X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd

Saturday School

Ok, they got me.
    I said I would never do it but you know what they say about saying "never."
    Today I start teaching Saturday School to students who failed 9th, 10th, and 11th grade science. It will go until the middle of February 2011.
    That means I have to teach 4 hours every Saturday (bar the Holidays) of science.
    Not too bad, I figured, but then I found out it's not just "science," as I have students from three disciplines: physical science, biology, and chemistry.
    Fortunately though, I hold valid certifications in all these subjects, but without a specific agenda provided by the school district, and concerning this is only a 13 week course, I'm juggling to figure out a plan that will attenuate:
    1) their learning discrepancies,
    2) not take up the majority of time from my "other" responsibilities (i.e. weekly teaching job, family, grad school and God forbid weightlifting;()
    3) the fact they will take the PSSA science assessment (of which their score will go for or against our overall yearly statistic).
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm??

I think my main emphasis will be to "teach to the test."
    Vocabulary, terminology, and test-taking skills and strategies.
    That's what I'm starting with.

Any tips as to how to get these kids into science enough for them to pass and actually learn something are and will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Dawgpound_Hank

Perhaps introduce videos to make the learning process more exciting for them and less work for you on a Saturday. .......

Example for science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X47B9x670E

WARNING: The above vid can really make one feel insignificant.

Comment

• mrhtbd

That was really cool DPH!

Comment

Working...