Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • millenium girl
    • Apr 2006

Delayed onset muscle soreness

Delayed onset muscle soreness, also sometimes called muscle fever, is the pain or discomfort often felt 24 to 72 hours after exercising and subsides generally within two to three days. This is more commonly known as being 'stiff' the morning after a sporting activity.

The precise cause is unknown. Delayed onset muscle soreness is commonly thought to be caused by increased lactate concentrations but it has been shown that elevated levels of lactic acid rarely persist after an hour of rest.[1]

Cause

Although the precise cause is still unknown, the type of muscle contraction seems to be a key factor in the development of delayed onset muscle soreness. A recently developed theory states that delayed onset muscle soreness is caused by the breakdown of muscular fibres. This is particularly apparent in strength/resistance programs. The breakdown occurs due to stress, and allows the muscles to grow stronger and larger, as shown through hypertrophy. Exercises that involve many eccentric contractions, such as downhill running or slow "negatives" during weight training, will result in the most severe DOMS. This has been shown to be the result of more muscle cell damage than is seen with typical concentric contractions, in which a muscle successfully shortens during contraction against a load.[2]

Some research claims that delayed onset muscle soreness is not caused by the pain from damaged muscle cells, but from the reinforcement process.[3] The muscle responds to training by reinforcing itself up to and above its previous strength by increasing the size of muscle fibers (muscle hypertrophy). This reinforcement process causes the cells to swell in their compartment and put pressure on nerves and arteries, producing pain.

Training with delayed onset muscle soreness

Delayed onset muscle soreness, originally named by physiologist Sonja Trierweiler, typically causes stiffness, swelling, strength loss, and pain.[4][5] Continued exertion of sore muscles can cause further swelling and pain, and lengthen the period of muscular soreness. There is some scientific evidence that further training—a so-called second bout—has no negative effect on the reinforcement process.[6] Training in a state of constant soreness would be uncomfortable, although one may be able to adapt to it. The relationship between muscular soreness, the rest required, and hypertrophy is a contentious topic in bodybuilding. Claims that perpetual muscular soreness assures muscle growth are opposed by reports of stagnation through overtraining.

Stretching before and after exercise has been suggested as a way of reducing delayed onset muscle soreness, as have warming up before exercise, cooling down afterwards, and gently warming the area.[7] However, there is also evidence that the effect of stretching on muscle soreness is negligible.[8] Overstretching itself can cause DOMS.[9] One study suggests contrast showers as a treatment, alternating between cold and hot water; as it may increase circulation.[10]

References

1. DOMS at Sports Injury Bulletin
    2. Roth, S. (2006, January 23). Why does lactic acid build up in muscles? And why does it cause soreness? ScientificAmerican.com. Retrieved on July 24, 2006.
    3. Yu, J., Carlsson, L. & Thornell, L.E. (2004). Evidence for myofibril remodeling as opposed to myofibril damage in human muscles with DOMS: an ultrastructural and immunoelectron microscopic study. Histochemistry and Cell Biology, 121(3), p. 219-227. link
    4. Connolly, D. A., Sayers, S. P. & McHugh, M. P. (2003) Treatment and prevention of delayed onset muscle soreness (abstract.) Journal of Strength Conditioning Research, 17(1):197-208. Retrieved from PubMed.gov on July 24, 2006.
    5. Szymanski, D. (2003). Recommendations for the avoidance of delayed-onset muscle soreness. Strength and Conditioning Journal 23(4): 7–13.
    6. Ji-Guo, Y. (2003). Re-evaluation of exercise-induced muscle soreness: an immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study. Abstract of unpublished doctoral dissertation, Umeå Universitet, Sweden. ISBN 91-7305-503-4
    7. WebMD article on DOMS
    8. BMJ "Effects of stretching before and after exercising on muscle soreness and risk of injury: systematic review"
    9. DOMS
    10.Alternating hot and cold water immersion for athlete recovery: a review"
    Don't forget to join
    http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
    http://www.basskilleronline.com
  • John Benz
    Vet
    • Jan 2004

Taking BCAA prior to and all throughout your workout will help greatly.

Comment

• liftsiron
      Administrator
      • Nov 2003

The latest theory on DOMS is that it's related to an inflammatory response to exercise possibly initiated by the immune response system. But like the article said no one at this time actually knows the exact cause.
      ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by John Benz
        I'm a big fan of taking BCAA's before and during my w/o.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• millenium girl
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by John Benz
          I should probably take BCAA's but the tabs are so big that I can't swallow them. I like the Cold filtration Whey Protein with added BCAA's from trueprotein, it's good stuff.
          Don't forget to join
          http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
          http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• Shovel
            VET
            • Jul 2011

Had to bump this.

So, is soreness after a workout good or bad? I feel like I didn't do enough if I'm not sore/stiff the next couple days. Thoughts?
            Semper Fi

Comment

• Shovel
              VET
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by millenium girl
              I should probably take BCAA's but the tabs are so big that I can't swallow them. I like the Cold filtration Whey Protein with added BCAA's from trueprotein, it's good stuff.
              They do have liquid bcaa that you can squirt in a shake too.
              Semper Fi

Comment

• liftsiron
                Administrator
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Shovel
                Had to bump this.

So, is soreness after a workout good or bad? I feel like I didn't do enough if I'm not sore/stiff the next couple days. Thoughts?
                They did some cool studies using an MRI and learned that DOMS really doesn't play a significant role in building muscle. They also discovered that myofibers do not need to be broken down during a strength training session in order to make gains. Injury to myofibers during an intense workout is not the cause of DOMS. The most accepted theory is an inflammatory response to the exercises performed. But the jury is still out as to what positively causes DOMS.
                ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...