Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > MMA Talk
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Glycomann

Respect

i need to vent a little. I've been teaching a couple nights a month at the dojo. Last couple classes I've been working on combinations. I'm a free fighting guy. I did my katas years ago and left them behind because I just wanted to free fight and drill stuff that works in competition.

So these two guys at the dojo just did nationals kata competition and took 2nd and 4th in two events. Now they think they know everything. One of them didn't want me to demo a throw on him.Said his back was bothering him. OK fair enough so I took out the crash pads. Then I was demonstrating uchi mata and the other one said sensei so and so (local old time hero) says that wouldn't call that a throw because you can't do it outside. I have done this outside before in scraps and had no problem. I got into it with him and he pissed me off. I said do some free fighting (randuri) and we will see if it works. They went off and did kata and didn't free fight. I was still kind of pissed and one of the guys I was free fighting with did something awkward and nearly wrenched my knee. I was still so pissed I slammed him hard with uchi mata and fucked up his shoulder and neck. Poor guy. He'll be OK but it was misdirected. That one pussy.. should have been him. That fuck won't go with me because I twist him into a pretsel. Yet he thinks he can critique me when I'm teaching.

Anyhow, I'm getting to old for this stuff and I'm still too much of a hot head.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #2
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
Tell the fuckers you can't help them since they already know everything.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
choke

Bro, I'm totally with you. If someone balks at randori, rolling, or free fighting (all different names for the same thing for those that don't get all martial art geeked out), then they aren't worth the uniform they are wearing. And to think a throw like that wouldn't work in the street... then they've never been in the "street".

Rolling is the best part of training! And it's the only true way to earn and give your respect in that training! Hate those fucks that all of a sudden have an "injury" prior to the time for rolling. Those are the guys that forgot the adage of checking your ego at the door.

We do shark tanks every class. Pull out about five guys, and have the rest of the class line up. Then one by one, send guys out to fight the each guy. You win, you stay. So by the end of the drill, even the most advanced guy is getting his ass handed to him by the new guy.

Then it's time for the entire class to roll. five minute rounds, for 45 minutes.

I can't believe that any school nowadays, fails to go live. No respect for those dojo's.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Bro, I'm totally with you. If someone balks at randori, rolling, or free fighting (all different names for the same thing for those that don't get all martial art geeked out), then they aren't worth the uniform they are wearing. And to think a throw like that wouldn't work in the street... then they've never been in the "street".

Rolling is the best part of training! And it's the only true way to earn and give your respect in that training! Hate those fucks that all of a sudden have an "injury" prior to the time for rolling. Those are the guys that forgot the adage of checking your ego at the door.

We do shark tanks every class. Pull out about five guys, and have the rest of the class line up. Then one by one, send guys out to fight the each guy. You win, you stay. So by the end of the drill, even the most advanced guy is getting his ass handed to him by the new guy.

Then it's time for the entire class to roll. five minute rounds, for 45 minutes.

I can't believe that any school nowadays, fails to go live. No respect for those dojo's.
We use to do that in my home town dojo.. well dojos. After the owner moved we migrated to another one. Some guys are just arrogant twats. It probably has to do with the two of them medaling at Nationals last month but the one guy is always a twat. Our sensei back in the day would beat the crap out of us worse the day after the tournament than any other day if we won. I didn't understand for the longest time why. He use to say he needed to fix our judo. What he was doing is stopping the arrogance in it's tracks. For a dojo to endure there has to be a lineage of respect. Act like a twat and it reflects badly on the school.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #5
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Some of these guys don't have respect for anyone, including themselves.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
choke

That's the damn truth.

We have Royce Gracie at our school this weekend. Last night, we had a belt promotion ceremony, and then open mats. Royce was hanging and rolling too.

And of course, there's "that guy"... The one who's got to try and show off. Ironic, because Royce Gracie himself was about as humble as anyone could be.

Anyways, this kid tooled some of the other younger guys, and less experienced old guys. And I had the opportunity to shut that shit down, with some quiet, yet excruciatingly painful, slow, grinding, old man stuff.

I let him get at it, at his pace; he seems to forget position before submission... He was starting to get pissed, which was my intent. Then I swept him, and got to work; doing a couple things he could see and feel coming on, but could do nothing to stop them.

Some of you will know how bad these are.... But if you don't.... let me tell ya. There are few things more painul than bicep and calf slicers.

This kid saw that I set him up from a bicep slice, after I swept him. The panic in his eyes was like a drug. And I eased it in slow, and let it sink.... He tried not to tap, and just as he raised his hand to tap; I let it go. Then we scrambled a bit, and he turtled... And that gave me the opportunity to ease on in for a calf slicer. Again, he saw and felt it coming on; and could do nothing to stop it. I sunk it in, and this time let him tap.

Then I told him, quietly, to knock his shit off.

If you're not familiar with a bicep and calf slicers; just imagine those muscles being literally smashed, with enough pressure to literally seperate the muscle fibers themselves. Effectively turning them into mush.

So that was that.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Glycomann

That's painful shit but are not legal in Judo from what I know. We only outstretch and or twist the joint. those are more compression injury type stuff. Good that you fixed that guy though. Must be nice to roll with Royce.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
bufbiker

When I was taking karate classes we had three sensei. One karate, one judo and one kung fu. The karate sensei was the owner and head instructor. Our favorite time of class was when we all had to spar. The kung fu sensei always refused to fight. I guess he didn't believe in fighting or something. The karate instructor made a rule, you didn't fight, you're out of the school. He demanded the kung fu instructor fight someone, he even gave him the option of fighting me, this scrawny, skinny green belt. I was willing, I had my ass beat before and I always healed up. But he refused. So he was run out of the school.
The main point was how can you find what your strengths and weaknesses are unless you put it into practice. Dancing around with no one punching you or breaking boards that don't hit back is all well and good. But you need that real life experience to be able to react when the poop hits the fan.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Glycomann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufbiker View Post
When I was taking karate classes we had three sensei. One karate, one judo and one kung fu. The karate sensei was the owner and head instructor. Our favorite time of class was when we all had to spar. The kung fu sensei always refused to fight. I guess he didn't believe in fighting or something. The karate instructor made a rule, you didn't fight, you're out of the school. He demanded the kung fu instructor fight someone, he even gave him the option of fighting me, this scrawny, skinny green belt. I was willing, I had my ass beat before and I always healed up. But he refused. So he was run out of the school.
The main point was how can you find what your strengths and weaknesses are unless you put it into practice. Dancing around with no one punching you or breaking boards that don't hit back is all well and good. But you need that real life experience to be able to react when the poop hits the fan.
yup, you got to take the lumps and bumps.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Dawgpound_Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post

If you're not familiar with a bicep and calf slicers; just imagine those muscles being literally smashed, with enough pressure to literally seperate the muscle fibers themselves. Effectively turning them into mush.

So that was that.

Damn that sounds like some horror movie shit right there! Never piss you off haha.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
workingout
VET

workingout is on a distinguished road
I hate the guys that try to critique in the middle of class. They dont understand that we have end goal in site, and that those ends may be several classes down the road.

It seems the rule I have to remind students of the most is "the more your training partner resists, the harder you get to punch him"

and

"Its their turn next"

BS ESS
workingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
choke

Cut past the first 30 seconds of annoying gym logo, and this guy actually does a pretty good job at describing a bicep slicer. As in the exquisite, existential pain caused by muscle being sheared away from bone. And you can see how absolutely effortlessly it can be done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lew-1yVvJOI

And this quick vid is same concept, just in the calf slicer form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSI5...3AF5FA&index=1
Old 05-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
workingout
VET

workingout is on a distinguished road
I mostly hit it when they try to defend the arm bar with an S Grip or butterfly grip. I do like that figure 4

do you ever walk around to an almost north/south position on that?

BS ESS
workingout is offline   Reply With Quote