Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Training
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
The Leg Press and Real Strength

The Leg Press and Real Strength
Can you build strength in the leg press, or is it nonfunctional? Coach Carter lays the smack down here.
by Paul Carter | 02/07/19

Some coaches say the leg press is worthless. Probably those "functional" coaches who have people balancing on a Swiss ball while juggling a couple of midgets.
ADVERTISING

Here's the funny thing about these clowns – they had to change the term to "functional strength" because, as one might guess, the leg press and other machines can in fact be used to build strength!

So they couldn't say, "Well, machines don't build strength." Clearly they do. And don't even get me started on the ass-hats who don't like the Smith machine because "it locks the lifter into a specific pattern and makes it more dangerous" or because it "doesn't work the stabilizers." Sheep.
Where Was I? Oh Yeah, the Leg Press.

In 2012 researchers did a study to examine strength training in older women, using all machines. Leg press, leg extension, etc. After 12 weeks, all these wonderful ladies increased their jumping ability. And the number of bodyweight squats they could do in 30 seconds increased by a whopping 18 reps.

Sounds functional, right?

There's a multitude of studies using the leg press to establish an increase in real life strength (running, walking, jumping, etc.) across virtually every demographic. They all end up showing the same thing. If you get stronger on the leg press, you end up with stronger quads in real life... not Matrix-style quads that only exist in a virtual reality.

Then there's decades of anecdotal evidence by virtually every experienced lifter on the planet who has done hard sets of leg presses for extended periods of time. What they ended up with was bigger and stronger legs.

Few things irritate me more than dogmatic strength coaches who believe that the answer to every question exists within a squat rack. It doesn't.
Related:  Question of Power 2
Related:  Leg Day in the Smith Machine

Paul-carter

Paul Carter specializes in hypertrophy and body recomposition. He coaches pro bodybuilders and elite strength athletes, and works with some of the most respected minds in the strength and physique world. Paul is also the author of the Super Soldier Protocol.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Kluso
Vet

Kluso has a spectacular aura aboutKluso has a spectacular aura aboutKluso has a spectacular aura about
Pretty much all I can do is leg presses cause of my back. You can definitely grow off them.
Kluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluso View Post
Pretty much all I can do is leg presses cause of my back. You can definitely grow off them.
Same here. I don’t know what it is but whenever I try to squat my lower back cramps up. It’s in the muscle not the spine or surrounding bone structure.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
01dragonslayer
Banned

01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough01dragonslayer is a jewel in the rough
Great read. I agree. When I go heavy with traditional back squats I always have discomfort in my lower back for a few days. Going heavy on the press causes a little less stress and I get growth just as well.
01dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
Squats are definitely the superior exercise for strength and size but like so many, after back surgery it is no longer an option.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Dawgpound_Hank

Good read. I already knew the leg press is a valuable exercise. I stopped squatting in 2001 after having squatted routinely for 23 years. In '01, I incurred a bulging disc during that last heavy set of squats, which put me out on sick leave for 16 months. Since then, leg press has been my main quad movement, usually with hacks and extensions. Not only do I not notice any slacking off in quad development since then, but they are actually just as big with much more separation.

Also, Dorian Yates would laugh at someone saying leg press is useless, being he had to stop squatting after only 3 years of training due to hip injuries. And lo and behold, leg press was his main quad exercise all the way thru winning 6 Mr. O titles.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
Aklion
VET

Aklion will become famous soon enough
Fuck squats- thanks for coming to my Ted Talk
Aklion is offline   Reply With Quote