Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2020, 04:02 AM   #1
ozzy69
Assistant Admin

ozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud of
Not a political thread at all but....

So I was curious as to how many people on average die in New York every day.

3 different sites gave a stat from 2015 saying 428 people die a day in New York State.

428X7=2996

2996X6=17,976

So I guess my question is how many of the numbers in New York State are just run of the mill deaths that, because autopsies can’t be done, are just being claimed covid-19 deaths to sensationalize something?
ozzy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy69 View Post

3 different sites gave a stat from 2015 saying 428 people die a day in New York State.

428X7=2996

2996X6=17,976

So I guess my question is how many of the numbers in New York State are just run of the mill deaths that, because autopsies can’t be done, are just being claimed covid-19 deaths to sensationalize something?
I think the covid19 death rate is actually much higher everywhere because of a lack of testing, we don't know how many people have it. You make a valid point though in a city with a metro population of 20 million there naturally has to be a high daily rate. In the last flu season there an approx confirmed of close to 40k in the USA while many experts believe the actual death rate was probably in the area of 60-80k.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Another thing, in my area we had nine deaths attributed to covid19, 4 or 5 of the 9 were 90 years or older, the youngest I heard was 75. When you get that old no doubt you have at least some serious medical conditions. I know some much younger people have died from the illness as well, but it seems the older you are the greater risk for dying from it.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
Dawgpound_Hank

Dawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the roughDawgpound_Hank is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy69 View Post

428X7=2996

2996X6=17,976

Not only that, but the % of deaths is really MUCH lower than what is being portrayed due to the fact that most haven't even been tested. Many have it and are asymptomatic, which they would feel no need to get a test since not feeling sick.

Instead of the death rate being 3% it is prolly way under 1%. I seen some discussing a report in Iceland IIRC about 50% of people infected were asymptomatic!
Dawgpound_Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:52 AM   #5
liftsiron
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawggpound Hank View Post
Not only that, but the % of deaths is really MUCH lower than what is being portrayed due to the fact that most haven't even been tested. Many have it and are asymptomatic, which they would feel no need to get a test since not feeling sick.

Instead of the death rate being 3% it is prolly way under 1%. I seen some discussing a report in Iceland IIRC about 50% of people infected were asymptomatic!
Iceland per capita has tested more of it's population than any other country, 10% were tested. They test people by have a computer picking random names from a phone book. They discovered 50% of the people who tested positive had no symptoms. I live in a sparsely populated area with only 52 confirmed cases, but out of those 52, 9 have died. That's a very large percent, they have only tested the very sick. I'm not sure as of yet anyone knows the exact fatality rate.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #6
Massive G
VET

Massive G has a spectacular aura aboutMassive G has a spectacular aura about
Are we going to go through this every time China 19 comes around? It's here to stay ....there's no herd immunity to the flu..so why would we think that we can just wait this out at home.
How are we getting back to work...no vaccine no treatments other than to isolate at home ...
our economy and lifestyle is wrecked for the next few years, if not the rest of the decade.
Massive G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:49 AM   #7
meo
VET

meo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warreng View Post
To date, 15,000 people have died of the coronavirus in the U.S. (although even if it's another disease that kills you, like diabetes or heart disease, they still count it as a COVID-19 death if you happen to have COVID-19; so, the death toll is likely inflated).

On the other hand, one million Americans have been thrown out of work. So, for every COVID-19 fatality, 1,000 people are suddenly unemployed. We've only begun to experience the repercussions of this, as people default on their loans and banks fail, people's savings are wiped out, and communities are destroyed.

How many deaths will this economic catastrophe cause, directly or indirectly, or otherwise contribute to? Does being confined to your home, and more or less isolated, not in itself represent a kind of shortening of your lifespan? Is not stress, such as you might experience when confined to your home during an economic depression, a predictor of early mortality? Would not the death of some 60,000 people who tend to skew elderly in fact save younger workers money in the form of lower Social Security and Medicare taxes; and would not this added prosperity tend, in the scheme of things, to increase the life expectancy of the young as well as the quality of the lives they live in the now? It sounds heartless, but in any thorough and rigorous moral accounting, such things have to be taken into account.

If we're willing to beggar our country in order to save 60,000 people, will China take us seriously when we threaten to fight a nuclear war over islands in the South China Sea? Will Russia take us seriously when, in our capacity as the largest member of NATO, we proclaim our willingness to fight a nuclear war over Estonia?

Abraham Lincoln sent 600,000 American men to their deaths rather than allow the South to secede in peace. Yet we're willing to risk the very existence of our country to save 60,000 lives.

Car accidents kill nearly 40,000 people each year. 650,000 die of heart disease. Nearly half a million die from smoking. The obesity epidemic claims the lives of 300,000 Americans. Each and every one of these deaths is preventable.

I say, lock the old people and the immunocompromised up, give them the best available care and protection, and let the rest of us get on with our lives. The show must go on; the lights must never go out.
don't usually agree with you Warren, but I think you are right on with this. and I am on the old side being 66 y o . we can't sacrifice young people to keep the aged alive a few more years, and the death rate is deff. being inflated to prey on our fears.
meo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
liftsiron
Administrator

I'm a very healthy and active 63 year old. I miss the gym more and more each day.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
And I'm a very semi healthy and semi active 64 year old. Radiation treatments every Thursday afternoon for bladder cancer for a couple more weeks. And stage 3b kidney disease. But yesterday I did 5 super sets of Olympic bar curls and skull crushers using 135lbs with relative ease. This was before my radiation treatment. All things considered I feel great. But I'm probably one of the high risk elderly.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Roughrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
ozzy69
Assistant Admin

ozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud ofozzy69 has much to be proud of
God you guys are old
ozzy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
Roc
VET

Roc is on a distinguished road
Well here is a situation, my sister in-law had it and there 3 kids and husband, she works for penn hospital and they cleared her for work after only 5 days! The tests are crap! She took two instant tests and were okay, then took the real test and came up positive. The testing is garbage and I think we just need to roll with this and just open shit up again. If you get sick, be smart, stay home and wait it out!!
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
zillagraybeard
VET

zillagraybeard is on a distinguished road
My concern is if we open everything back up to soon, the hospitals are going to be swamped and there will be no way to treat everyone. This will drive up the death rate and will make everything last longer.
zillagraybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
Actually I believe deaths that were not caused by C19 are being counted as caused by C19. Two reasons that were given to me by my physician who received this guidance as part of the CDC mandates for reporting along with every other doc in America:

1. If no C19 test is available but there is evidence of C19 symptoms, the CDC now counts that as a C19 case. Could be many other viruses but they are labeling the not sure box as a C19 case.

2. If a patient has a C19 test that is yes or an assumed case as per #1 above, and dies of any cause, it is counted as a C19 death is the stats. That’s right if you have C19 and get a heart attack or hit by a car you died of C19.

My doc says he gets 28% extra money for C19 cases and states get extra money for each C19 case and death.

It all makes sense to me now.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #14
Roughrydr

Roughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to allRoughrydr is a name known to all
Sounds like the standard practice of medicare fraud. Doing unnecessary test knowing medicare will pay for it, upselling if so to speak.

Muscle Forged In Pain
Old 04-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
Roughrydr

Karma is never instant, but be sure that eventually you reap what you sow.

Muscle Forged In Pain