Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Training
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2019, 05:18 AM   #1
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Is Cardio Essential?

Is Cardio Essential?
Yes... and no. Here's what every smart lifter needs to consider.
by Chris Shugart | 10/22/19

Is cardio essential? In a nutshell, yes. Sorry.

Let's break it down:
Is cardio necessary for a powerlifter to lift a heavy barbell once?

No. But if he'd like to meet his grandkids – or least not be a wheezing sack of soft potatoes by age 40 – then yes.
Is cardio necessary to lose fat?

No. Does it make fat loss faster and easier to maintain? Yes. It also improves insulin sensitivity, which basically allows you to "use" carbs better for things like stimulating protein synthesis and restoring glycogen.
Is cardio necessary to build big muscles?

No. Can a little cardio help you become a better bodybuilder? Yes, via improved capillary density and venous return, higher work capacity, better/faster recovery, etc. And you won't gas out during long time under tension training, supersets, drop sets, or other tiring hypertrophy training methods.
Do you need a lot of cardio?

The good news is that it doesn't take much. For the slow stuff, try two sessions per week, 65-70% of max heart rate or 120-140 BPM, for 20 minutes. Throw in a CrossFit-style workout every once in a while. Shorter-duration HIIT and longer-duration cardio have unique heart health benefits, so you need a blend.
Do YOU Need Cardio?

Here's a popular test I came up with a while back:

Run one mile on the treadmill with the speed set at 6 miles per hour. Don't try to go faster; the idea is to be able to SUSTAIN this pace.

That'll take you exactly 10 minutes and it should be pretty easy. If it's not, you need cardio... or you're just too fat. Either way, you've learned something.

Here's another way to know. Let's say you're doing a classic drop set on the leg press: you do 8-10 reps and your partner takes off a couple of plates when you reach failure or close to it. After a couple of drops, what gives out first – your legs or your ability to breathe?

If your legs have a few more reps in them but you just can't suck in enough air, then you need some cardio.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
Glycomann

Deaded but necessary. I do the minimum. 12-15 min on the step mill 4-5 days a week and 20-30 min heavy bag/speed bag/judo drills work once a week. Makes a big difference though.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
01dragonslayer
Banned

01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough
Great post lifts.
01dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Moto Ace
Vet

Moto Ace will become famous soon enoughMoto Ace will become famous soon enough
Great post...….looks like my hour of cardio four days a week may be too much
Moto Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
I agree....it's such a need for health, but often overlooked. Even Duchaine was known to promote it and mentioned he'd never seen anybody lose muscle by doing a measly 30 minutes per day of moderate cardio. It makes me feel much better, can breath better, can sleep better, see better partitioning effects, look better, better labs....it's a no brainer.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
As much as we can dread cardio especially after letting it slip for a while it brings a feeling of general well being when you are faithfully doing it.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:07 PM   #7
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
I can't even run a mile, let alone run it in 10 mins.lol Who here can run a 10 minute mile all bs aside?
Dawgpound_Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:07 AM   #8
Glycomann

Just my little bit of cardio keeps me in some sort of cardio shape. This morning BP 115/72, pulse 49 and body weight 196. Last cholesterol total was 172. A year ago after doing a lot of traveling my BP was closer to 145/90 and pulse in the high 70s with cholesterol over 200 and body weight about 212. It makes a pretty big difference especially over 50.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
As you can see by checking out my log, I'm a cardio addict. I can't go without but the only downside is that it makes me very hungry.
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:36 AM   #10
therealj
VET

therealj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerKy View Post
I can't even run a mile, let alone run it in 10 mins.lol Who here can run a 10 minute mile all bs aside?
I routinely run 7 min miles, I hate cardio so I incorporate plenty of interval sprinting into my training to simply get it over with quickly. Highly effective at melting fat and my 11 year old son still can't catch his 42 year old dad
therealj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #11
choke

Quote:
Up until this lovely brain injury got wild, I was running 12 minute two miles, at 215. Which is down from running 11:15 two miles when I was in the Army. But that was a ripped 180'ish...

As of this morning, my mile is about 7 min.
Hate cardio, but on the mats and in the ring, it's more important than punching and kicking power.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
therealj
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Up until this lovely brain injury got wild, I was running 12 minute two miles, at 215. Which is down from running 11:15 two miles when I was in the Army. But that was a ripped 180'ish...

As of this morning, my mile is about 7 min.
Hate cardio, but on the mats and in the ring, it's more important than punching and kicking power.
Impressive, I broke 12 min for 2 miles once and that was enough for me. A few years back I was going train to try and break a 5 min mile but I gave up, hard to push yourself to do something you despise.

I'm not as big as a lot of you monsters on here, always floated around 190-210 at 6'1.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #13
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
I envy you guys ^^^ cardio shape. TRJ you must be proud that you can still outrun him. I can outrun my 7 y.o son hahaha - but for only 150-200 yards or so max - after that I get winded and he passes me on by.
Dawgpound_Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #14
therealj
VET

Quote:
I envy you guys ^^^ cardio shape. TRJ you must be proud that you can still outrun him. I can outrun my 7 y.o son hahaha - but for only 150-200 yards or so max - after that I get winded and he passes me on by.
haha...I should rephrase, I'm still faster than him...likely not for much longer though and if it was long distance he'd kick my ass lol
Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #15
choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealj View Post
haha...I should rephrase, I'm still faster than him...likely not for much longer though and if it was long distance he'd kick my ass lol
Exactly in the time frame that your old age and treachery become viable tools in your child oppression arsenal... Said as someone with a 14 year old daughter that's gotten REALLY good at BJJ and Judo... Treacherous, I've had to be I tell ya... Kids these days... :-)

I'm NO ONE to give cardio/running advice, but...
When I was in the Army, one of the NCO's we had was just a damn stud, and he got us to run with this odd hip roll worked into the stride, shoulders were kinda held a bit high, chest out, chin up, next thing we know, our squad was in the 6-6:30 minute miles. He also mixed in Indian runs: sprint for a quarter mile, then slow jog a half or full mile, for 5 miles. Worked like a charm.

Still do that today actually.

I forgot about this till now, but I have a workout that was written by the guy who's now the strength and conditioning coach for American Top Team. Which for you non-martial arts/MMA guys, is one of the main teams in the sport. He may be selling this plan now, so if you use this, be discrete. I'll post it up shortly.

That said, it is probably THE BEST strength and endurance plan I've ever seen. It is geared towards MMA performance, but you'd be hard pressed to find better cardio outside of just running your ass off. The benefit of this is that it's amazing for strength and endurance as well.

~I'll put it up shortly.