Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b52
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by SauerJitsu2005
    Sounds like possibly a hematoma. I always let those go down on their own. It can take a few weeks sometimes. Also, I saw it's a blend so there's a possibility that it may have not been stable post injection.

Keep us posted. Im curious as to how this turns out.
    Imagine if it is and it just so happened to be a coincidence. Wouldn't that be some shit. I've gotten them before and had some crazy swelling but this one was different. This one had the look like I was beaten with a baseball bat. I should've taken a pic but I wasn't concerned with picture taking at the time.

Comment

• Dakota
      VET
      • Feb 2017

Hematomas are generally painless. Redness and pain is a symptom of infection. That is surely the case.
      The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• SauerJitsu2005
        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dakota
        Hematomas are generally painless. Redness and pain is a symptom of infection. That is surely the case.
        I've had a number of hematomas be painful. It's usually the larger ones, but I've had my share of them.

Comment

• Glycomann

Originally posted by liftsiron
          I've done it before, got as much as 3-4 cc's of oily guck out.
          I did the same thing.

Comment

• water43
            Vet
            • Mar 2010

ditto.... ive had to drain mine 2-3x's ...the last time you should only get about .25 cc and feel a lot better and you lymph system should eventually absorb the rest but I stay on cef 10-14 days sometimes like myy last encounter I had the whole back of my leg and behind my knee all puple/red/black/blue the doc said infection and bleeding by muscle under the skin wich causes another infection from the blood in there and put me on cefalaxon 14 days
            Last edited by water43; 12-23-2018, 10:13 AM.
            the right to try law is a title besides its all fiction "everything"

Comment

• Dustined83
              VET
              • Oct 2017

You can but I'm too big of a wuss lol. Seems painful

Comment

• PaulieBoy
                VET
                • Dec 2018

Generally a puncture infection will go one of three ways...

Diffused swelling - The whole muscle will swell up hard and hurt. Generally you can wait this out if you don't develop severe systemic symptoms. That's not the best advice, it's desperate advice. Often this will happen when there's pyrogens in you gear. If that's the case you don't actually have an infection but your body is treating it like you do. Pyrogens are the guts of dead pathogens so that makes sense.

Abscess - You get a knot, it hurts, and it's probably hot. If you don't drain it there's a fair chance your body will encapsulate it. You don't want that as the knot could be possibly there for years. This isn't like a swollen lump it's like a hard marble or golf ball and feels like you can move it around. Once the body encapsulates it and stops fighting the infection it won't hurt very much. You should take a full spectrum antibiotic.

Systemic - You can have one of the above two conditions locally but if you develop a high fever or flu symptoms the infection has likely spread. You need antibiotics and seriously should consider going to the clinic.

I know you solved the issue but I hope this was helpful.

Comment

• gotgame
                  Vet
                  • Jan 2019

Please dont do that again. Filter your gear and bake it every single time you get it before injecting. Use alcohol or chlorehexidine based cleaner on skin before. Wash hands with the cleaner. You should not be getting infections. However with poor gear you can get muscle necrosis

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Originally posted by gotgame
                    Please dont do that again. Filter your gear and bake it every single time you get it before injecting. Use alcohol or chlorehexidine based cleaner on skin before. Wash hands with the cleaner. You should not be getting infections. However with poor gear you can get muscle necrosis
                    Dude what do YOU know?

GG is now at peak! Long overdue amigo, welcome!

Comment

• gotgame
                      Vet
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
                      Dude what do YOU know?

GG is now at peak! Long overdue amigo, welcome!
                      ha. I had to cover for someone tonight at work but my stupid system is down. Someone over at WCBB mentioned this board so i thought id waste some time for a bit lol

Comment

• gotgame
                        Vet
                        • Jan 2019

on an even more serious note if you ever really think you have an infection please do not waste time. Make up some story and go to the ER. I think i recall a board vet from AF dying a few years ago have a bad glute infection and subsequent complications.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

ha. I had to cover for someone tonight at work but my stupid system is down. Someone over at WCBB mentioned this board so i thought id waste some time for a bit lol
                          Well the board suddenly just got smarter with you here haha. You will feel at home here with almost everyone you know from WCBB.

Comment

• b52
                            • Oct 2006

on an even more serious note if you ever really think you have an infection please do not waste time. Make up some story and go to the ER. I think i recall a board vet from AF dying a few years ago have a bad glute infection and subsequent complications.
                            lol. Never really thought I had an infection. Just a really bad pip knot. It was an eq acetate shot which is known for it. I thought I'd be able to handle it, because I inject frequently. Long story short, I can't. I drained the blood out of the knot to relieve pressure. It helped a lot. I took Cephalexin for 10 days just to be safe. I've dealt with enough pip. If I was immediately concerned I would've went to the hospital. I hope I never have to drain blood from a pip knot ever again, but if it ever happens again, I wouldn't hesitate to do it, since it brought the knot down quite a bit.

Comment

• Ripitup
                              VET
                              • Nov 2018

I was always told never to drain an abscess on your own because you can cause problems and even death.

Comment

• b52
                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Ripitup
                                I was always told never to drain an abscess on your own because you can cause problems and even death.
                                This was not an abscess. But yes if it's an actual infection then the doc is the best option.

Comment

Working...