Where were you when.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Where were you when.....

...James "Buster" Douglas rocked the boxing world on Feb 10, 1990? Or does anybody even give a rats ass?lol I was just watchin' some Tyson old fights on ESPN Classic...showed that fight again. It still has to be THEE biggest upset in boxing ever...possibly even in all of sports. Tyson was favored to win 42-1.

Being a long time die-hard boxing fan, I still remember it like yesterday. I was working 3-11 shift, and ready to get off work, and my boy Mike comes in on graveyard shift. He's trippin' out tellin' me "Yo Hank, Tyson just got beat!". I was like "dawg get da fuck outta here with that shit".lol He keeps on and on, but I think he's talkin' smack bcoz I always was a jokester/prankster so I thought he was just fuckin' around with a little payback. Sure enuff, I get home, turn on the tube and thats all I see on the news! It sure made for one helluva story being Buster's mom just passed away 2 weeks before the fight. It took one bigtime motivated BUCKEYE to kick Tyson's ass hahaha!
    Last edited by Guest; 11-01-2010, 03:48 AM.
  • basskiller
    Administrator
    • Aug 2003

I really don't remember if we were watching that over at a friend's house or if it came on the radio.. Been way too long

Owner of
    Worldclassbodybuilding.com - my forum
    basskilleronline.com

Comment

• b52
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dawgpound_Hank
      ...James "Buster" Douglas rocked the boxing world on Feb 10, 1990? Or does anybody even give a rats ass?lol I was just watchin' some Tyson old fights on ESPN Classic...showed that fight again. It still has to be THEE biggest upset in boxing ever...possibly even in all of sports. Tyson was favored to win 42-1.

Being a long time die-hard boxing fan, I still remember it like yesterday. I was working 3-11 shift, and ready to get off work, and my boy Mike comes in on graveyard shift. He's trippin' out tellin' me "Yo Hank, Tyson just got beat!". I was like "dawg get da fuck outta here with that shit".lol He keeps on and on, but I think he's talkin' smack bcoz I always was a jokester/prankster so I thought he was just fuckin' around with a little payback. Sure enuff, I get home, turn on the tube and thats all I see on the news! It sure made for one helluva story being Buster's mom just passed away 2 weeks before the fight. It took one bigtime motivated BUCKEYE to kick Tyson's ass hahaha!
      ummm, I was 5 years old bro. I have no idea lol But i did see the fight later on in the future

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

I have no idea?
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• mrhtbd

I was on an active duty deployment.
          No TV where I was.
          Newspapers were a week old by the time I got one.
          Time zone...

Comment

• Mr Incredible
            • Oct 2010

Yeah the thing is tyson knocked BD down earlier in the fight with an upercut that sent bd crashing to the mat, see from 45 seconds into the fight below, luckily it was towards the end of the round and BD held on. Tyson wasn't

Comment

• Scotsmark
              VET
              • Apr 2005

I was 17 and in my final year at highschool. We didn't have cable or satellite tv back then so had to wait for the repeat on the BBC on the Sunday morning but it was all over the news as it was such a big story. My dad told me when I got up anyway, he couldn't believe it as he was a massive Tyson fan, as was I. We took the dogs for a walk and hardly spoke all the hour we were out. Watching it on the TV was devastating at the time, Iron Mike was the biggest sporting icon of the day and there he was, on all fours, fumbling with his gumshield as he got counted out as the commentator announced "..Mike Tyson has been knocked out.." I still remember the "..and we have a new era in boxing.." as he beat Berbick.
              It was the beginning of the end for Tyson and I think the reason why so many boxing fans fail to rate him as the number one fighter of all time is that his reign at the top was over almost as fast as it came about. Better guidance and management not to mention keeping away from "That Woman" as Jim Jacobs described her and Don King could have seen a better career, certainly a longer reign as the best. I'm a firm believer that if Cus D'Amato had lived a good few years more we would have seen a different outcome.

Good post, Hank, do you remember where you were on the 15th of April 1985?

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank

Scots, good stuff bro!

On April 15, 1985, I honestly gotta say I don't know where I was that exact day...but I do REMEMBER The War of 1985! I was 21, the height of my party years. Also, that was a time I was in the midst of training for a supervisor job with the power company and the only work we did was in VERY rural areas...ie, Cave City, KY (population like 7). But I do certainly remember wanting to see that fight, and I did eventually later. THEE most amazing 3 rds ever fosho! Hagler was a beast and very intimidating, and one has to put Hagler in the category of "what if" when you imagine him fighting against some other middleweight greats of different eras.

There IS a fight I DO remember where I was involving Hagler, and I remember being SOOOOO pissed off at the result! April 6, 1987...I was in Columbus, OH at a fight-party watching it closed-circuit. IMO he got robbed agaisnt some little bitch that only ran, clowned and threw a flurry of pussy-ass punches the last few seconds of every round. Hagler was the champ...and Ray did NOT take it from him IMO. Hagler was so fed-up with the politics that he never put on the gloves again.......

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2nLAwR8Oc

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iuq2m4dW-E

part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZyUovjJrpc

Comment

• theartofwar
                  • Feb 2010

yeah I don't remember shit from when I was 5 haha. But I'm glad someone still likes boxing !! Fucking sport gets no love anymore, I love boxing, got a local bout coming up
                  Think For Yourself. Question Authority. Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening,terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities,the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.

Comment

• MR. BMJ
                    • Apr 2006

I was at home watching the fight live. I was excited because it wasn't a PPV or on a chanell I didn't have access to. So I was excited I could have the chace to watch it. As the fight went on, I was like "WTF?, is this Tyson?"

It was like I was watching him fight, but I kept questioning whether it was really him in the ring...lol.

Seeing him get TKO'd left a bad taste in my mouth. It was a HUGE upset, but I was so surprised and saddened and in dismay, I couldn't believe I had just watched it happen.

I remember NOBODY was watching that fight because it was just too common for him to maul people in the first round, so everybody didn't watch it assuming the same thing was going to happen.

I was a kid living at home still

BMJ

Comment

• D
                      Vet
                      • May 2007

I was 5 and lived in India
                      Everything I say/post/pm is strictly for entertainment purposes. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING I SAY SERIOUSLY! Thanks

Comment

• USNCTT
                        VET
                        • Aug 2006

Yeah I think I was 6 then and not too sure what I was doing. Probably somewhere playing with my transformers lol

Comment

• Scotsmark
                          VET
                          • Apr 2005

Yeah, Hank, I remember watching that one live with my Dad, it was the day before his birthday and he wasn't happy with that result on bit! I can also remember watching an aged Ali against Holmes when I was about 7, probably one of my first boxing memories. Watched that one with my grandfather and, as a big boxing fan and ex amateur, he was pissed at Ali being allowed to fight.

As for Hagler, he stuck to his guns and turned his back on boxing for good, no more comebacks for him and managed to salvage all of his integrity by doing so.

Comment

• BigSickD
                            Vet
                            • May 2004

I was in the Army stationed in Germany, I got to see highlights on AFN.
                            BigSickD does not actually exist. He is the alter ego of a punkass 17yo kid that doesn't even workout.

Comment

Working...