Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
How much is your weekly food bill?

BBers are notorious for high grocery bills but I have found if you shop wise and don't eat out you can still spend a lot less than your neig10hbors next door that eat out or order in constantly.

I can't believe how popular these grub hub and door dash places have become. Man, that has to add up at the end of the month!

I only eat out at restaurants on occasion and when I do it is a nice dinner that will cost a little. I think most restaurant food is terrible. Packaged and canned sauces, mixes and ingredients on pre & semi prepared foods. Yuk.

Before I get off track. I try to shop smart and I buy in bulk and repackage when I get home. So I might buy 10 lbs of chicken breast or I buy 4 or 5 whole chickens when they are on sale. I buy whole sirloins that weigh 20lbs and cut my own steaks. I also use them to grind my own burger. My meals would be cheaper if I ate more carbs but fresh veggies cost a little more. I no longer by 10lbs bags of potatoes, I rarely eat them. Rice is occasional as well.

I spend about $120 a week on a major shopping trip and then probably another $25-35 on a couple minor fresh veggie and what ever I need at the moment trips. So I would say I spend about $150-175/week for 2 adults. I think that is pretty good considering the meals we have.

On a side note, since we are on food and I like A1's food notes, I made Teriyaki sauce for some Kebabs on the grill last night and used some molasses in the ingredients. Low sodium soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, fresh ginger, truvia, molasses a little bit of Worchestershire, rice vinegar, black pepper, white pepper It rocks! Molasses adds a subtle but great taste.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
Beef Newton
VET

Space Invaders Champion!
Beef Newton will become famous soon enough
Around $250 because I am too helpless to make my own food and buy from a local Paleo food service.
Beef Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
zillagraybeard
VET

zillagraybeard is on a distinguished road
The wife and I spend about 250 a week but we do buy stuff for the grandbabies. Eat a lot of ground turkey, steak and lean hamburger. I have a infrared grill and I grill year round and we cut out a lot of fat that way.
zillagraybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
USNCTT
VET

USNCTT is a jewel in the roughUSNCTT is a jewel in the roughUSNCTT is a jewel in the rough
40/wk but its just me and I hit up aldi lol
USNCTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
3 adults and myself, and grandkids every other weekend between $150 - 185 a week. Depending on dog treats, cat litter,
paper products, etc needed.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
Lets face it, protein foods are where the expense come from. If you can find good deals on chicken, beef, steak, seafood, and whey isolate, that is where you save money. I get my meats and stuff mostly from Costco, but occasionally from Wal-Mart...except yesterday I got my chicken breasts from Sprouts. I get sirloin or tri-tip when it's in the $5 range or lower. If shit starts getting into the $7 plus dollar range, I will usually skip it and rely more on chicken, since it's cheaper. I'll throw down on Greek yogurt too from Costco.

Rice, pastas, oats, breads, etc....don't cost much.

Oils can add up if you are using a lot, but typically a bottle of grapeseed oil, avocado, or olive oil lasts quite awhile for us. I use non-stick spray a lot.

Fats like nuts and stuff can be expensive, but just depends on you and your family's needs.

Fruits and veges aren't too expensive unless you are buying a shit ton of organic. I buy regular with a mix of what Costco has. I buy all my frt/veges from Costco and Wal-Mart.

That really just leaves sauces, herbs, spices, marinades, etc.

You can cut down on protein costs if you add in stuff like beans or other cheaper foods with protein in them.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
BMJ you didn't answer the Q though cupcake.

I'd guestimate around $150-$175 a week. That's for me, wife and kid. Mostly for me these days it's usually eggs, lean ground beef or lean ground turkey, chicken, cottage cheese, broccoli, asparagus or salad with romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomato and carrots. She often cooks some type of delicious Asian meal for her and my son. I usually skip that though bcoz a lot of it is served or mixed with white rice, and I am cutting now so avoid the rice.

I usually go thru about 1-1.5lb of meat/chicken a day, and along with 8 eggs for breakfast, cottage cheese as a side with the meat, and 2 whey drinks a day, it puts me around 225-275g of protein.
Dawgpound_Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNCTT View Post
40/wk but its just me and I hit up aldi lol
C'mon mang you gotta be bs'ing eh? Or do you eat out like 4-5 days ew? If you are indeed serious, mind sharing what you buy with $40? Hell maybe I can learn your Buckeye trick to save some $$$ next time food shopping hehe.

Last edited by USNCTT; 07-24-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Dawgpound_Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to beholdMR. BMJ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerKy View Post
BMJ you didn't answer the Q though cupcake.

I'd guestimate around $150-$175 a week. That's for me, wife and kid. Mostly for me these days it's usually eggs, lean ground beef or lean ground turkey, chicken, cottage cheese, broccoli, asparagus or salad with romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomato and carrots. She often cooks some type of delicious Asian meal for her and my son. I usually skip that though bcoz a lot of it is served or mixed with white rice, and I am cutting now so avoid the rice.

I usually go thru about 1-1.5lb of meat/chicken a day, and along with 8 eggs for breakfast, cottage cheese as a side with the meat, and 2 whey drinks a day, it puts me around 225-275g of protein.
I'll have to pull out my Costco and Wal-Mart receipts. I've been a little more conservative since I got laid-off from my job in May, but I try to budget other areas tightly so we can still eat good. I haven't hit the gym since the end of February, and in effect, that also cuts out a huge gas bill, as my car guzzles it down. I'll head back soon, once my son starts 1st grade in a few weeks. My daughter just started preschool this week. Staying home over these summer months also helped cut down on paying for a babysitter. Well, and a few other things...though i'm getting off track with the topic.

I'll have to subtract shit like toilet paper, paper towels, feminine shit for the GF, and some other things to find out the food cost.

I went to Costco yesterday and I think I spent around $140, then another $25-30 for chicken at Sprouts. Wal-mart is usually around 70-150.00 per week. Not all of that is food though.
MR. BMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Dakota
VET

Dakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to allDakota is a name known to all
I thought I was frugal. Maybe not so much. If you consider things like TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies and the like are all purchased by the case through my company my food bill is just that, a FOOD bill. I do eat a lot of seafood and high quality proteins that cost plenty. I justify the expense by saying it still costs a lot less than eating out.

$40 USN?? No way... you have to eat something besides oatmeal and rice!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #11
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
I buy organic vegan food. +/- 60€ a week but most of what I buy lasts 2 weeks and sometimes longer.
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #12
Beef Newton
VET

Space Invaders Champion!
Beef Newton will become famous soon enough
Potted Meat and Vienna Sausages
Beef Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:14 AM   #13
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
I spend 1800 a month but I’m feeding 4 and we eat very well. Nutritious but there is some shit around for the kids (no 18 yo is gonna eat eggs lean meat fish and rice drive times a day without the occasional outburst of pizza rolls. )

It’s alot of cash. And I’m Only there half the time.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
Dakota
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
(no 18 yo is gonna eat eggs lean meat fish and rice drive times a day without the occasional outburst of pizza rolls. )
Unless that is their only choice. Hunger is a powerful motivator. I grew up in poverty I was served two choices for meal. "Eat it or go without"

You can guess that I am not a very fussy eater.

Years back my son was about 5 and had a friend stay the night. His mother told me "he will only eat grapes, raisins, rice, hot dogs and McDonalds . I didn't say a word.

First meal he pushed the food around and left it. Second meal he ate a few bites and left it. Third meal he ate everything on his plate and asked for more. His mother was flabbergast at this and was also upset that I had got him to eat people food.

When my son was playing hockey he ate just like I do. I do admit that the School vending machines got hit up a semi-regular occasion though. I would always find junk food wrappers.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
USNCTT
VET

USNCTT is a jewel in the roughUSNCTT is a jewel in the roughUSNCTT is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerKy View Post
C'mon mang you gotta be bs'ing eh? Or do you eat out like 4-5 days ew? If you are indeed serious, mind sharing what you buy with $40? Hell maybe I can learn your Buckeye trick to save some $$$ next time food shopping hehe.
haha I am not kidding. I buy their ground turkey usually 3 packs and then their chicken breasts which are usually huge. you get like 4/pk which yields about 10oz of chicken for me for lunch and then ill eat about 7oz of the ground turkey in the evening. During the day I will have a shake at work and then a protein bar before training. I am just maintaining at 250 now but if I start to bulk it will go up some obviously. As far as sides I will get their microwavable brown rice packs which are cheap as hell too. I don't necessarily have a set list each time I go in, I have my staples and then go from there. some weeks its 35 some weeks its closer to 50. but average is about 40. I was spending about 320 a month just for myself at Kroger.
USNCTT is offline   Reply With Quote