Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • black7
    Vet
    • Feb 2007

a little tip on the deads guys....works 4 me....instead of using the 45lb plates, use the 25lb plates... this will give you a better range of motion because you have to sit the weight down a bit further....with the 45lb weights you reach the floor sooner... also with a few 25lb plates you will be lifting less weight with better form.

i myself will not do heavy deads either because mainly i got a stinger from them that runs along my spine to my neck..... and my grip just is not strong enough... i have small hands
    Tempus fugit, Carpe diem.

Comment

• mrhtbd

small hands, big heart!

Comment

• mrhtbd

Shoulder is still hurting but I will hammer the weights again tonight, as I have found that the more progress I make the more the body tries to stop me.
        It's interesting to note that many of the posters on this are mature lifters and have similar issues as myself.
        I don't feel so alone anymore. LOL

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Squats - 20 years of them took a toll on my lumbar and spine. Heavy leg presses and hacks keep my quads full these days..

Flat bb bench - Haven't flat benched in 15 years...kills my shoulders. Can still rep out 315 x 8-10 on incline bb and press behind neck 275 x 6 though with no pain...go figure.

Barbell curl - Did 'em for years...too much wrist pain doing them these days. DB curls and EZ bar curls get it done now.

Upright bb row - I feel a twinge in the anterior delts that don't jive...not worth the risk for me now.

Front barbell or db raises - Same as upright rows...see above.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by black7
            a little tip on the deads guys....works 4 me....instead of using the 45lb plates, use the 25lb plates... this will give you a better range of motion because you have to sit the weight down a bit further....with the 45lb weights you reach the floor sooner... also with a few 25lb plates you will be lifting less weight with better form.
            I wouldn't recommend it, but thats just my take based on experience and the biomechanics involved. Its NOT better form having to bend over that far...but indeed it IS more ROM of course. Having to bend over that far almost forces one to round their back at the start of the movement, which is a NO-NO. But hey if it works for you, dig it! Just be careful.

Comment

• theartofwar
              • Feb 2010

front squats - which sucks because I loved them - but my knees can't take them anymore - matter of fact squats in general are becoming a problem . Leg day used to be squat day (lol).

I also have been developing some pinch nerve between my collarbone and my neck in my trap somewhere doing any flat bb presses. So might have to cut that out too!!!! Argh, I hate injuries, I have a torn quad and fractured pattela tendons atm , blows.
              Think For Yourself. Question Authority. Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening,terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities,the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.

Comment

• mrhtbd

I have a pinched nerve in my neck that bothers me every day, even when I lift (like last week's upright rows made it worse) but lifting in general helps because it strengthens the muscles surrounding the injury which at least extends my use of it.
                Eventually it will get the best of me, unfortunately, but I am fighting it along the way.

Comment

Working...