So, don’t open a gym...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd
    • Apr 2015

I have trained in several “Beef-Head” gyms over the years and generally there weren’t many females but I like the Hooters idea. One gym was co-owned by a female and her boyfriend managed the late shift. The guys “meatheads” there teased me like you guys so of course I liked it. One evening I came in and the mgr and 2 friends were laughing behind the desk looking at a small TV. As I signed in I shook my head thinking (this can’t be good)! As I walked away they said, “____, you gotta see this!” “I don’t know, it doesn’t look good,” but after some coaxing I went behind the desk. “Whaaaaat?” There on the screen were bodybuilding girls with 2”-4” clits! I said, “What the hell is this sh*t called?” One handed me the VCR box, I read it, “Chicks with clits like d*cks!” I have never recovered from that day but “Damn” That was a great gym! Hang in there Hawk, maybe invite some local track athletes to train for non-running events. Power programs are cool and even chicks like them! (But sans the VCR!)

Comment

• Rot-Iron66
      • Sep 2016

After Dave Draper closed his World Gym, he said "If you ever think about opening a gym, Don't". But good luck, hope it works out for you.

Comment

• Roughrydr
        • Oct 2017

I love the Hooters idea. Hooters need to stay firm and trained so they dont sag with age.
        OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• mrhtbd
          • Apr 2015

I would like to be served by the Hooter Girls Powerlifting Team! Firm bazoognas with a twist!!

Comment

• chicken_hawk
            VET
            • May 2018

Originally posted by mrhtbd
            I have trained in several “Beef-Head” gyms over the years and generally there weren’t many females but I like the Hooters idea. One gym was co-owned by a female and her boyfriend managed the late shift. The guys “meatheads” there teased me like you guys so of course I liked it. One evening I came in and the mgr and 2 friends were laughing behind the desk looking at a small TV. As I signed in I shook my head thinking (this can’t be good)! As I walked away they said, “____, you gotta see this!” “I don’t know, it doesn’t look good,” but after some coaxing I went behind the desk. “Whaaaaat?” There on the screen were bodybuilding girls with 2”-4” clits! I said, “What the hell is this sh*t called?” One handed me the VCR box, I read it, “Chicks with clits like d*cks!” I have never recovered from that day but “Damn” That was a great gym! Hang in there Hawk, maybe invite some local track athletes to train for non-running events. Power programs are cool and even chicks like them! (But sans the VCR!)
            Ironically, when I first went into the contracting bizz for myself circa early 90's a buddy of mine hired me to do some drywall repair and wanted me to look at a magazine called chicks with dicks. I am still mentally scarred from that day. LOL

But we have a PR night, a strongman and a pling meet all coming up and they look to be big with plenty of vendors and spectators. All this spring so that should bring in some members as well.

Hawk

Comment

• chicken_hawk
              VET
              • May 2018

Originally posted by Rot-Iron66
              After Dave Draper closed his World Gym, he said "If you ever think about opening a gym, Don't". But good luck, hope it works out for you.
              Good advice! I just couldn't stand any of the local gyms full of dbags and thought, I can't be alone LOL. Turns out complain but won't pay another $15 to get away from them.

Ha2k

Comment

• chicken_hawk
                VET
                • May 2018

Originally posted by Roughrydr
                I love the Hooters idea. Hooters need to stay firm and trained so they dont sag with age.
                Ha ha!

Hawk

Comment

• Dakota
                  VET
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by chicken_hawk
                  Good advice! I just couldn't stand any of the local gyms full of dbags and thought, I can't be alone LOL. Turns out complain but won't pay another $15 to get away from them.

Ha2k
                  You have summed it up perfectly. Americans want all you can eat for $1.00. They want the cheapest biggest portions of what ever they buy. That is why Walmart is the world's biggest employer. Americans want a waffle maker made in China that cost $10 bucks and works for 2 months. They SAY that want that European waffle maker that you can hand down for generations that costs $120 but side by side they buy the $10 model.

I have also learned a lesson after 26 years in business that may help you on your pricing structure if you can figure out a way to apply it.

I used to lump some price my contracts with just that, a lump sum. I can't tell you how many times clients bitched having NO CLUE about costs, especially my Work Comp and Liability. "That is a really high number" "that is way too much" "you must be making a 200% profit".

A couple years ago I started breaking out my bids by line item.

Staging Mobilization and Move on. $ 550
                  XXXXXXXX $ 150
                  XXXXXXXX $2,800

XXXXXXXX $1,250
                  XXXXXXXX
                  Tear down and demobilization $ 450

Also instead of including Government fees, permits etc. I put in a paragraph that explains that all those items will be invoiced separately. In my industry they are extreme, often well over 10% of the cost of a project.

Clients now look at my bids instead of seeing a $6,000 bid and claiming "that is way to high" don't give it a second thought. The see the work is costing $150, $2,800 and $1,280 and they are so accustomed to every cable company, telephone service, tire store etc sticking them we fee after fee after fee they don't think twice about the second invoice for their government fees.

You could maybe advertise a "basic monthly membership" that is on par the competition but have add ons that every one is going to take. The basic membership is lump sum but monthly membership has a "processing fee" of a couple bucks. I add on 3% for CC payment. This stuff REALLY adds up at the end of the year and put tens of thousands extra in my pocket. Get your extra $15 a month but get it creatively.

You might think this is deceptive or you can just accept that is how America does business now.
                  Last edited by Dakota; 03-06-2019, 10:54 AM.
                  The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• chicken_hawk
                    VET
                    • May 2018

Originally posted by Dakota
                    You have summed it up perfectly. Americans want all you can eat for $1.00. They want the cheapest biggest portions of what ever they buy. That is why Walmart is the world's biggest employer. Americans want a waffle maker made in China that cost $10 bucks and works for 2 months. They SAY that want that European waffle maker that you can hand down for generations that costs $120 but side by side they buy the $10 model.

I have also learned a lesson after 26 years in business that may help you on your pricing structure if you can figure out a way to apply it.

I used to lump some price my contracts with just that, a lump sum. I can't tell you how many times clients bitched having NO CLUE about costs, especially my Work Comp and Liability. "That is a really high number" "that is way too much" "you must be making a 200% profit".

A couple years ago I started breaking out my bids by line item.

Staging Mobilization and Move on. $ 550
                    XXXXXXXX $ 150
                    XXXXXXXX $2,800

XXXXXXXX $1,250
                    XXXXXXXX
                    Tear down and demobilization $ 450

Also instead of including Government fees, permits etc. I put in a paragraph that explains that all those items will be invoiced separately. In my industry they are extreme, often well over 10% of the cost of a project.

Clients now look at my bids instead of seeing a $6,000 bid and claiming "that is way to high" don't give it a second thought. The see the work is costing $150, $2,800 and $1,280 and they are so accustomed to every cable company, telephone service, tire store etc sticking them we fee after fee after fee they don't think twice about the second invoice for their government fees.

You could maybe advertise a "basic monthly membership" that is on par the competition but have add ons that every one is going to take. The basic membership is lump sum but monthly membership has a "processing fee" of a couple bucks. I add on 3% for CC payment. This stuff REALLY adds up at the end of the year and put tens of thousands extra in my pocket. Get your extra $15 a month but get it creatively.

You might think this is deceptive or you can just accept that is how America does business now.
                    Dakota, this is great breakdown and thanks for taking the time. I wonder if we could do it and interject some humor as well? Just thinking out loud. In reality we chose our price point based on having a limited and exclusive amount of members. Most gyms want as many as possible where we do not. But we could break it down based on all the expenses we incur.

Should a breakdown be based on when we are at full capacity or percentages or our current membership? Perhaps percentages would work best as it would be constant regardless. I am going to run this by the others in my inner circle and will report back.

Thanks,
                    Hawk

Comment

• Dakota
                      VET
                      • Feb 2017

I also started another business about 10 years ago. We were quite successful until I had an exclusive supplier cut my legs out from under me and then I spent the next several years in court. By the time I prevailed I no longer had interest in the company and moved on.

Anyway the point is I had one of the nations best advertising and marketing firms working for me. They are EXPENSIVE. I was toss out $20K a month. But let me give you a summary that I learned during that time. The told me straight out about my products. It is better to be "different" or completely "new and unique", it is very hard to sell "better" unless it is a night and day difference. Your challenge is you are probably closer to selling "better" than new or different. But if you can hang in there financially, I believe you will have loyalty for your product.

I do really like you idea of attracting interest with events. Maybe call some radio stations and see if you can also get them to show up if you can sponsor a great event.

Comment

• Joe0690
                        Vet
                        • Mar 2007

Forget selling supplements you can buy you’ll make more money if u have a counter where you can make a member a protein shake for 5$-6$ and add things like peanut butter banana ... have a couple different choices and with your type of gym people will buy into it buy a shake for after a workout and then shoot the shit with each other about gym stuff n what not

Comment

• Dakota
                          VET
                          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Joe0690
                          Forget selling supplements you can buy you’ll make more money if u have a counter where you can make a member a protein shake for 5$-6$ and add things like peanut butter banana ... have a couple different choices and with your type of gym people will buy into it buy a shake for after a workout and then shoot the shit with each other about gym stuff n what not
                          That is not a bad idea but then you have employees. I think a MUCH better idea is sell that idea to some young entrepreneur and lease them space in your gym to sell shakes and supps. Then you have a guaranteed income stream without the hassle an liability of employees. If it doesn't fly, you are out nothing.

But you don't have the volume of clients to make that fly yet.

Comment

• Joe0690
                            Vet
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dakota
                            That is not a bad idea but then you have employees. I think a MUCH better idea is sell that idea to some young entrepreneur and lease them space in your gym to sell shakes and supps. Then you have a guaranteed income stream without the hassle an liability of employees. If it doesn't fly, you are out nothing.

But you don't have the volume of clients to make that fly yet.
                            I don’t think with only 40 members and all the time he puts into the gym he would really need employees he would just have to do it himself maybe keep the spot close or even connected to the main counter where your stationed anyways

Comment

• Dakota
                              VET
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Joe0690
                              I don’t think with only 40 members and all the time he puts into the gym he would really need employees he would just have to do it himself maybe keep the spot close or even connected to the main counter where your stationed anyways
                              I am not saying it is a bad idea, it just needs a grander scale. No one is going to want to work full time and sling smoothies for 40 members. How many will you sell in a day?

I am thinking much bigger. I think you suffer from a common misconception in business. "if you build it they will come" Most people think they have a great idea and all that is necessary is to open the doors and get rich. That is why almost all businesses fail.

No disrespect intended.

Comment

• Moto Ace
                                Vet
                                • Dec 2015

As a fellow gym owner, we are doing a number of things to attract a wide variety of clients which it sounds like you are focused on a very limited group. SO with that being said, I would look at other ways to generate revenue, ie supplements. We offer Redcon1 supplements as well as a private labeled CBD product line. Right now we have added 450/per week to our gross sales, in supplements only.

Feel free to message me if you would like any more guidance/input.

Comment

Working...