Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Cell phone in the gym

OK brothers, I know I am not the only that has seen cell phone become a center piece of the gym. We all are dependent on them. I have my own business and it is my electronic leash never giving me any peace. However, I put mine in my bag and work out without checking it for the duration. It can wait an hour.

My beef is not the cell phone addicts that can't leave their cells alone for an hour work out, it is that everyone seems to have to use them between every set and anything that has a seat or a bench is place to play on their phone. And of course they are hooked so they don't realize it has now been 5,6, 7, ... 10 minutes since their last set and I want to use the damn machine, bench etc.

Last week I said something to a guy by just asking him if he would "mind if I work in with him" after he was on the same equipment for 30 minutes using his phone. I got the typical "one more set" response and he was gone.

There was a time when I used almost no rest between sets. Now I take a little time but this stuff is over the top. I am still business like and want to get my workout in and get home to continue working from home for the day.

Now that I have sworn off tren I don't bash them in the head with an 80 and pull them out of the way but, is everyone more patient than me are are you guys speaking up and saying "hey other people use the gym too"

I expect it is not just my gym and everyone is seeing the same thing. How are you handling the annoyance?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
01dragonslayer
Banned

01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
How are you handling the annoyance?
I usually don't. I get too frustrated and just choose a different machine or exercise.

I can't stand poor gym etiquette.
01dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
M-C
Vet

M-C is on a distinguished road
I have my phone in the gym. Play music and keep track of my lifts that way. I use to use good old pen and paper but since I have been back. I have been just keeping it in my notes on my phone. However I do not answer texts or phone calls by putting it into airplane mode when I am training.
M-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
01dragonslayer
Banned

01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough
I just keep my phone in my locker. Most everyone I know knows that I train pretty much the same time every day so most of the time they'll just leave a message.
01dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
I havent brought my cell phone into the gym in the past 14 yrs...period...no excuses.
Absolutely hate waiting in some idiot with his head burried in his cell phone taking up gym space. They sit there with their cell phone and lose track of time and spend forever in betwen so-called sets while they take selfies and chat with their g/f about how they're busy working out at the gym ar the moment...blah.
To me thats like bringing a cell phone to a class and spending the whole time texting or whatever.
What do you gain from even showing up except to be a distraction to everyone else who is serious?
So when the guy has been on his phone for X minutes and you want the equipment to you say something or work around it?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #6
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
It stays in my car....I never take it in. I can count on one hand the number of times i've took it in over the past 10 years....and those were waiting for possible emergency calls.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #7
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
So when the guy has been on his phone for X minutes and you want the equipment to you say something or work around it?
I hardly ever have this problem since I built my gym out back. That was worth every penny. But when I do go to a gym that's not mine, like when I was in Nashville and the pencil thin trainer was sitting on a machine I was going back and forth supersetting I walked right up in his personal space and asked him to move. He was just sitting there while he had his client doing a set on the machine next to it.

I thought it was rude on his part as he saw me going back and forth before he decided to use it as his chair. He moved quickly as I'm sure my face said it all. Guy had no business training anyone. Looked like he never touched a weight in his life. But I have no problem asking to work in or telling someone I need a bench or whatever if they're just chilling on it. I'm there to work. I always welcomed guys that wanted to work in with me if they asked because it just meant they were as serious as I was. Met a lot of good training partners like that years ago. In kind of a loner now.

Things are a lot worse nowadays as the younger generation is not as serious but when I do go to another gym I always leave my phone in a locker or with the front desk.

Last edited by b52; 01-09-2019 at 12:05 AM..
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 AM   #8
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
I havent brought my cell phone into the gym in the past 14 yrs...period...no excuses.
Absolutely hate waiting in some idiot with his head burried in his cell phone taking up gym space. They sit there with their cell phone and lose track of time and spend forever in betwen so-called sets while they take selfies and chat with their g/f about how they're busy working out at the gym ar the moment...blah.
To me thats like bringing a cell phone to a class and spending the whole time texting or whatever.
What do you gain from even showing up except to be a distraction to everyone else who is serious?
How can I give this post a big fat "LIKE"?
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:21 AM   #9
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. BMJ View Post
It stays in my car....I never take it in. I can count on one hand the number of times i've took it in over the past 10 years....and those were waiting for possible emergency calls.
(Getting down on one knee) will you be my......

WORKOUT PARTNER?
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:26 AM   #10
Rot-Iron66

Rot-Iron66 is on a distinguished road
I hate it. Im on call all the time (IT job) and I leave it in the car. Of course Im older (52) and have the grumpy old bastard attitude when it comes to it. Started in gyms in 1979 when they didnt even have machines, so yeah...

Farking annoying... : )
Rot-Iron66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:42 AM   #11
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Quote:
Just the other day, a guy was holding up a machine way to long. He was looking at his phone and giggling and laughing out loud. He does this all the time. I said hey buddy if you want to watch fucking cartoons do it at home or out in your truck, don't hold up the fucking machines. He moved immediately.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #12
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
I have very basic, but sufficient weight equipment at home. When I lift at home I'm done on 30 to 40 minutes tops. If I'm at the gum the same workout takes about an hour and ten to fifteen minutes for this very reason.
But I will add that when I ask for a piece of equipment I usually get it pronto. I don't like asking twice, without tren.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
Snakeman
VET

Snakeman is on a distinguished road
I take my phone in the gym everyday. And I do check texts and emails BUT I'm mindful of what's going on around me. I work out with a team and a fair amount of time is spent waiting anyway. But as soon as it's my set or someone needs anything, I'm on it. Generally people dont even need to ask, I know what needs done.
When someone is holding up a machine I want, I have no issues asking them to move. Generally they do so very quickly, as it should be, and as I do if I take an extended sit break while waiting for my turn in the rotation.
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
(Getting down on one knee) will you be my......

WORKOUT PARTNER and sex partner?
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #15
Moto Ace
Vet

Moto Ace will become famous soon enoughMoto Ace will become famous soon enough
As a gym owner, I see this shit all the time! Pisses me off, what the fuck is so important that needs attention right now whether it is a text, email or phone call. I have a couple of clients that I repeatedly give them shit for being on their phone, obviously I do it with a smile...…….. unless on tren
Moto Ace is offline   Reply With Quote