Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A1food4u
    • Apr 2024

renewed perspective

Spent this weekend with the family. Went up to the north woods for a wedding. Stayed at the in laws cabin on the lake... ( one regret, I was probably really close to lifts and should have called him to have a beer) it had been years... forgot just how relaxing it is.... cell service is spotty there so no work interruptions...fish weren't biting as strong as I would have liked but I really didn't give a shit,,, saw a nesting pair of bald eagles fishing... saw a family of otters playing in the weeds while I was slapping water for musky.... had a scare in the early morning when the dogs caught sent of a bear that had left a pile in the driveway and they took off for a bit after it....

But perhaps the best part of the weekend was the wedding. These kids have there act down right. Many of you know what I do for a living, providing for the whims of the rich. Weekend after weekend of flying in stock, of brides who MUST rent china for the feast because our color scheme doesn't match their brides maids dresses. Orchids flown in from new Zealand, brides with two wedding dresses one for sun and another for rain or snow. Renting linens to match a theme, (like we'd have crappy linens) and the pretentiousness of The meal itself.... The temper tantrums you see on those tv bride shows are real people, I see them regularly.....Not these kids though. ( I should be careful, after all it's how I make a living)

We were told to dress casual, no jackets no ties ladies no heals. After the beautiful ceremony in a church overlooking a lake we went to the county fair grounds where they had decorated a barn. In front of the barn was a long stretch of grass covered with every lawn game you can imagine, In the middle were two canoes filled with ice and beverages. The idea was that the families should mix and mingle and get to know each other over a fun game in the yard. There were little kids EVERYWHERE, they were included as being important not excluded because they might make noise at an inappropriate moment. I learned a game played with a Frisbee, a 4 foot pvc pipe with a point on it a beer bottle wrapped in tape, you scored by knocking the bottle off the pipe but only if the other team didn't catch both the Frisbee and the falling bottle, the only real rule was that you played one handed because you MUST have a beer in your other hand...lol...

The wedding feast was a buffet in the barn, it was simple but I may have never eaten better. BBq chicken and pork ribs, roasted potatoes , sweet corn and watermelon... instead of a gaudy over priced wedding cake each family had brought its favorite dessert, what a spread... I made such a pig of myself, must have been the fresh air... My wife said she hadn't seen my smile so much or be so relaxed in years... and I felt relaxed and happy... truly truly happy....

just thought I'd share....
  • Acneman
    Banned
    • Oct 2016

good for you buddy

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

Yup, should have called.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• A1food4u

How close are you to Presque isle ?

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by A1food4u
          How close are you to Presque isle ?
          Are you talking Presque Isle county in lower
          MI?
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• MR. BMJ
            • Apr 2006

Those are the times that are far and few in-between, unfortunately. When they do come around, it's like a load of stress has been taken off your back and you just feel relaxed and great. it's nice when you can just feel truly relaxed and enjoy yourself at an event like that. I bet a wedding up in the woods would have been beautiful!?

Comment

• A1food4u

Nope Presque Isle WI 5 miles from the UP

Comment

• BikerTrash
                Vet
                • Aug 2011

Sounds like an excellent time ....Good to get out of the box per say once in awhile

Comment

• ozzy69
                  Assistant Admin
                  • Jun 2011

Good on you brother!

Comment

• Friggemall

Nice, glad you got away.

Comment

• Dakota
                      VET
                      • Feb 2017

Your making me homesick
                      The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• mrhtbd
                        • Apr 2015

Sounds like a marriage off to a right start! Three points: 1) a bad day of fishing bests a good day at work every time, 2) lawn games are fun, but if you're holding a beer, skip the lawn darts, 3) "everybody bring a dessert," is the coolest party idea I've ever heard!

Comment

Working...