote

In a controversial interview taken by Brian D. Johnston a long time ago, the popular bodybuilder Sergio Oliva revealed that even Steve Reeves was subject to steroids. Here is the original quote:

“I don’t care who wants to take steroids, because that’s a personal choice… that’s his life. Now, today, everybody has access to them. I even saw in one of the big magazines that Arnold denies having used them, but Arnold was one of the first to bring steroids over to America.

And everybody in the old days used them: Zane, Columbu, myself, Arnold, Larry Scott, Harold Poole, Dave Draper, and even Steve Reeves. There’s no way to deny it. It wasn’t much, nothing like today.

But the development of drugs is much different. I used Deca and Dianabol, and that was something really big at the time; and Deca was not considered that bad.”

Give Me Some Deca, Baby!

Another popular drug during the 70s was, of course, Deca Durabolin. According to some, it was an indispensable drug. Mike Mentzer took a ton of it to build his thick physique.

In an interview published by Iron Magazine, Mentzer supposedly revealed his dosages:

“I took 400mg of Deca Durabolin every 10-14 days,….and no more than five Dianabol a day.”

However, Casey Viator, another gifted and popular bodybuilder, revealed that:

“Mentzer used up to 2.5 grams of deca a week, God knows how much primobolin acetate, along with d-bol and growth, so as I said don’t be fooled about our low doses as we were just as reckless as theses guys are today.”

Like every steroid, Deca comes with many side effects. It’s particularly known for causing the so-called “deca dick” (loss of libido and sexual desire).

Regardless of its negative qualities, the bodybuilders from the Golden Era used Deca for its fast anabolic effect. Deca offered them instant growth, and they signed the contract. It is also believed that Deca has a positive effect on the joints.

On many shady websites selling steroids, Deca is presented as something more beneficial to the body than Vitamin C. Don’t let them fool you! It’s a trap. Those sites are just trying to take your money and have little to no interest in your health.

Winstrol, give me that paper thin skin, please!
    During the Golden Era of Bodybuilding, Winstrol (Stanozolol) was one of the most popular steroids in the USA due to its effects on the skin.

The drug was known to create the so-called paper thin skin that looks and feels like silk. As a result, the user mutates into an alien composed in Photoshop. This is why Winstrol is one of the steroids that fitness models use to ‘tighten up’.

However, as you’re probably already guessing, Winstrol comes with a bunch of side effects. It’s a drug responsible for many tendon ruptures.

In theory, Winstrol gives you bigger tendons by improving collagen synthesis. Unfortunately, the body compensates for this by making them more brittle, stiff, weaker, and more prone to injury. This is one of the reasons why some people are scared to lift heavy when taking this drug. Moreover, Winstrol dries the joints and makes them more susceptible to injury.

Primobolan – the European Connection
    European bodybuilders such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Franco Columbo and Serge Nubret had access to exotic drugs such as Primobolan a.k.a. primo.

In an article entitled “Training With Arnold“, the wrestler Ric Drasin wrote the following:

“Arnold and Franco would bring their supply from Europe. They had the best. Primobolan and Dianabol was what they used at the time. I got all of that I needed from them. Franco would give me the shot as it was a preloaded needle about 3 in long! Scared the hell out of me. But, the results I got from their stuff was awesome. I blew up and got really hard on it.”

Primobolan is considered a hardening steroid taken during the so-called “cutting phases” when the bodybuilder is trying to get shredded for a show. It’s also a drug used by females because of its milder side effects. However, nowadays primo is often faked due to its expensive price.

Human Growth Hormone – Initial Stages
    Scientists have known about growth hormone since the 1920s but only began using Human Growth Hormone (HGH) on kids who were unusually short in 1963.

One of the reasons for HGH’s lack of fame was, of course, its price and the fact that the supply was incredibly low since the only sources were the pituitary glands of cadavers.

This continued for 20 years until the medical community realized that this procedure is likely to transmit genetic diseases. {more detailed history of HGH usage}

During the 70s, very few bodybuilders used HGH, unlike today when people from all walks of life rely on it to remain young and lean.

It’s also important to note that the bodybuilders from the Golden Era stayed away from insulin. This is one of the reasons why they had smaller waists compared to the GH guts carried by the modern pros.

In conclusion
    The bodybuilders from the Golden Era took almost every anabolic drug available to them in order to build muscle mass surpassing the natural potential. Everything that had a chance to produce growth and leanness was approved as a reasonable choice.

One could argue that the dosages were low, but we also have to keep in mind that most modern steroids taken by recreational bodybuilders are illegal and therefore of lower quality. This partially explains why modern steroid cycles look insane to the guys of the past.
    The older I get the better I used to be.
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Where did that article come from. Did you edit it??

Comment

• Dakota
      VET
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
      Where did that article come from. Did you edit it??
      It was just one of my searches for early or reprinted articles. The author didn't use his name. I don't recall now if it was a magazine article or a web article.

As stated in the intro, I edited only a final paragraph that was about poor people being kept poor.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

IMO Steve Reeves looked as natty as can be. With that tiny waist, V taper and killa calves, he would have been a sight to see on gear.

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

IMO Steve Reeves looked as natty as can be. With that tiny waist, V taper and killa calves, he would have been a sight to see on gear.
          I think in Steve's day only test, perhaps dbol was available. I seen an article in which Larry Scott said he experimented with dbol. I seen a number of times where Arnold admitted to taking huge amounts of dbol and test. Nice article Dakota!
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Big B
            Banned
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by liftsiron
            I think in Steve's day only test, perhaps dbol was available. I seen an article in which Larry Scott said he experimented with dbol. I seen a number of times where Arnold admitted to taking huge amounts of dbol and test. Nice article Dakota!
            Arnie claimed he took dbol like candy...

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

I had read a long time ago that Viator & Mentzer had some disagreements concerning business. IIRC it had something to do with Arthur Jones. Either way, I find it hard to beleive Mentzer was running friggin 2.5g ew of deca pfftttt. Pharma grade deca at that - potent stuff. While guys back then may indeed have used more than most think, IMO thats exaggerated bigtime. How the hell woukd he have avoided gyno at that dose with no ancillaries back then. I think Casey had a hair up his ass for Mike, and knows Mike isn't around to defend himself.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by liftsiron
                I'd like to see those articles regarding Arnold. Link? I've only heard him admit to using steriods - and the only one he mentioned was dbol, but he didnt say huge amounts. Ive never heard of him mentionioning any other steroid. Of course others mentioned it or speculated. Not saying he didnt take other gear - thats obvious.

Comment

• Big B
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2016

I'd like to see those articles regarding Arnold. Link? I've only heard him admit to using steriods - and the only one he mentioned was dbol, but he didnt say huge amounts. Ive never heard of him mentionioning any other steroid. Of course others mentioned it or speculated. Not saying he didnt take other gear - thats obvious.
                  I've seen different articles over the years Arnie claimed he took dbol and primabolan. He even said he would take dbol crazy dosages numerous of times throughout the day. I don't recall him admitting taking test but who not taken any test?

Comment

• Big B
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2016

I had read a long time ago that Viator & Mentzer had some disagreements concerning business. IIRC it had something to do with Arthur Jones. Either way, I find it hard to beleive Mentzer was running friggin 2.5g ew of deca pfftttt. Pharma grade deca at that - potent stuff. While guys back then may indeed have used more than most think, IMO thats exaggerated bigtime. How the hell woukd he have avoided gyno at that dose with no ancillaries back then. I think Casey had a hair up his ass for Mike, and knows Mike isn't around to defend himself.
                    No clue what, what as far as Mentzer but just bc one took high dosages of anything doesn't mean he would automatically get gyno. It's those who are prone to it. I've done crazy dosages few years back and never once experienced gyno. When I first started AAS, I took crazy amount of different compounds (yes, including deca) for a long period of time without PCT and still recover just fine. I know a guy locally who only takes test and slin and he's has his NPC pro card. He would take hgh 5-6 months out bf dropping it 4 weeks out from competition, but that's all he ever take, or atleast the last few years. He's a monster. My point is we all respond and react differently from one another. I do think more was involved as far as AAS in old school bodybuilding days than we realize. Guys then were more secrecy to the usage compared to guys today...

Comment

• liftsiron
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2003

They had nolvadex back then.
                      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Dakota
                        VET
                        • Feb 2017

There is debate as to whether Deca aromatizes and can result in estrogen related gyno. There is also the progesterone theory. I used to really love Deca. (who doesn't loves their first cycle?) I prefer shorter acting gear these days but I never had any of the deca dick or side effects that are claimed. Nor have I ever met someone that did. I think a lot of deca dick issues may be psychological. You read it and the next time your dick needs to get hard you start thinking about it too much.

Does Nandrolone Aromatize Into An Estrogen?

Written by Dan Gwartney, MD

Most anabolic steroid (AAS) users are not extreme in their practices. While people find it interesting to discuss the cycles of professional athletes, amazed by the number and amount of drugs used to achieve elite levels of mass and power, the common user tends to plan cycles chosen for convenience and reliability. Though it is often passed over due to its familiarity, the classical cycle for decades was “Deca & D-bol,” referring to nandrolone decanoate and methandrostenolone (Deca-Durabolin and Dianabol). Dan Duchaine (deceased), renowned author of The Underground Steroid Handbook and former AAS guru to many top bodybuilders, once commented that if someone doesn’t grow on Deca and Dianabol, nothing will work.1
                        Deca and D-bol is considered a near-ideal cycle by many recreational AAS users, as it is convenient, inexpensive, effective and relatively free from side effects. [Note: methandrostenolone is no longer sold under the trade name Dianabol] D-bol (a term used generically to refer to all methandrostenolone products) provides rapid gains in strength and mass, though this is accompanied by a significant increase in body water and side effects (acne, irritability, hair loss) are common with higher dose use. D-bol use by women holds a very high risk of hirsute (masculinizing) side effects, including: facial hair, deepening voice and clitoral hypertrophy. It is also important to note that D-bol is a 17á-alkylated steroid, which means that it can cause liver damage at moderate dosages; rarely, cases of liver tumors, malignant cancers, or blood-filled cysts have been reported, posing serious, even fatal threats to a user’s health.2
                        Deca (again, a term used generically for many nandrolone products) is very nearly the opposite. It is slow to act, requiring two weeks or longer to generate noticeable gains, but the gains are usually of higher quality even though they are not as pronounced. Deca does not carry as high a risk of androgenic effects in males even though it binds tightly to the androgen receptor. In fact, Deca is actually converted into a less androgenic metabolite by the enzyme 5á-reductase (the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT and thought to be responsible for hair loss and prostate enlargement). Impotence and loss of libido is infrequently associated with Deca; many AAS users combine Deca with an androgenic AAS such as D-bol to prevent these changes in sexual drive or function. The combination of Deca and D-bol is considered an ideal balance of two complementary drugs by most users.3

One side effect that is not uncommon in many AAS cycles, including the venerable Deca and D-bol cycle is gynecomastia (“bitch tits”).4 Gynecomastia is the growth of breast tissue in a male. This condition is relatively common during puberty and later in life; it is also seen in severe cases of obesity and with the use of certain drug therapies, including: antipsychotics, anti-androgens used during prostate cancer treatment and AAS excess. When gynecomastia occurs during a cycle that includes Deca, the condition is often blamed on other drugs in the cycle, as Deca is commonly believed to be resistant to aromatization. In the case of the prototypical Deca and D-bol cycle, this is reasonable, as one metabolic by-product of methandrostenolone (D-bol) is a potent estrogen, 17á-methylestradiol.2 However, the pristine reputation of nandrolone may be unwarranted and incorrect. Deca is rarely used in one-drug cycles, as it is fairly mild in regard to size or strength gains, particularly in comparison to most other AAS. When used without stacking with other AAS, Deca cycles are generally low to moderate in dose (200mg-600mg/week). It is rare for an adult male to report any significant side effects, with the possible exception of impotence and a reduction in libido (sex drive). This occurs because nandrolone interacts with the androgen receptor and progesterone receptors.5 Progesterone is a female sex hormone, much like estrogen. Many of the steroid-based contraceptives for men being developed within the pharmaceutical industry combine an androgen (such as a long-acting testosterone) along with a progestin.6 While high doses of androgens do lower sperm counts dramatically, to completely shut down sperm production, extremely high concentrations of testosterone are required and the effect is not uniform among all men. Additionally, the concentrations of androgen-only contraception required for effective contraception would result in significant side effects in many people. By combining an androgen and a progestin, researchers have found that fairly consistent contraceptive results can be achieved without introducing significant side effects. As nandrolone is capable of activating both androgen and progestin receptors, it is easy to see how fertility and sex drive could be affected when anabolic (supraphysiologic) doses are used. In fact, natural testosterone production is quickly suppressed and it may take several weeks to months after nandrolone use ends before normal testosterone production is restored. Thus, most experienced AAS users include post-cycle support at the end of a Deca-inclusive cycle, such as hCG and/or Clomid.3

Not only does nandrolone directly interact with androgen and progestin receptors, it also holds the potential of being converted into estradiol (the most potent natural estrogen, commonly a metabolite of testosterone). Herein lies a matter of much confusion. Only recently have the steps involved in the aromatase reaction been defined in sufficient detail to discuss and analyze.7 While testosterone and androstenedione are both natural substrates (starting blocks) for the aromatase reaction, nandrolone is not normally formed in human males in significant amounts.8 In fact, only recently has it been proven that metabolites of nandrolone may be present in athletes absent of the use of anabolic steroids, though again, only trace amounts were produced— below the limits allowed by most drug tests.8 Nandrolone appears to be a very minor by-product of the aromatase reaction that does not accumulate under normal physiologic conditions. Nowhere in the string of reactions involved in classic aromatization is 19-nortestosterone (nandrolone) formed. It is likely that the nandrolone metabolites detected in human males under hCG stimulation represent an overload of the aromatase system with nandrolone being a flawed product, similar to a factory reject.

Confusion prevails regarding the aromatization of nandrolone associated with steroid use. It has been reported by many sources, including respected researchers in prestigious scientific journals, that nandrolone is a non-aromatizable steroid.9 A close examination of related research reveals possible sources for the confusion and provides a concrete answer to the question.
                        The aromatase reaction is a complex, multi-step pathway involving a number of enzymatic reactions.7 It is present in many different tissue types (brain, ovary, adipose, placenta, etc.) and across many different species (human, horse, pig, etc.).10-13 In fact, even certain bacteria are capable of aromatizing androgens.7 In part, solving the hypothesis regarding any possible interaction of nandrolone with the aromatase reaction has been muddied by studying the enzyme system using vastly different sources. It is known that the aromatase enzyme (cytochrome p450arom) varies greatly. Bacterial aromatase has little similarity to mammalian aromatase. Among animals, there are distinct differences between pigs, horses and man that make translating results from one species to the others difficult.7,10,11,14 Further, it has been shown that even within a single species, there are different promoters (signals that “turn on” enzyme production) in different tissues.12 Conditions that may promote aromatization in the testes are different from those of fat cells.

In mammals, the aromatase reaction involves two separate enzymes that are jointly involved in converting androgens into estrogens.7,12 The first, the hemoprotein CYParom encoded by the CYP19 gene (for those of you who need that kind of information), is the catalyst. It attacks the 19-carbon in two steps and the nearby 1-carbon by oxidizing the androgen molecule at those points. The resulting response and actions of the second enzyme (NADPH-cytochrome P450 reductase) cause the loss of the 19-carbon and the simultaneous generation of a phenolic A-ring (a defining feature of an estrogen). In the absence of a 19-carbon, such as in nandrolone, the reaction would be much less efficient if it was even able to function.
                        Many medico-scientific journals have noted nandrolone to be a non-aromatizable AAS. Studies using brain cells have shown nandrolone to be more neurotoxic (damaging to nerve cells) because it is not aromatized. It is true that nandrolone is not a candidate for classic aromatization, as the 19-carbon that is missing from nandrolone is the starting point for the entire aromatase reaction. Interestingly, nandrolone stimulates aromatase in rat models, even though it does not participate in the reaction. This would accelerate the conversion of other androgens (testosterone, D-bol, etc).

Yet, the results of a recent study published in the Climacteric prove that nandrolone and other 19-nortestosterone-derived steroids can be converted into estrogenic steroids through a series of enzymatic reactions that take place in the human liver.15 The catalytic (accelerating) first enzyme, CYP 450arom, is not present in the adult human liver, though CYP 450arom is present in certain liver diseases and tumors. However, another enzyme called CYP 450 monooxygenase is able to attack the 2-carbon of the nandrolone and begin the generation of the phenolic A-ring…the definitive step in converting an androgen (or 19-norandrogen in this case) into an estrogen.
                        Recall that the CYP 450arom played a catalytic role, speeding up the classic aromatase reaction. CYP 450 monooxygenase is much slower and less efficient. This accounts for the comments that nandrolone aromatizes at a rate of 20 percent of testosterone or androstenediol.3 In fact, the rate may be much less. Realizing that Deca is injected intra-muscularly and disperses slowly, and the enzyme system discussed in the Climacteric article was specific to the liver, it is unlikely that standard nandrolone-containing cycles would see a major contribution to feminizing effects from nandrolone being aromatized. However, oral norandrogen-precursors were prominently marketed during the prohormone glory days and an oral norandrogen (7á-methylnortestosterone) is being developed as a potential male contraceptive. It is possible, especially at abusive doses, that such oral norandrogens may elevate estrogen levels sufficiently to cause gynecomastia or other estrogen-related problems. In women provided with oral norandrogens for menopause, researchers speculate that the drugs may hold the potential of increasing estrogen and thus, risk for blood-clotting problems or estrogen-sensitive cancers.15

Nandrolone is considered a relatively safe AAS and has been used extensively by recreational bodybuilders and power athletes. It has rarely been considered to increase the risk of estrogen-related problems, as steroids missing the 19-carbon are not substrates for the classic aromatization reaction. However, in addition to its capacity to stimulate progesterone receptors (a related group of feminizing sex steroid hormones), nandrolone may also increase estrogen levels via a secondary aromatase reaction, promoting the development of gynecomastia and prolonging the delay in restoring natural testosterone production post-cycle. Classic aromatization of testosterone or other androgens may also be accelerated by nandrolone. Oral forms of nandrolone, including prohormones, likely have a much higher estrogenic index and a higher risk of estrogenic side effects due to hepatic (liver) first pass clearance.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by Big B
                          I've seen different articles over the years Arnie claimed he took dbol and primabolan. He even said he would take dbol crazy dosages numerous of times throughout the day. I don't recall him admitting taking test but who not taken any test?
                          Do you (or anybody) have any links to those articles? Not trying to beat a dead horse here haha, but yeah, I've seen thousands of other people say he is famous for his dbol & primo gig, and I don't doubt it. Draisin said so himself - said Arnie would bring the best quality primo in from Europe, which is certainly believable as they hung out alot back then. But being an avid Arnie fan since 15 and reading damn near everything out there on him, I have NEVER once seen HIM talk about high/crazy dosages of dbol, and NEVER seen him mention primo. Hey I could be wrong here - I am merely asking for a link/links, as I would enjoy reading it myself amigo.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by Big B
                            No clue what, what as far as Mentzer but just bc one took high dosages of anything doesn't mean he would automatically get gyno. It's those who are prone to it. I've done crazy dosages few years back and never once experienced gyno. When I first started AAS, I took crazy amount of different compounds (yes, including deca) for a long period of time without PCT and still recover just fine. I know a guy locally who only takes test and slin and he's has his NPC pro card. He would take hgh 5-6 months out bf dropping it 4 weeks out from competition, but that's all he ever take, or atleast the last few years. He's a monster. My point is we all respond and react differently from one another. I do think more was involved as far as AAS in old school bodybuilding days than we realize. Guys then were more secrecy to the usage compared to guys today...
                            I get all that and agree. I just don't buy the fact that Mentzer was running 2.5 g's a week of deca in the mid-late 70's - 1980 (his era). And I'd also guess that a guy in that era - without the myriad of ancillaries we have now - who could run THAT amount of deca without getting gyno would fall in the exception category and not the rule. Yeah, we do all respond differently, but thats a SHITLOAD amount without having prami, caber, etc at hand. Hell even IF they did, that's a ton of deca and to NOT get gyno symptoms would be pretty friggin' extraordinary IMO. Mentzer never had any sign of gyno/puffy nips btw.

I'm curious to what Franco was running for the '81 Olympia - he had the worse gyno of any O winner. Yet he didn't have it in his earlier years.

Comment

• Dakota
                              VET
                              • Feb 2017

I met Franco in 82. He was still big but I couldn't believe how really short he is. My training partner was a powerlifter and Franco taking him into doing his first competition. He placed 2nd in a regional, after he quickly said "fuck that, I like to eat". As far as I know he never competed again.

Comment

Working...