Fans will vote for Mr. Olympia

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Fans will vote for Mr. Olympia

NEW YORK, July 10, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- American Media, Inc. (AMI), owner of the Mr. Olympia contest and Joe Weider'sOlympia Fitness & Performance Expo, today announced that for the first time in the event's history, fans will cast one of the votes to select the 2018 winner of the Mr. Olympia, the sport's premier event. This also marks the first time ever that this type of voting will be used at an IFBB Professional League event.
    "Having our fans vote for Mr. Olympia continues AMI's tradition of adding new and exciting experiences to the sport's premier event each year," said AMI Chairman and CEO David J. Pecker. "The 2018 Olympia will make history because it raises the stakes for all the competitors, ensuring that the field taking the stage at Orleans Arena on September 14 and 15 will be the best ever."
    Ticket holders for the judging round on Friday, September 14, and the finals on Saturday, September 15, will receive a special code with which they can evaluate each competitor and cast their vote on their phones. The fan votes will be collectively counted as one vote, joining the votes of the judges on the panel.
    "The audience at a bodybuilding contest is different from those of the UFC, the NFL, and other sports," IFBB Pro League President Jim Manion says. "The fans are more than spectators—they live bodybuilding and fitness. Just go to any show and you can see it isn't your normal passive crowd. Many compete or have competed before. They are experts and know what to look for, and I believe they deserve a say in the final outcome."
    In the event the athlete earning the fan vote does not win the title, that competitor will be crowned the 2018 People's Champion.
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

Interesting. Throw in a little WWE.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Big B
      Banned
      • Jan 2016

I like that. Sorry Phil, you wouldn't get my vote...
      Last edited by Big B; 07-12-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Roughrydr
        • Oct 2017

It's good and bad. It's good that it slightly removes the element of politics which has been an issue for decades. It's not so good in that it will become a popularity contest and may not necessarily go to the one in the best shape. But then again, it's only one vote of what, seven? Or including fans, eight now?
        Bodybuilding is so subjective. It's all a personal opinion. I would not vote for someone like a Frank Zane, but would vote for let's say a Big Ramy.
        OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Dakota
          VET
          • Feb 2017

I don't like it. Homecoming King is for High School.
          The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Big B
            Banned
            • Jan 2016

Not voting for winner of Mr. O but voting for the new award People's Champion...

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

From MD:

Today's announcement generated an immediate reaction from the IFBB pros planning to compete:

"Hearing that the fans will have an active role in who they feel should be the 2018 Mr. Olympia is a great idea! I will do my very best and give it my everything to be the last man standing in Las Vegas come September." —William Bonac, 2018 Arnold Classic champion and 2017 Mr. Olympia second runner-up.

"Fan voting changes the game and will make a huge difference. I am all for officially naming a People's Champion, because I am always the People's Champion." —Shawn Rhoden, 2016 Mr. Olympia first runner-up.

"Yes! I think this is going to be great! I'm always the People's Champion, so this could finally be Sandow No. 2 for me!" —Dexter Jackson, 2008 Mr. Olympia.

Interestingly enough, Phil Heath, the current Mr. Olympia, who will be going for his record-tying eighth Sandow trophy, had no comment on the fan voting.

Comment

• A.B
                VET
                • Jun 2004

Very interesting. Don’t know how this will go.

Comment

• Big B
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2016

Bc Phil knows darn well he would never win People's votes..

Comment

• Dakota
                    VET
                    • Feb 2017

Maybe I will get a teeth whitening and take a how to win friends course, and give it a go......
                    The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

Working...