Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Health and medical articles
User Name
Password

Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Low T Affects Younger Men Also

Low T Affects Younger Men Also

by Monica Mollica Brink Zone

The consequences of low testosterone levels have been primarily investigated in middle-age and older men. However, low-T in young men aged 20-39 years can confer health risks as well…

Low total testosterone levels are associated with an adverse blood lipid profile, which includes high TG and low HDL [1, 2], and a decline in total testosterone levels predisposes men to increased risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and mortality.[3-7]

In a notable study 1468 men aged 20–79 years were followed for 5 years to investigate if baseline total testosterone levels might be related to future development of an adverse lipid profile (aka dyslipidemia).[8]

When all age groups were analyzed as whole, those men with the lowest total testosterone levels at baseline were found to have an increased risk to develop of an adverse lipid profile by 28% compared to the men with the highest baseline total testosterone levels.

More interestingly, age-specific analysis revealed that young and middle-aged men (20–39 years) with the lowest baseline total testosterone levels had the highest risk of incident dyslipidemia. Compared to age-matched men with the highest baseline total testosterone levels of 663 ng/dl or higher, those with the lowest baseline total testosterone levels of 418 ng/dl or below had on average a 51%, and up to a twofold, greater risk of developing an adverse lipid profile that in turn could contribute to future risk of cardiovascular disease.[8]

This study shows that testosterone levels have health implications for men of all ages. Since treatment of low-T with testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) has beneficial effects on blood lipids and cardiovascular risk factors [9-11], this study further underscores the importance of early detection and treatment of low-T in men regardless of age.

References:

1. Agledahl, I., et al., Low serum testosterone in men is inversely associated with non-fasting serum triglycerides: the Tromso study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis, 2008. 18(4): p. 256-62.

2. Makinen, J.I., et al., Endogenous testosterone and serum lipids in middle-aged men. Atherosclerosis, 2008. 197(2): p. 688-93.

3. Haring, R., et al., Low serum testosterone levels are associated with increased risk of mortality in a population-based cohort of men aged 20-79. Eur Heart J, 2010. 31(12): p. 1494-501.

4. Morris, P.D. and K.S. Channer, Testosterone and cardiovascular disease in men. Asian J Androl, 2012. 14(3): p. 428-35.

5. Wu, F.C. and A. von Eckardstein, Androgens and coronary artery disease. Endocr Rev, 2003. 24(2): p. 183-217.

6. Lin, J.W., et al., Metabolic syndrome, testosterone, and cardiovascular mortality in men. J Sex Med, 2011. 8(8): p. 2350-60.

7. Araujo, A.B., et al., Clinical review: Endogenous testosterone and mortality in men: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 2011. 96(10): p. 3007-19.

8. Haring, R., et al., Prospective association of low total testosterone concentrations with an adverse lipid profile and increased incident dyslipidemia. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil, 2011. 18(1): p. 86-96.

9. Saad, F., Androgen therapy in men with testosterone deficiency: can testosterone reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease? Diabetes Metab Res Rev, 2012. 28 Suppl 2: p. 52-9.

10. Saad, F. and L.J. Gooren, The role of testosterone in the etiology and treatment of obesity, the metabolic syndrome, and diabetes mellitus type 2. J Obes, 2011. 2011.

11. Traish, A.M., et al., Long-term testosterone therapy in hypogonadal men ameliorates elements of the metabolic syndrome: an observational, long-term registry study. Int J Clin Pract, 2013.

-
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
T1DMMA2BB
Vet

T1DMMA2BB is on a distinguished road
This hits close to home for me. Low T almost ruined my marriage, I am actually still picking up the pieces from everything that transpired with my suffering from this. I wouldnt wish the not knowing of someone having low T like I did for almost a year on anyone. Thanks for the read Lift, very informative.
T1DMMA2BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Magnesium
Vet

Magnesium is on a distinguished road
it was very hard for me to get treatment for my low testosterone after developing a medical condition. It took two years of blood work coming back in the 200-300 range before I convinced my doctor to start treatment. And that was me telling him it was either him writing a script or me doing it myself.

I'd seen endocrinologists who during my initial interview before seeing them seemed promising, but once they found out i'd been an athlete their attitude took a complete 180.

All around the board they were eager to prescribe thyroid meds and anti-depressants when test results and my attitude warranted neither.
Magnesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
T1DMMA2BB
Vet

T1DMMA2BB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesium View Post
it was very hard for me to get treatment for my low testosterone after developing a medical condition. It took two years of blood work coming back in the 200-300 range before I convinced my doctor to start treatment. And that was me telling him it was either him writing a script or me doing it myself.

I'd seen endocrinologists who during my initial interview before seeing them seemed promising, but once they found out i'd been an athlete their attitude took a complete 180.

All around the board they were eager to prescribe thyroid meds and anti-depressants when test results and my attitude warranted neither.
Yea thats pretty crappy. My blood work came back a 218 then again after six months came back at 183. Now I have a script for the test. I have never felt like that before though. It was a pretty intense depression that I experienced while going through that too. Like I said previously it almost ruined my marriage. Glad you are doing better though. That is a good thing.
T1DMMA2BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Good info!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #6
liftsiron
Administrator

Bump^^^^^^
Old 10-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #7
Glycomann

I think the biggest negative for me and low T was the brain fog. I found it difficult to recall some names and information or at least it took longer. Once in normal range it was like the switch was turned back on.