X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chicken_hawk
    VET
    • May 2018

Observation on our members and motivation

So, I am not passing judgement but I have figured out what the majority of my gym members have in common that separate them from other lifters. Since we don't have contracts I have been able to draw differences between the ones that left and the ones that stay. It essentially boils down to motivation. The ones who stick around are internally motivated and will train alone. They may have a partner but will still come train by themselves. They don't need Addaboys to lift although they like being in an upbeat environment.

Those who leave are part of a pack usually and often the ringleader. They are often the biggest or strongest of their pack or in the case of ladies the fittest. They get plenty of encouragement at our place as that is how the gym is. However, as you might expect some are bigger and stronger plus plus there is very little idolizing. Most have never competed which is interesting as it contrasts most of the self motivated group that has. So, it appears this ladder group if I am painting with a broad brush doesn't really want to be challenged at least subconsciously.

So, while I am not disparaging the ladder group I need to target my demographic. How, to focus our message on the Lone Wolf's and those who have a bit more confidence or at least enough to train around other competitors. That is my next question.

Hawk
    Last edited by chicken_hawk; 03-17-2019, 05:57 PM.
  • Aklion
    VET
    • Jan 2019

I think the best way to draw in the "lone wolf" type is to have the type of equipment we need, not have a lot of "extras" like "free bagels on mondays" or whatever, and to create an environment that is conducive to people working out efficiently and respectfully. I haven't worked out with a training partner in close to 10 years. i prefer to be alone when i train, and I don't like going to gyms where I have to wait for equipment, or where there are other things going on that interfere with my session. For instance, my gym used to have a fitness class right at 530pm every week day where the music was so loud that I could honestly hear it with my earbuds in at full volume. A few of us who are there every day spoke with the owners about it, and they turned the music down so that we aren't blasted with techno for a solid hour.

Comment

• chicken_hawk
      VET
      • May 2018

Originally posted by Aklion
      I think the best way to draw in the "lone wolf" type is to have the type of equipment we need, not have a lot of "extras" like "free bagels on mondays" or whatever, and to create an environment that is conducive to people working out efficiently and respectfully. I haven't worked out with a training partner in close to 10 years. i prefer to be alone when i train, and I don't like going to gyms where I have to wait for equipment, or where there are other things going on that interfere with my session. For instance, my gym used to have a fitness class right at 530pm every week day where the music was so loud that I could honestly hear it with my earbuds in at full volume. A few of us who are there every day spoke with the owners about it, and they turned the music down so that we aren't blasted with techno for a solid hour.
      LOL. Yeah, an hour of techno is a bit much for sure. It's interesting you mentioned equipment, because when we first opened we would post and brag about having hammer strength, dbbs to 150s, chalk and multiple squat racks in our little 4k SF gym which was more than our competitors in their 20k SF gyms. Now, in the past few months two out of the three private gyms (the rest are franchise chains) have added another rack and dbbs to 150. Must be watching my kids LOL. But one key thing you said, was none of the extra fluff and waiting around. I can sell both those points.

Thanks,
      Hawk

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by chicken_hawk
        So, I am not passing judgement but I have figured out what the majority of my gym members have in common that separate them from other lifters. Since we don't have contracts I have been able to draw differences between the ones that left and the ones that stay. It essentially boils down to motivation. The ones who stick around are internally motivated and will train alone. They may have a partner but will still come train by themselves. They don't need Addaboys to lift although they like being in an upbeat environment.

Those who leave are part of a pack usually and often the ringleader. They are often the biggest or strongest of their pack or in the case of ladies the fittest. They get plenty of encouragement at our place as that is how the gym is. However, as you might expect some are bigger and stronger plus plus there is very little idolizing. Most have never competed which is interesting as it contrasts most of the self motivated group that has. So, it appears this ladder group if I am painting with a broad brush doesn't really want to be challenged at least subconsciously.

So, while I am not disparaging the ladder group I need to target my demographic. How, to focus our message on the Lone Wolf's and those who have a bit more confidence or at least enough to train around other competitors. That is my next question.

Hawk
        Good post, I have many of these exact observations over the years. lol, I'm of the lone wolf variety.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Darkness
          • Apr 2011

I have no wolf pack.

Comment

• A1food4u

go right after them with direct info..... if you have HEAVY DB's say so, if you have a massive amount of 45# or 100# plates say so... if you never have an ass hat curling in the squat racks, say so....

Have a big dude at the desk who is always available to spot a heavy lift and say so!!!

Comment

• chicken_hawk
              VET
              • May 2018

Originally posted by liftsiron
              Good post, I have many of these exact observations over the years. lol, I'm of the lone wolf variety.
              Apparently, most of us here are. Which would explain the initiative to get on the boards in the first place. We don't want to take someone else's word or rely on them. We want to read it and get it ourselves.

Originally posted by Darkness
              I have no wolf pack.
              I had no doubt brother!

Originally posted by A1food4u
              go right after them with direct info..... if you have HEAVY DB's say so, if you have a massive amount of 45# or 100# plates say so... if you never have an ass hat curling in the squat racks, say so....

Have a big dude at the desk who is always available to spot a heavy lift and say so!!!
              I did boast on much of the unique stuff till ironically two of the privately owned Foo foo places actually added exactly what we had. Guess they've been watching my kids lol. But now I am gonna step it up and talk on the personal stuff, like ass hats etc. The stuff that really matters. I've been playing it cagey and will still be tactful, but it's do or die and so the gloves are coming off.

Hawk

Comment

• b52
                • Oct 2006

I feel we're all lone wolf's here.

Comment

• jalakes
                  VET
                  • Apr 2018

Originally posted by b52
                  I feel we're all lone wolf's here.
                  I hold the same view. You can hear it in the content of a lot of people's posts. The gym is for work and solitude - the board is for support and comraderie.

Comment

Working...