Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Over 50 and beyond.
User Name
Password

Old 12-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Tweaked my pec again!

So, I have been stuck around 400lbs in my bench for over 6 years. Every dam time I get to around 400 I tweak my pec. My best in a meet is a 417. It's actually so bad I have prepped for meets planning to tweak or strain it on meet day. I spend countless hours stretching and doing mobility work. Sorry, for being a pussy but dam this is getting old.

I took 3 months off to do construction on the gym and then over 6 weeks I worked back up to 385 and then went to do a hold with 405 and stretch. I strained it again. Fock! Went to my guy and did some dry needling and graston, but no luck. I am stuck at 135x10 again. I suspect it has to do with scapula instability but have no clue what to do.

Currently I do band. YWTL, swing a sledge hammer and do scapula pull ups. Apparently, I have limited T spine mobility but it's not the spine it's the muscle not allowing my t spine to flex.

Any ideas appreciated,
Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
tank100
VET

tank100 is on a distinguished road
Be careful with that, I ended up tearing a pec a few years ago doing heavy flat bench. It required surgery and I was down like 3 months. It took a good year to get back to 100%. It really sucked.
tank100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Too heavy too quickly. Just because you know you can do the weight doesn't mean you should. I have pulled my right pec so many times it was lagging behind the other one. Hammer strength fixed that problem rather quickly. I'd always pull it with weight I know I can handle but muscle strains take significant time to heal. Lighten it up and don't strain yourself too hard because you're only asking to re injure it. Then you'll have to correct asymmetry which is a pain in the ass and a hindrance.

Also for the spine see a chiropractor and get a deep tissue massage.

Last edited by b52; 12-27-2018 at 11:56 AM..
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tank100 View Post
Be careful with that, I ended up tearing a pec a few years ago doing heavy flat bench. It required surgery and I was down like 3 months. It took a good year to get back to 100%. It really sucked.
Thanks buddy, it sucks but I am gonna take it slow.

Hawk
Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Too heavy too quickly. Just because you know you can do the weight doesn't mean you should. I have pulled my right pec so many times it was lagging behind the other one. Hammer strength fixed that problem rather quickly. I'd always pull it with weight I know I can handle but muscle strains take significant time to heal. Lighten it up and don't strain yourself too hard because you're only asking to re injure it. Then you'll have to correct asymmetry which is a pain in the ass and a hindrance.

Also for the spine see a chiropractor and get a deep tissue massage.
Thanks, I am just doing some benching with 95lbs x15 and some easy stretching. It sucks and it gets old!

Hawk
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #6
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
Thanks, I am just doing some benching with 95lbs x15 and some easy stretching. It sucks and it gets old!

Hawk
I know the feeling all too well. I feel pretty good now though, now that I stopped doing so many barbell and dumbbell presses. I limit it to 4 sets of bench, then hammer strength/incline, then flyes, or pullovers. I can go moderate for that amount of sets in the 8-10 range. Got tempted to throw up 305 cuz I know I can get at least 6, but then I remember how I pull my chest all the time so I didn't. But working out like that seems pretty good and results are good as well. I can go super heavy on the hammer strength which is nice.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
I know the feeling all too well. I feel pretty good now though, now that I stopped doing so many barbell and dumbbell presses. I limit it to 4 sets of bench, then hammer strength/incline, then flyes, or pullovers. I can go moderate for that amount of sets in the 8-10 range. Got tempted to throw up 305 cuz I know I can get at least 6, but then I remember how I pull my chest all the time so I didn't. But working out like that seems pretty good and results are good as well. I can go super heavy on the hammer strength which is nice.
Thanks again for chiming in brother. It's so dang frustrating as I am capable of so much more and still want to power lift. I was simply trying to get my raw back up before I threw my shirt on, but never got that far. I have done some one plate hammer reps, but have also just add 20 lbs to the bar each time. So, I start at 45 and add 20 then 20 then 20 etc.

Hawk
Old 01-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
b52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
Thanks again for chiming in brother. It's so dang frustrating as I am capable of so much more and still want to power lift. I was simply trying to get my raw back up before I threw my shirt on, but never got that far. I have done some one plate hammer reps, but have also just add 20 lbs to the bar each time. So, I start at 45 and add 20 then 20 then 20 etc.

Hawk
No problem bro. I'm not over 50 but I've pulled my right pec more times than I care to talk about. It was a chronic injury. Hammer is the way to go if it's pulled. My regular bench feels strong and stable also since buying that machine, and I don't feel that strain where the pull is anymore. So occasionally I can bench real heavy and it won't bother me but I try not to make a habit out of it anymore. Bench moderate, and save the heavy weights for the hammer. And it isolates your chest which is the goal when working chest anyway.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #9
reps
Vet

reps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nice
How often do you do high rep ligament and tendon work. Using say 30lb dumbbells and pressing for 200 reps. Try to do as many as you can at one time to get to 200. 50 50 50 50. Use this method every week in between your regular heavy work with all muscle groups. You will be amazed at the change in strength.
reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by reps View Post
How often do you do high rep ligament and tendon work. Using say 30lb dumbbells and pressing for 200 reps. Try to do as many as you can at one time to get to 200. 50 50 50 50. Use this method every week in between your regular heavy work with all muscle groups. You will be amazed at the change in strength.
Coming from a guy who used to (maybe still does?) bench 315 x 20, I'd listen. (Yeah reps I didn't forget bro haha )

Hawk, based on what you said you are just begging for a pec tear amigo. Once that happens, a whole different ball game. Not like your in your 20's or 30's any more - let that shit heal up good. I had that same "tweak" going on before I tore my left pec on incline press 12 years ago. It's telling ya something.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #11
reps
Vet

reps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nicereps is just really nice
Thanks Hank. I've personally used this method also used by westside barbell guys. I remember when i went out to Columbus for a wrestling tournament 2 years ago with a good friend of mine who owns an affiliated gym. I got to tour the facility talk to some lifters and ask questions. I was surprised by some of the reps they did. I also trained at my boys gym last summer for a month to see how it works. And I learned a lot. I thought it was bs. It works. I had always incorporated these high rep schemes when I was fighting never realizing the times I got I hurt were when I was working close too or near max effort all the time. 4-10 reps. Anyways try it for a month what do you got to lose?
Old 01-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #12
Dawgpound_Hank

Hey reps just reading again what you wrote. You say high reps builds tendon & ligament strength? That concept is new to me. I was always under the impression that to focus on that, super heavy weights was needed and for partial reps. I remember reading an article years ago by Fred Hatfield saying he would set the pins n the squat rack to do 4-6 inch lockouts on squats & bench press with very heavy weights - much more than your max - to build tendon strength. And on the flipside, I thought high reps is for allowing the tendons to more or less rest, while the muscles do most of the work. Can you elaborate and/or provide a link backing your theory bro? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #13
reps
Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
Hey reps just reading again what you wrote. You say high reps builds tendon & ligament strength? That concept is new to me. I was always under the impression that to focus on that, super heavy weights was needed and for partial reps. I remember reading an article years ago by Fred Hatfield saying he would set the pins n the squat rack to do 4-6 inch lockouts on squats & bench press with very heavy weights - much more than your max - to build tendon strength. And on the flipside, I thought high reps is for allowing the tendons to more or less rest, while the muscles do most of the work. Can you elaborate and/or provide a link backing your theory bro? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgUZ-eKzz-k&t=110s

watch this. I just spoke with a buddy at westside he pointed me to a couple links. this one is pretty good. you can search more from louie simmons or westside barbell too.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
reps
Vet

Bump
Old 01-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #15
reps
Vet

There's a reason there the strongest gym in the world and rarely have ligament, joint or tendon issues