"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Yesterday I was in flux. Fastly approaching a fork in the road I did not know which way to go.
    On Wednesday, I was invited by a BMW motorcycle group to join them on a ride to a BMW museum South of Baltimore for Saturday (today).
    Personally, after being sick for over a week, and with Halloween fastly approaching, I just wanted to spend some quality time with the wife and 2 kids.
    Then on Thursday, a school administrator called me asking if I could begin teaching science in Saturday school this weekend, "and, could you [I] let me know by Friday..." she said.

Hmmm, so even though I wanted to go on the ride it looked as though I would take the job and that would probably ruin the family plans as well. I took the job with no expectations for later on Saturday, but here's what happened...

After school ended (noon) I stopped at a local restaurant for some soup. Thought it would be good as I had been sick and it was cold out. Turned out to get chili (way too hot) and quesadia's (not that great).

Called the wife to say, "Wait til I get home before you go out."
    Got home and took the wife and kids to a farm festival. Lot's of fun with the lawn tractor ride for the kids, the big corn maze (where they had to come back in to get me because I got lost) seeing the animals, the jumping gym, the hay wagon ride and more. (I especially like shooting apples with a slingshot made with surgical tubing and a pouch, and darn-it, I almost got one in the bathtub at 50 yards!) We got hot cider, hot dogs, popcorn, and cider doughnuts, mmm. Even finished the experience with some farm fresh ice cream (I had the peanut butter vanilla). A great outing for sure, even though it cost about 60 bucks!

What next I asked? "Oh, there was this little fair at a church I wanted to stop at," me-lady professed.
    "OK," said I, so off we went.

We pulled into the church and it turned out to be a Korean Presbyterian Church, but they welcomed us into the lot anyway. We parked and checked it out. WOW, what a blast. Koreans really know how to throw a party! Started the kids out with pony rides, then animal exibits, the air slide, and bouncy gym. Got a bit chilly so we just went inside to see what's up. Gad, all sorts of fun was going on in there. They had all sorts of contests and games, hoop throw, BB toss, spin the wheel, baseball throw, all sorts of stuff and each one ended with some candy. Then it was off to the kitchen for me. Got my plate of mystery grub and chopsticks, and away I went to culinary town. Whew, after trying the red kinda-thingy stuff, I figured out why the woman only gave me a little and nodded no when I hinted at a bigger serving. Whoa, it was hotter than the chili! I had to cool my mouth off with the clear seaweed noodles. It was interesting for sure. Put it this way, when I got a coffee, I put a hefty spoonful of creamer and some sugar to boot, and the only thing I EVER put in my coffee is ice! It was delectable. Well, we gathered up the wagons and headed for the sunset. The Koreans were super-nice, very cordial, and invited us to service on Sunday.
    It surprised me but everything was free! They didn't even want donations. Amazing!

So off we went to our house, but as we pulled in at 6:30 PM (and the sun was down) the wife mentioned the church down the street was having a bonfire and if we...maybe...well..."Sure," I said, we went this far haven't we?
    So we went in the house for a half hour to vedge, use the facility, get different jackets, so on and so forth, and off we went to the bonfire. Walked down with the stroller for the four year old. What a blast! Booming bonfire with flames 20 some feet in the air. Another lawnmower ride, only this one pulled one big trailer filled with hay, all over the lawn, in the pitch of night, but they had the whole route outlined with gallon milk jugs cut in half with a lit candle in each and sand to hold them in place. Wow, this was really cool. We met some of the church members, chatted away, were introduced to others, invited in for food, fun, crafts, sand-art, and pumpkin painting. I even got the line on where I can get my hands on some smoked turkey legs. MMMMMMmmm, now there's a righteous snack!

When 8:30 came around, the kids were still carousing, but I had been up since 5:15 this morning and laid down the law to "move out!" So we did. On the way home, I carried one freshly painted pumpkin in each hand and was doing curls for two blocks (nice burn) . Back home, we showered, had snacks, and the girls watched a movie while I did school work.
    Now the moon is high, the girls are asleep, and the only sound I hear besides the tap-tap-tap of the keyboard is the clock, lonely in the corner but without a care, just tick-tick-ticking away into the night.

I came to a fork in the road, and I took it, been one of the best days I can remember.
    Man, my brother was right when he said..."Some days are golden..."
  • blk99xtreme

sounds like a good family day brother!

Comment

Working...