Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Female Discussion > Female Diet Forum
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
jrod

jrod will become famous soon enough
diet and training help

I have no experience with training women so I really need one of the ladies here to help me come up with a good training routine for my wife. She is 40 and is having a very difficult time losing weight. Her eating isn't bad however, she could probably make some adjustments. Her goal is to lose weight and tone muscles with the emphasis on losing weight! If someone could layout a fairly basic regimen for 3-4days a week at the gym, I would greatly appreciate it. She is not a beginner but not advanced either.
Thanks for any help!
jrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Cardio bro. At least have her do 30-45 minutes 3-4 days a week. I'm not a chick, but when I go to shed fat, I drop my calories, and up my cardio. even the way I lift changes. I do shorter rest periods, and I superset opposing exercises, that way your strength isn't effected, and gets your heart pumping. That's the key. Get the heart rate up. It ain't easy, but if she's not a beginner she should be able to handle it. Watch the sugar too. Spiking your insulin, at rest is a good way to be counter productive. Eat whole grain foods, complex slow digesting carbs. Eat brown rice instead of white rice. Yams instead of white potatoes. Whole grain bread instead of white bread, you get the picture. Limiting these to morning, before and after a workout is a good idea. Eat green veggies for the rest of her meals. It's all about controlling insulin spikes, and reducing the food that causes it. Low GI foods, only, except a day to cheat.
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
What time does she work bro? Is she a morning person? I'll see if I can come up with a routine for ya. How active is she currently? I'm surprised more women haven't responded to this.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
jrod

I'm surprised as well. We both like to work out in the morning before work. She is not really a morning person but will get up to work out.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
jrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Cardio bro. At least have her do 30-45 minutes 3-4 days a week. I'm not a chick, but when I go to shed fat, I drop my calories, and up my cardio. even the way I lift changes. I do shorter rest periods, and I superset opposing exercises, that way your strength isn't effected, and gets your heart pumping. That's the key. Get the heart rate up. It ain't easy, but if she's not a beginner she should be able to handle it. Watch the sugar too. Spiking your insulin, at rest is a good way to be counter productive. Eat whole grain foods, complex slow digesting carbs. Eat brown rice instead of white rice. Yams instead of white potatoes. Whole grain bread instead of white bread, you get the picture. Limiting these to morning, before and after a workout is a good idea. Eat green veggies for the rest of her meals. It's all about controlling insulin spikes, and reducing the food that causes it. Low GI foods, only, except a day to cheat.
She doesn't eat a lot of sugar but we have a tendency to eat late since we get home later from work. We will eat around 8:00 or 9:00 on many nights so I'm trying to limit the amount we eat at night so it's not do much to digest during the night.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
b52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod View Post
She doesn't eat a lot of sugar but we have a tendency to eat late since we get home later from work. We will eat around 8:00 or 9:00 on many nights so I'm trying to limit the amount we eat at night so it's not do much to digest during the night.

Start prepping your food one day a week. That way there is always something when you need it.

First find out what her goal weight is, and have her eat for that weight. ie: 130lbs Calculate macros for desired weight, not her current weight.

Eat lean! And portion size is key. I'll let you do the math for that, unless you really need me to. I'll post an example meal plan, and you can figure out how to fit her workout in there, just so you know to replenish the carbs pwo.

2.5-3hrs apart

Breakfast- egg whites, oatmeal(or 1slice of whole grain bread, 1 tbsp, peanut butter) Cup of green tea, no sugar

mid morning-protein bar

lunch-chicken breast, sweet potato, spinach

2nd lunch- chicken breast/tuna/turkey, green beans/broccoli, cup of green tea no sugar.

W/O (shake after workout with water)

dinner(example: pwo meal 45 min-1hr later) chicken/fish, brown rice, spinach

before bed- chicken breast, spinach

Obviously you can switch some stuff up, just stick with complex carbs, and lean meats.

Workout routine. Superset these exercises back to back. 90 sec rest. rep range 12-15 Heart should be pounding after first couple sets.

Monday- Chest/ back :

dumbbell bench press, one arm dumbbell rows 3 sets

incline dumbbell bench press, lat pulldowns, 3 sets

push ups, pullups 2 sets

Tuesday- Cardio: jump rope 5 rounds 3 minutes each, hit a punching bag another 5 same time duration if you have one, or run on a treadmill or elliptical 30-45 min. Whatever time fits her schedule, just be consistent with it.

Wednesday-bi's, tri's ,abs

preacher curls, laying tricep extensions, sit ups 3 sets

incline alternating dumbbell curls, dips, leg raises 3 sets

cable curls or hammer curls, reverse tricep cable extensions, planks 3 sets

Thursday- Cardio

Friday- Legs, shoulders

Arnold press, squats 3 sets

side lateral raises, deadlifts 3 sets

upright rows, lunges 2 sets

leg press 3 sets

Friday-Cardio

Rest Saturday and Sunday. Allow her to cheat once a week, just so she doesn't go crazy. Hope this helps. give it a shot, she should start dropping weight, just make sure her food portions are correct.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
b52

Workout in the morning if you both workout before work. Eat your carbs earlier in the day with the first three meals.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
jrod

Thanks for putting that together bro! I really appreciate you taking your time to put that down!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 AM   #9
goldengirl

Hmmmmmm. I don't really have all that much extra to add, I think. I apologize for being MIA! Also, on rest days, I like to at least get out for a bit of a walk or something. Especially if I've shredded my muscles the day before- I really find that it helps to loosen up my body and ease the sore muscle strain.

Is she on a multivitamin? That's something I'd potentially invest in as well.