Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjas
    • May 2006

Jumping Rope Anyone?

I'm still in the process of leaning out my legs... I was thinking of incorporating jump roping. Not a lot of jumping but progressive jumping...

I would start with 5 mins and work my way up.

What do you all think about that? Is jumping a good way to lean legs, or is there a better way?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • Deacon
    Vet
    • Jan 2005

it is supposed to be a good way to burn fat I am told - the main question would be if it directly effects the legs or not - anyone?
    Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
    "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• Chickdriller

I jump rope. I do 2 min. then a min. rest for 30 min. great cardio.

Comment

• cjas
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Chickdriller
        I jump rope. I do 2 min. then a min. rest for 30 min. great cardio.

Sounds like a good interval. Thanks

Comment

• DaPit26

I remember back in first grade, I won the kangaroo jump rope contest. I jump roped for like 12 minutes!!! I don't think I'm even coordinated enough or in shape anymore to do it for 2 minutes. In highschool though we had to jump rope with a 5 pound rubber rope as a part in our cardio workout!!! I'll tell you what about a minute with that and you're dead. Heart, shoulders and legs felt like they got a total workout!!!!!

Comment

• idunk42

I dont do it, cuz i hate it and cant seem to do it longer than lilke 2 minutes . But another one of the PTs at my gym does it all the time, and he loves it. He even does a class at the gym for it. His calves are huge, so I think its helped him develop those, but not so much any other part.

And just so everyone knows, this guy isnt some dipshit PT that does all this physio ball shit, and isnt a typical PT. He actually wants to compete one day, so maybe hes on to something...........

Comment

• DaPit26

another good one for tightening up your legs without weights is to grab a box or anything that's at least a foot high (taller for an extreme wotkout) and place it directly in front of you. Now you kind of run in place. Start with your right foot up on the box, then left foot up, right foot off, left foot off. Do this for about a minute. Try to go as fast as you can with out hurting yourself. Then after a minute you'll be dead, wait a minute and then do it again starting with your left foot first this time. That was one of the worst things at wrestling camp. It was killer

Comment

• Friscochick
                • May 2004

Originally posted by cjas
                I'm still in the process of leaning out my legs... I was thinking of incorporating jump roping. Not a lot of jumping but progressive jumping...

I would start with 5 mins and work my way up.

What do you all think about that? Is jumping a good way to lean legs, or is there a better way?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
                I LOVE to jump rope. I have a great speed rope that i use. Here is a great Jump Rope workout that i do.

The Jump Rope Workout

Try this routine, used in boxing classes:

Skip rope for three minutes. (A round in boxing is three minutes long.)
                Take a minute off, and do as many crunches as you can.
                Skip rope for another three minutes.
                During the next minute between rounds, do as many push-ups as you can.
                Back to skipping for three minutes
                Do crunches for another minute. Repeat.
                You can alternate rounds of skipping with crunches and push-ups until you've completed 30 minutes or more of exercise. After the second or third round of skipping, your heart rate won’t drop that much during the crunches and push-ups.

You might not be able to do more than a few intervals of push-ups. Use any exercise you want during the minute between rounds. Try doing squats and lunges (with or without weights) to give your larger leg muscles added work. Do upper-body exercises with dumbbells during that minute. (Use proper form. Don't rush.) One more thing: Skipping rope emphasizes your calves, so be diligent about stretching them.

Another advantage of skipping rope is that you can take one anywhere. If you're traveling and the place you're staying doesn't have a gym, you can bring your own.

Comment

• cjas
                  • May 2006

Looks like an awesome workout Frisco. On paper at least, I might try it at the gym tonight. If you don't hear from me tomorrow I may still be laying on the gym floor!

Comment

• Friscochick
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by cjas
                    Looks like an awesome workout Frisco. On paper at least, I might try it at the gym tonight. If you don't hear from me tomorrow I may still be laying on the gym floor!

hahaha!! Well bring the cell with you! lol

yeah its intense, but you dont have to go full force with it, just an idea to get you started. I love to jump rope. I remember when i started, ohh man id whip myself in the face LOL!!!! but now people are amazed at my jope roping abilities! im a star in the gym!

Comment

• Deacon
                      Vet
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Friscochick
                      I LOVE to jump rope. I have a great speed rope that i use. Here is a great Jump Rope workout that i do.

The Jump Rope Workout

Try this routine, used in boxing classes:

Skip rope for three minutes. (A round in boxing is three minutes long.)
                      Take a minute off, and do as many crunches as you can.
                      Skip rope for another three minutes.
                      During the next minute between rounds, do as many push-ups as you can.
                      Back to skipping for three minutes
                      Do crunches for another minute. Repeat.
                      You can alternate rounds of skipping with crunches and push-ups until you've completed 30 minutes or more of exercise. After the second or third round of skipping, your heart rate won’t drop that much during the crunches and push-ups.

You might not be able to do more than a few intervals of push-ups. Use any exercise you want during the minute between rounds. Try doing squats and lunges (with or without weights) to give your larger leg muscles added work. Do upper-body exercises with dumbbells during that minute. (Use proper form. Don't rush.) One more thing: Skipping rope emphasizes your calves, so be diligent about stretching them.

Another advantage of skipping rope is that you can take one anywhere. If you're traveling and the place you're staying doesn't have a gym, you can bring your own.
                      I remember a routine much like this from my fighting days - it will give you a cardio workout from hell
                      Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
                      "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• Ms.Wetback

I dont typically jump rope. No reason, I guess I like running better.

Comment

• guijr

I do it, really love it, specially when want to lose fat.

Comment

• White Knight 96

i dislike all cardio whether it be jumping rope or running, neither is fun to me

Comment

• TestFreak

jumping rope is a great way to improve overall fitness, strengthen bones, improve agility and the list goes on, Jumping rope can burn up to 1000 calories per hour, making it one of the most efficient workouts possible. It tones muscles in the entire body, developing long, lean muscles in all major muscle groups, both upper and lower. Jumping rope optimizes cardiovascular conditioning and maximizes athletic skills by combining agility, coordination, timing, and endurance.

Comment

Working...