Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Observation on our members and motivation

So, I am not passing judgement but I have figured out what the majority of my gym members have in common that separate them from other lifters. Since we don't have contracts I have been able to draw differences between the ones that left and the ones that stay. It essentially boils down to motivation. The ones who stick around are internally motivated and will train alone. They may have a partner but will still come train by themselves. They don't need Addaboys to lift although they like being in an upbeat environment.

Those who leave are part of a pack usually and often the ringleader. They are often the biggest or strongest of their pack or in the case of ladies the fittest. They get plenty of encouragement at our place as that is how the gym is. However, as you might expect some are bigger and stronger plus plus there is very little idolizing. Most have never competed which is interesting as it contrasts most of the self motivated group that has. So, it appears this ladder group if I am painting with a broad brush doesn't really want to be challenged at least subconsciously.

So, while I am not disparaging the ladder group I need to target my demographic. How, to focus our message on the Lone Wolf's and those who have a bit more confidence or at least enough to train around other competitors. That is my next question.

Hawk

Last edited by chicken_hawk; 03-17-2019 at 05:57 PM..
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
Aklion
VET

Aklion will become famous soon enough
I think the best way to draw in the "lone wolf" type is to have the type of equipment we need, not have a lot of "extras" like "free bagels on mondays" or whatever, and to create an environment that is conducive to people working out efficiently and respectfully. I haven't worked out with a training partner in close to 10 years. i prefer to be alone when i train, and I don't like going to gyms where I have to wait for equipment, or where there are other things going on that interfere with my session. For instance, my gym used to have a fitness class right at 530pm every week day where the music was so loud that I could honestly hear it with my earbuds in at full volume. A few of us who are there every day spoke with the owners about it, and they turned the music down so that we aren't blasted with techno for a solid hour.
Aklion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aklion View Post
I think the best way to draw in the "lone wolf" type is to have the type of equipment we need, not have a lot of "extras" like "free bagels on mondays" or whatever, and to create an environment that is conducive to people working out efficiently and respectfully. I haven't worked out with a training partner in close to 10 years. i prefer to be alone when i train, and I don't like going to gyms where I have to wait for equipment, or where there are other things going on that interfere with my session. For instance, my gym used to have a fitness class right at 530pm every week day where the music was so loud that I could honestly hear it with my earbuds in at full volume. A few of us who are there every day spoke with the owners about it, and they turned the music down so that we aren't blasted with techno for a solid hour.
LOL. Yeah, an hour of techno is a bit much for sure. It's interesting you mentioned equipment, because when we first opened we would post and brag about having hammer strength, dbbs to 150s, chalk and multiple squat racks in our little 4k SF gym which was more than our competitors in their 20k SF gyms. Now, in the past few months two out of the three private gyms (the rest are franchise chains) have added another rack and dbbs to 150. Must be watching my kids LOL. But one key thing you said, was none of the extra fluff and waiting around. I can sell both those points.

Thanks,
Hawk
Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
So, I am not passing judgement but I have figured out what the majority of my gym members have in common that separate them from other lifters. Since we don't have contracts I have been able to draw differences between the ones that left and the ones that stay. It essentially boils down to motivation. The ones who stick around are internally motivated and will train alone. They may have a partner but will still come train by themselves. They don't need Addaboys to lift although they like being in an upbeat environment.

Those who leave are part of a pack usually and often the ringleader. They are often the biggest or strongest of their pack or in the case of ladies the fittest. They get plenty of encouragement at our place as that is how the gym is. However, as you might expect some are bigger and stronger plus plus there is very little idolizing. Most have never competed which is interesting as it contrasts most of the self motivated group that has. So, it appears this ladder group if I am painting with a broad brush doesn't really want to be challenged at least subconsciously.

So, while I am not disparaging the ladder group I need to target my demographic. How, to focus our message on the Lone Wolf's and those who have a bit more confidence or at least enough to train around other competitors. That is my next question.

Hawk
Good post, I have many of these exact observations over the years. lol, I'm of the lone wolf variety.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Darkness

Darkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant futureDarkness has a brilliant future
I have no wolf pack.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
A1food4u

go right after them with direct info..... if you have HEAVY DB's say so, if you have a massive amount of 45# or 100# plates say so... if you never have an ass hat curling in the squat racks, say so....

Have a big dude at the desk who is always available to spot a heavy lift and say so!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
chicken_hawk
VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftsiron View Post
Good post, I have many of these exact observations over the years. lol, I'm of the lone wolf variety.
Apparently, most of us here are. Which would explain the initiative to get on the boards in the first place. We don't want to take someone else's word or rely on them. We want to read it and get it ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I have no wolf pack.
I had no doubt brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1food4u View Post
go right after them with direct info..... if you have HEAVY DB's say so, if you have a massive amount of 45# or 100# plates say so... if you never have an ass hat curling in the squat racks, say so....

Have a big dude at the desk who is always available to spot a heavy lift and say so!!!
I did boast on much of the unique stuff till ironically two of the privately owned Foo foo places actually added exactly what we had. Guess they've been watching my kids lol. But now I am gonna step it up and talk on the personal stuff, like ass hats etc. The stuff that really matters. I've been playing it cagey and will still be tactful, but it's do or die and so the gloves are coming off.

Hawk
Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
I feel we're all lone wolf's here.
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
jalakes
VET

jalakes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
I feel we're all lone wolf's here.
I hold the same view. You can hear it in the content of a lot of people's posts. The gym is for work and solitude - the board is for support and comraderie.
jalakes is offline   Reply With Quote