• Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

B-6 lowering prolactin

This article was on rxmuscle

B6 and lowering prolactin

nothing new to many of you, but just thought I would revive some info that could be useful to some...

High levels of the hormone prolactin are a major cause of low testosterone levels,low sex drive, erectile dysfunction and impotency in men.
    A surge in the hormone prolactin after sexual orgasm is the reason why men need a refractory period before they can go again.
    Many men trying to lower prolactin levels choose to use the prescription drugs Bromocriptine and Dostinex (Cabergoline) but, although these drugs are effective at suppressing prolactin, they are expensive and many men experience a host of side effects whilst using them.
    This natural prolactin inhibitor supplement stack will lower prolactin levels in men suffering from high prolactin levels.
    In contrast to prescription prolactin inhibitor drugs, these supplements are extremely cheap and will not cause side effects in the vast majority of users.

Primary Prolactin Inhibitor Supplements:
    1) Vitamin B6
    2) Vitamin E
    3) SAM-e

Secondary Prolactin Inhibitor Supplements:
    1) Ginseng extract
    2) Maca powder
    3) Ashwagandha
    4) Mucuna pruriens
    5) Zinc
    6) Ginkgo Biloba

Vitamin B6

Vitamin B6 is a surprisingly effective prolactin inhibitor that is extremely cheap and safe: One human study showed a single 300mg dosage of B6 exerts ‘a hypothalamic dopaminergic effect’ which causes a ‘significant decrease of plasma prolactin’(1);
    Another found that 300mg of B6 taken twice a day by 10 normal women lowered prolactin levels and slightly but significantly raised growth hormone levels. The authors concluded: ‘The effect of vitamin B6 is likely to be mediated by dopaminergic receptors at hypothalamic level’(2);
    Another study found B6 to significantly reduce ‘opioids-induced hyperprolactinemia’(3);
    This study on men found that ‘Pyridoxine (B6) suppresses the rise in prolactin and increases the rise in growth hormone induced by exercise’(4);
    And a study on male rats found that, ‘Pyridoxine hydrochloride significantly suppressed the chlorpromazine-induced prolactin rise (p less than 0.01). However, the suppression was significantly less than that produced by bromocriptine (p less than 0.01)’(5).
    [Note: The last study shows B6 to be less effective than Bromocriptine as a prolactin inhibitor but, stacked with vitamin e and SAM-e, along with some of the secondary prolactin inhibitors I list at the bottom of the page, effects comparable to bromocriprine can be achieved.]
    The vast majority of people receive the very low RDA for vitamin b6 (2mg) from their diets so this isn’t an issue of correcting a deficiency. It appears, instead, that extra vitamin B6, i.e. around 600mg spread throughout the day, acts in a drug like manner to lower prolactin levels.
    It’s important to realize, however, that the RDA for B6 is set extremely low and many people benefit from getting considerably more than 2mg per day of this vitamin. Vitamin B6 in high doses has been shown in studies to:
    - Reduce high blood pressure.
    - Improve mood and combat depression
    - Lower blood sugar levels in diabetics
    - Act as an effective calcium channel blocker
    A very high dose of B6 may act as a prolactin inhibitor in certain people by correcting a functional deficiency of this vitamin that can occur. Inflammation in the body can create a greater demand for B6 so bodybuilders and athletes may require more of this vitamin.
    Pyrolurics, according to Dr. Carl Pfeiffer and Dr. Abram Hoffer, have an increased need for zinc and B6. People suffering from this illness create abnormally high levels of chemicals called kryptopyrroles, which bind to zinc and B6 in the body, creating deficiencies in both.
    The standard treatment for pyroluria is high dose zinc and B6 supplementation, typically 50-150 mg and 250-1500 mg respectively (way above the RDA for both).

Side effects:
    High doses of B6 taken for many months can cause nerve problems such as tingling in the fingers and numbness in the toes (peripheral neuropathy); B6 can also worsen sleep quality in some people and cause vivid dreams.
    Fortunately, these problems completely resolve once B6 supplementation is stopped and, since it is water soluble, this won’t take too long.

Ways around these side effects:
    One way to avoid the ‘finger tingling’ that high dose B6 can cause is to take the activated form of B6 called Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (P5P) - the activated form of B6 does not cause these nerve issues.
    In fact, the reason that high dose B6 causes nerve problems is that the body can’t always process very high B6 doses properly and this creates a deficiency of the active form of B6, P5P.

Recommended dosage:
    To lower prolactin levels I would recommend you take 50 to 200mg of P5P a day, in divided doses. If you want to take regular B6, which as I've mentioned can sometimes cause minor side effects, take 300 to 1000 mg per day in divided doses.
    Read the label before you buy B6 because the Pyridoxine Hydrochloride type of B6 (in most supplements) has been shown to be a prolactin inhibitor but Pyridoxal hydrochloride has been shown to be ineffective at lowering prolactin (6) – make sure you buy the right type!

ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • baby1
    • Jun 2009

Good info, thanks. B6 is a much need supp but tomuch is not good either. Also good to supplement, I read, when taking GH and experiencing numbness/carpal tunnel pain

Comment

• P. Bateman
      Vet
      • Mar 2009

Wow, this is perfect, Lifts, thank you. I've been looking for exactly this information.
      “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

Comment

• Starman
        Vet
        • Sep 2013

I also have been struggling to balance prolactin and estrogen for long time .Have been amazed at how much test in being converted by my system. And only able to guess whether to high or low. Will get it right for a while and then overshoot.
        MESSAGE TO YOUNGER SELF : GET THE MOTORCYCLE DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE HELMET.
        YOU WILL UNDERSTAND LATER!

Comment

• Darkness
          • Apr 2011

Lifts I know you've coached us to do this for years. I may finally listen . What dose do you use and what kind/where do you get it?

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

I use spring valley from walmart 200mgs twice per day.
            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• baby1
              • Jun 2009

Have to be careful with b6 though as to much can cause nerve issues

Comment

• liftsiron
                Administrator
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by baby1
                Have to be careful with b6 though as to much can cause nerve issues
                Yes quite true, normally at very large dose though, and the issues resolve themselves shortly after the dose is reduced.
                ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Darkness
                  • Apr 2011

Thanks lifts

Comment

• baby1
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by liftsiron
                    Yes quite true, normally at very large dose though, and the issues resolve themselves shortly after the dose is reduced.
                    This true but dosages over 100mg is usually not recommended usles in fact one knows they are defiveint in B6

Comment

• baby1
                      • Jun 2009

Good read about B6 and B12

Can You Take Too Much Vitamin B6 & Vitamin B12?

Taking too much vitamin B6 can cause nerve damage, but vitamin B12 is safe for most people.

Sufficient amounts of vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 are needed to stay well and feel your best, but it’s possible to get too much of these vitamins if you take supplements. Taking too much vitamin B6 can be harmful because excess amounts of B6 can cause nerve damage. Taking too much vitamin B12 is rare, but excess amounts of B12 may cause complications for people with certain underlying conditions. Consult your doctor before taking vitamin B6 or vitamin B12 to avoid health problems.

Functions

All the B vitamins are important for producing energy and fighting infection and disease, but vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 also play a role in cognitive function. Vitamin B6 helps make neurotransmitters needed for brain development, and vitamin B12 keeps your nerve and blood cells healthy and aids in making DNA, among other functions. Low levels of vitamin B12, as well as vitamin B6 and other B vitamins, may be linked to depression, according to MayoClinic.com, and vitamin B12 is sometimes taken to boost mood and help with memory loss. A deficiency of either B6 or B12 can cause anemia, so these vitamins may be taken to treat this condition, which leads to low energy.

Tolerable Upper Limits

Adults ages 19 to 50 need 1.3 milligrams of vitamin B6 daily, while older women need 1.5 milligrams and senior men need 1.7 milligrams. Don’t take more than 100 milligrams a day, which is the upper tolerable limit set by the federal government. Adults of all ages need 2.4 micrograms a day of vitamin B12; there is no upper tolerable limit for B12 because high doses are considered safe for most people. The National Institutes of Health’s Office of Dietary Supplements notes that nutrients should come primarily from foods rather than supplements. Vitamin B6 is found in a variety of foods; vitamin B12 is found only in animal products, with beef liver and clams the richest sources.

B6 Health Risks

High intakes of vitamin B6 from food is safe, but taking high doses of B6 supplements for a year or longer can cause severe and worsening neuropathy characterized by loss of control of bodily movements. According to the Office of Dietary Supplements, symptoms of neuropathy usually stop when the supplements are discontinued. Harvard School of Public Health states that high-dose vitamin B supplements should be avoided because they could lead to nerve damage. Taking too much vitamin B6 can also cause sensitivity to the sun, painful and disfiguring skin lesions and gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea and heartburn. Taking vitamin B6 can also interfere with several types of medications.

B12 Health Risks

Taking vitamin B12 is considered safe, although high-dose supplements or prescription-only injections of B12 might cause diarrhea, itching, blood clots and allergic reactions in some people. If you have a hereditary eye disease known as Leber’s disease, vitamin B12 could seriously harm the optic nerve, which might lead to blindness. People who are allergic to the element cobalt should also avoid taking vitamin B12 because it could cause an allergic reaction. Vitamin B12 is sometimes used to treat a type of anemia, but Medline Plus cautions that this therapy should be supervised by a health care provider because the treatment can have side effects. Aside from these conditions and possible interactions with other supplements, taking vitamin B12 is safe. Even so, the Office of Dietary Supplements advises telling your doctor or other healthcare provider about any supplements you take.

Comment

• liftsiron
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by baby1
                        This true but dosages over 100mg is usually not recommended usles in fact one knows they are defiveint in B6
                        You can't go by the RDA, otherwise no one would take more than 60mgs of vitimin C per day. I know of no one who has had problems with B6 at 200mgs twice per day, I have exceeded that for for years without problem. Also I have little faith in articles written by Jan Sheehan a journalist who is known to be an anti vitimin anti supplement activist without any education whatsoever in nutrition or allied health.
                        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• baby1
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by liftsiron
                          You can't go by the RDA, otherwise no one would take more than 60mgs of vitimin C per day. I know of no one who has had problems with B6 at 200mgs twice per day, I have exceeded that for for years without problem. Also I have little faith in articles written by Jan Sheehan a journalist who is known to be an anti vitimin anti supplement activist without any education whatsoever in nutrition or allied health.
                          I know the FDA limits are just guides and on the low end anyway. In fact, I have NO faith in the FDa,lol. I have read about b6 in many places not just this article. If it works for you than that is awesome. I do have nerve problems and take about 100mg a day and it honestly hasnt bothered me yet either. Also very good for mood too. I agrre it is a great supp, just thought I woiuld share what I have found over the years of reading.

thanks

Comment

• Rajincajun
                            Vet
                            • May 2007

Lifts, how long before you would start seeing results?
                            Ok being I'm about to be 47 I'm sure my prolactin is going to be a little high. I'll run it for a few week and see what happens.
                            48? It's only the beginning.
                            In life I fail and fail again, that's why I succeed..

Comment

• liftsiron
                              Administrator
                              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Rajincajun
                              Lifts, how long before you would start seeing results?
                              Ok being I'm about to be 47 I'm sure my prolactin is going to be a little high. I'll run it for a few week and see what happens.
                              I run it all the time because B6 is essential with metabolism of protein. I never have prolactin issues.
                              I would suspect a couple weeks and you should see results. Some people prolactin prone, need a stronger
                              remedy though.
                              ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

Working...