X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota
    VET
    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by willsgotrythm
    Yes sir...you can get some seeds that are supposedly NOT gmo. They are called heirloom seeds. I'm not sure where they come from and I've never bought any but supposedly they are good seeds. The house I have now we are planning to rent it in the future but when we get the house we are going to stay in we'll start a garden. If those seeds are still around by then that's what I'll get.
    Heirloom are seeds from many many years back brought to market again. That does not been they have not been genetically modified. It means they have not been GMO in the modern sense of the term. They are not gene spliced. Since the early 1900s food was genetically modified by irradiating it and mutating the genes. Frankenfoods you might say. Bombard them with radiation and then plant them and see what happens.

Sometimes you get desirable results and you run with it. That is why there are a million different types and colors of roses. There is also simple hybridization. Crossing two different plants.

Heirloom tomatoes are pretty good. Expensive but almost like a home grown tomato. Unfortunately they last about 2 days on the shelf. That is why all produce tastes like shit now. It has been modified to last 10 days on a grocery store shelf. Plastic tomatoes look nice, no blemishes. Taste like paper.
    The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• b52
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by willsgotrythm
      Yes sir...you can get some seeds that are supposedly NOT gmo. They are called heirloom seeds. I'm not sure where they come from and I've never bought any but supposedly they are good seeds. The house I have now we are planning to rent it in the future but when we get the house we are going to stay in we'll start a garden. If those seeds are still around by then that's what I'll get.
      I'd still be weary but regardless it's probably better than buying them.

Comment

• willsgotrythm
        Vet
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Dakota
        Heirloom are seeds from many many years back brought to market again. That does not been they have not been genetically modified. It means they have not been GMO in the modern sense of the term. They are not gene spliced. Since the early 1900s food was genetically modified by irradiating it and mutating the genes. Frankenfoods you might say. Bombard them with radiation and then plant them and see what happens.

Sometimes you get desirable results and you run with it. That is why there are a million different types and colors of roses. There is also simple hybridization. Crossing two different plants.

Heirloom tomatoes are pretty good. Expensive but almost like a home grown tomato. Unfortunately they last about 2 days on the shelf. That is why all produce tastes like shit now. It has been modified to last 10 days on a grocery store shelf. Plastic tomatoes look nice, no blemishes. Taste like paper.
        Ah ok, I didn't realize that about the heirloom seeds. I agree with you about the veggies and fruit tasting like shit these days. The fruit is not even sweet anymore.

Comment

Working...