Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Training
User Name
Password

Old 06-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #1
bufbiker

How I Increased My Bench Press

Notice the title. I'm not saying this is THE way to increase your bench numbers. In fact it may not even work for you. But this is how, in a couple of years, I went from a 475 personal best to a documented 575 raw press and undocumented 585 in training. Take from it what works for you and ignore the rest.
I'm not doing this because I think I'm somebody like Mendy or CT, but only because DP Hank asked me to probably out of curiosity. So no ego involved here. Just relating what has worked for me out of respect for a brother of iron.
First there is no secret routine, although I do have a trick that works, but rsther it's a combination of things, everything from genetics to grip, supporting muscles to feet positioning.
This will probably be lengthy, and I apologize, but there is just not one simple answer to how I'm able to lift what I lift at my age. So if you're interested here goes. If not #&!= off. Just kidding.

Last edited by bufbiker; 06-11-2015 at 08:54 AM..
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
bufbiker

#1) Genetics. God has blessed me with the perfect body for power lifting, short and fat. Because my arms are shorter than a guy that is 6'4" or whatever, I don't have as far to push. And because I have a large chest and body the distance between full arm extension and my chest is less than that of a taller person.
I am also blessed with thick legs which does two things, gives me stability and gives some drive when exploding up on the push.
I was also gifted with very strong connective tissue which helps in longevity.
#2) Grip. For years I used an open palm grip, probably the wrong term, but who cares. By that I mean not wrapping my thumb around the bar. What this did for me was to utilize more tricep and shoulder. And back along with the chest. But one day my hands were wet a slippery so I wrapped my thumb around the bar. I realized that I had these fat little arms with bulging biceps, and with the open grip was completely bypassing my biceps. But by getting them involved in the push I was much stronger.
Again, this is just me. I know what the pro's say and do, but I'm not them.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 AM   #3
bufbiker

#3) Supporting Muscles. You will not increase your bench by simply bench pressing. Other muscles are involved and the stronger they are the bigger your bench will be.
The lifts you need to focus on IN MY OPINION are bench press, military press, lying tricep extensions, curls, bent over rows.and squats. You can add dead lifts if you're young but my back is a little messed up so I can't do them anymore.
Now, pay attention because this is very important. Do all of these exercises first when you are at your strongest and do them as heavy as possible, even if you have to cheat a little bit except on curls. Use strict form on them or your defeating the purpose. A bigger bicep gives you, how do I say this... it's like a coiled spring or a cushion when the bar is on your chest and gives you a bit of extra push as you push the resting bar off your chest.
Think about what each muscle group contributes to the bench and you'll understand my logic.
For military press I do both seated and standing. Mainly because I can't get some of the amounts of weight I use out on a regular seated position but standing I can pull it out resting on my upper pecs.
Again go as heavy as you can without hurting yourself. Remember, if you're injured you can't train.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
bufbiker

#4) Rep Ranges. I use a pyramid system. I start light, like 225, then work my way up. But you don't want to burn yourself out warming up so keep the reps 15 or less, I only do 8 reps at most warming up, but that's more age related than anything else.
Here is why I pyramid up, two reasons. First it allows your body to progressively get used to the weight so you know your limitations on any given day. Remember, some days you'll be stronger than other days, and then some days you'll be swearing your gear is bunk.
The second advantage I GET from pyramiding up is as I gauge my strength on that day I know about how high I can go. For example, Monday I worked up to 515 and did two reps. That went up fairly easy both reps so that told me I could hit 535, 545 no problem on that day, but probably no more. What that does is gives me confidence that I know I CAN hit those weights if I go there
Confidence is a huge asset. Not overconfidence. Overconfidence is another word for stupidity. I'm talking about confidence as a certainty in your personal abilities based on experience. Let me say, I've rarely hit a lift I didn't think I could do. I asked my wife to come outside and spot me once on I think 545. She kept saying you're going to hurt yourself, you're going to hurt yourself. I didn't get the weight up even though I'd done it many times before. Confidence!
Let me say here, I don't train with a set agenda, I'm doing three sets of this at these weights then three sets of this at this weight, etc. I know I'm training bench press but need to feel my way into where I'm going for that day.
So pyramiding up. If I want a better pump I'll pump out some lighter weights when I'm done.
Something I want to add, when I approach bench training, that is what I'm doing, training for bench press, I'm not working chest, I'm working bench.

Last edited by bufbiker; 06-12-2015 at 09:36 AM..
Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
bufbiker

#5) Sticking Points. We all reach a place where we plateau. Some people use planks, some chains, some rubber straps. I train primarily in my back yard in what I call the Dog Pound with my shepherd/dobie mix dog as my spotter. No bands or planks there, so I use single rep max lifts.
I warm up, pyramid up and gauge my strength for that day, then do five, one rep max sets. Let's just say I had an easy day at work, slept well the night before, had plenty of good nutrition for the day and today I'm hitting 555 no sweat (confidence based on warm up) so I load the bar and do five sets of 555.
This forces the body to adapt to lifting that amount of weight at any given time, the body gets used to it.
Now body builders, with your 90 seconds of rest between sets take a big deep breath because you're going to be resting four or five minutes between sets. Or ten minutes if that's what it takes for you to be recovered enough to do it again. You just don't want to allow the muscles to get cold or you're inviting injury. Usually four to five minutes is good for me and I've still got the blood flowing to the muscles.
By the way I do this on bent over rows, mindful of the back, and especially military press. I'm not doing five sets but I will do three. Again, this is me.
Added) Because I train alone with my dog for company, I don't have a spotter. Stupid, right? As a result I have to know I'm able to get that weight or I'm stuck with over 500 lbs lying on my chest. Obviously I don't use collars in training just in case. But it also adds an element of fear and the fight or flight syndrome kicks in. Because I'm short and stout as people like to call me I can't run, so I fight. You can't run once you've pulled that bar out of the rack and it's on its way down. You're left with only one option, you HAVE to get that weight back up and into the rack. I use that adrenaline rush from the fear to fuel that push.

Last edited by bufbiker; 06-12-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
bufbiker

#6) The Actual Lift. A couple of things that have helped me.
Raw you don't have the advantages of a power shirt. But I have tried them before. Think about what they primarily do, they pull your shoulders together creating a stronger push. So as you pull the bar out of the rack keep your shoulders pulled together as you lower the bar the uncoil as you push upward.
Use a comfortable foot position, but make sure your legs will keep you stable. You need a solid foundation first to push with, and second in case you stumble unracking and need to maintain balance.
When you push up drive from your feet. Butt firmly planted, back arched and shoulders square. This way you are pushing with your whole body not just your upper body. That's why heavy squats are so important. They are the foundation for it all.
#7) Recovery. Make sure you are recovered from your previous session before you train the same muscle group again. Don't do bench if you're still sore from your last bench session. That's why we have aas, to help us recover faster and better.
Eat for recovery. You're not going to be your strongest if you're eating like a body builder prepping for a contest.
#8) Find what works for you. I've been weight training seriously since 1984 when I went to prison the first time. Now 31 years later I'm stronger and bigger than I've ever been, well I'm not 275 anymore and don't want to be, I heard the Michelin Man died of a heart attack, but you get my point. And at this stage in the game I know my body better than anyone else, have done it all and tried it all, so I don't need to try to emulate what someone else is doing because I'm not them and respond to things differently because I'm me. Be yourself, screw everyone else. Even all this dribble because we are all different. After you learn the badics, understsnd your body and it's kinesiology and your biomechanics be your own man or woman I guess if you're Bruce Jenner.

Added) I didn't touch on breathing, how to breath, which is very, very important. As you slowly lower the bar with complete control take a deep breath in. When the bar hits your chest you make the air explode out what martial arts guys call a kia. This contracts the "core" muscles and creates an additional rush of adrenaline. It will add to your one rep max. Glyco and Choke can probably explain this better.

Last edited by bufbiker; 06-12-2015 at 09:54 AM..
Old 06-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #7
bufbiker

Added) I didn't touch on equipment. I have a very raw work area. Hand made benches with 3/4" pressure treated plywood bench. I throw an old quilt over my benches for padding. Very crude. But one thing I did have the sense to do is I had my bench tailor made to my arm length so when I come out of the rack I don't have to push up to get it out, I'm already at full extension. Also you won't get the weight back in the rack until you're at full extension. So consider that if you're doing a home gym.

I'm sure I'll add to this later but I need to do something at work even though it's raining today.
Hope it helps. If not, "YOU AIN'T ME MEAT HEAD!!! :-)"

Last edited by bufbiker; 06-12-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
There is a ton of great information in this thread, thank you for taking the time bro.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
bufbiker

It's Hanks fault.
Thanks.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Dawgpound_Hank

Thank you Buf!

I know you're a busy guy putting in long days at work, working out, family time, so I appreciate the detailed info and I'm sure everyone else that reads this thread will too.

Not many guys out there going on 60 can bench what Buf does - very rare indeed. We can all learn from this.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #11
reps
Vet

reps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nice
Tons of great info......thanks for sharing buf
reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #12
basskiller
Administrator

Location: My personality is who I am, My attitude is who you are
basskiller is a splendid one to beholdbasskiller is a splendid one to beholdbasskiller is a splendid one to beholdbasskiller is a splendid one to beholdbasskiller is a splendid one to beholdbasskiller is a splendid one to beholdbasskiller is a splendid one to beholdbasskiller is a splendid one to behold
Wow!!! Why you haven't created more threads like this is beyond me. So many can learn from your experiance.

BTW, I fought with an old drywall hanging partner of mine for years about #1..
I could alway deadlift more than him, but benching, he would wreck me. The guy was about 5'6" and me being 6'3" .. I always said it had alot to do with him only having to push it half the distance. Which mean there is alot more strain when your between 1/4 to 3/4 into the actual lift.
It seemed like the length of my elbow to hand was almost as long as his entire arm..

That's not to say he wasn't strong.. we were both oxes back then hanging around 100 sheets a day.
Great work!!!
basskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
bufbiker

To be honest I don't want to come off as a know it all or sound like I think I'm all that. I don't have all the answers or claim to. All I know is me, and I'm nobody and happy that way.
Yeah Bass bro, it makes a ton of difference. Lower center of gravity for squats and shorter distance on bench press. Also let's say you at 6'4" and me at 5'7" and we're both 275 lbs I could have a bit of strength advantage because I'm more muscle, assuming we're both equal percentage of bf.
And 100 sheets of drywall in one day would kill me.

Last edited by bufbiker; 06-11-2015 at 07:16 PM..
Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #14
joe1313
VET

joe1313 is on a distinguished road
Great thread and thank you bufbiker.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #15
A.B
VET

A.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to beholdA.B is a splendid one to behold
good post bro... I was going to post it but you covered it at the end of the post on the importance of breathing and timing the breaths for certain points of the lift- very important it can affect (for me at least) the difference between lifting 20lbs more
A.B is offline   Reply With Quote