• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PTAaron

Cardio Friday:
    Stepmill x 20 minutes
    Treadmill x 25 minutes
    Avg Heart Rate: 128bpm
    Time "in zone": 45:26 - yes that is longer than I was actually doing my cardio... I forgot to turn off the stop watch until I got down the stairs and heading on my way out the door. Total time on the stopwatch was 47:46.

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 2 - sort of. 7/25/07

Again, I didn't do it GVT style - since you can't really do that with a training partner. I went more for a "DC Like" approach to the workout.

Barbell Squat: (Ass to the Grass)
      245lbs x 5
      185lbs x 8
      155lbs (smith machine) x 19
      *See NOTES below...

Seated Hamstring Curl:
      150lbs x 34 Rest Paused
      *I guessed a little light on these.

Cybex Calves:
      Last Time: 210lbs x 3 sets of 14
      This Time: 190x12, 210x12, 230x12

The end.

NOTES:
      Okay... so quick review on the "me and barbell squats" history: The heaviest I have ever done since I started doing them below parallel is 265 x 7 - and that was in January 2006 while I was at my strongest on every exercise. The most I have done since that time (my shoulder surgery and subsequent layoff started in February... followed by knee injury... and so on) was 245x4 back in December of 2006... then recently my 10 sets of 6 with 185lbs. So basically what I am saying is 245 x 5 today was pretty damn exciting! It was a combination of wanting to show my client how hard you should push yourself, and having a bit of added confidence with my new Inzer belt - meaning for once I didn't have to worry about my low back feeling like it was going to explode!
      My client has asked to make Wednesdays a regular workout thing ... so this should be FUN!

I'm feeling a lot better about where I am at today... I just needed something to go right in the gym to help get my mind back on track. I WILL become a human forklift. I WILL shatter my previous records. I WILL be ripped (10% bf or less) and at least 235-240lbs at my wedding.

Comment

• PTAaron

Finally got friday's workout up... as well as todays:

Last Friday's Workout:
        Workout 3 (formerly workout 1) - rotation 4

Incline Dumbell Bench:
        Last Time: 70s x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x5,x4,x4
        This Time: 70s x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x4!!!!
        *DOH!!

Rack Chins to the Front:
        Last Time: +25lbs x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x5
        This Time: +25lbs x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6!!
        *YEAH!!

Flyes:
        Last Time: 105lbs x8,x8,x7
        This Time: 120lbs x7,x6,x6

Barbell Rows:
        Last Time: 225lbs x4,x4,x2
        This Time: 225lbs x6,x4,x3

NOTES:
        Good workout!

---

Workout 1 (formerly workout 3) - 4th rotation - 7/30/07

EZ Curl Triceps on the Floor: (60 second rest between sets)
        Last Time: 10 sets of 6 with 85lbs
        This Time: 10 sets of 5 with 95lbs!!
        *I went with sets of 5 since this was more than a 10% increase in weight... follows along with the "advanced" guidelines where you increase by larger amounts, but do 1 less rep per set. I am VERY happy with the outcome!!

Seated Dumbell Curl: (60 second rest between sets)
        Last Time: 45lbs x5,x5,x5,x5,x4,x3,x4,x2,x0,x0
        This Time: 45lbs x 20 Rest Paused
        *I decided to avoid the problem I had last time by doing it rest paused. No pain in the bicep/shoulder. VERY happy with the results! The rest paused sections went: 10, rest, 6, rest, 4 ... so 45lbs was a good choice for 10 sets of 5 (10 rep max)... but this felt GREAT.

Dumbell Lateral Raise:
        Last Time: 35lbs x 3 sets of 12
        This Time: 40lbs x12, x10, x7
        *Oops.

Machine Reverse Flye:
        Last Time: 100lbs x 3 sets of 12
        This Time: 110lbs x 3 sets of 12

NOTES:
        Good workout. I'm really happy with how it went except I crapped out on lateral raises! LOL! Thats ok, I think it is a stupid exercise anyway - presses are MUCH better for building mass. I am only doing these because that is what the GVT program suggested and I didn't want to mess with the program too much more than I already have.

Comment

• PTAaron

Quick update:
          Bodyweight today was 246lbs. That is 6lbs more than when I started back to the gym on 7/2/07.
          I thought I posted it... but at that time I was 240lbs, waist was 36.5" at my "waist" and 38" at my navel (largest area). I will measure that tomorrow morning and see where I am now. I haven't been doing cardio as regularly as planned, and my diet is only about 85% consistent at this point!

Comment

• PTAaron

Cardio today:
            Stepmill x 20 minutes
            Treadmill x 25 minutes
            Average heart rate: 125bpm
            Time "In Zone": 43:40

Waist measurements as promised: 36.5" at "waist" and 37.5 at navel.
            I almost didn't do this today because I've been having some big time "digestive issues" this morning and thought I was going to be severely bloated... guess not!
            Anyway... 6lb gain in bodyweight, no change in waist size at "belt level" and 1/2" loss at navel level. Not bad considering I have barely been doing cardio, and I've been eating extra crap.

Comment

• PTAaron

Let me start out by explaining my leg routine since it isn't GVT and it isn't DC: Right now I am following the GVT format for my split. Following DC guidelines for my quad and ham exercises, and doing calves as I would for GVT. I am too big of a puss right now to want to try doing DC calves - but I will switch to that next round. I am also alternating between 2 leg workouts - so one week I do the one with squats, the next week I do hack squats - and alternate like that. Why am I doing it like this? I am getting sick of doing the same exercises every week as you are supposed to do with GVT!
              Okay... on with today's workout!

Workout 2 - 5th Rotation - 8/1/07
              Last Time = 7/18/07
              Prone Hamstring Curls:
              Last Time: 110lbs x 20 Rest Paused
              This Time: 120lbs x 21 Rest Paused

Hack Squat Calves:
              Last Time: 270+sled x 20, 360+sled x 20, 450+sled x 10
              This Time: 450+sled x15, x14, x12 (60 second rest)

Hack Squat:
              Last Time: 450+sled x 9; 540+sled x 3; 360+sled x20
              This Time: 450+sled x 12; 540+sled x 5!!!; 360+sled x 20

NOTES:
              AWESOME WORKOUT!! Holy crap! So last time around on these I did 540 x 3 and that was a new PR... I blew that away by 2 QUALITY reps. I had to FIGHT to keep my hands away from my thighs on the last 2 reps - I really wanted to push off my thighs "just a little" at the bottom of the reps... but I didn't do it. I was literally fighting with myself to keep my hands off! LOL! My 3rd rep last time had a little help (forearms against upper thighs for the first 2 inches of the push) - not so this time. The funny thing about hacks for me is that the bottom 2-4 inches are the hardest - after that I can shoot up like I have no weight on me... I think that is from YEARS of doing squats to "almost parallel". Anyway... VERY excited about how this workout went. I was working out with my training client again - which helped. I forgot how nice it is to have a spotter so you don't have to worry about getting crushed!

Comment

• goes4ever
                • Sep 2004

looking way strong bro!

Comment

• PTAaron

***Few notes before I post my workout... you can skip ahead if you don't care about this part I won't be offended!***

Could of days I didn't hit the gym... last Friday I was EXHAUSTED and couldn't even get out of bed until my alarm had been going off for an hour and a half - so I missed that workout. Saturday we were up at 6:30am - worked til noon, went to a "couples" bridal shower, then went to a concert. Sunday we were up at 8am to check out a church for our wedding... that was an hour away. Monday morning we had to go to a funeral for my uncle that passed away on Saturday! So it has been a full few days.

Friday I got in my latest supplement order from Zupplements.com - and started testing out Novadex XT from Gaspari Nutrition. I've read good things about it as a general test booster including some people who individually had themselves checked and found that it increased their test levels. I'm hoping that will help with promoting the healing of my injuries as well as helping with packing on some more muscle. I also got in my order of Venom Hyperdrive 3.0 - which I started taking Monday... works just like I remembered: spent the whole day sweating my ass off even though it was 69 degrees in the clinic and I was in a short sleeved shirt!

Anyway - on to my workout for today:

Workout 1 - Rotation 5 - 8/7/07
                  Goal for first exercise is 10 sets of 4 (following the "Advanced" GVT protocol on triceps now).

EZ Curl Triceps:
                  Last Time: 95lbs x 10 sets of 5 (60 second rest)
                  This Time: 105lbs x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x3,x3 (60 second rest)
                  *DAMN that was hard!

Seated Dumbell Curl: (doing these rest paused instead of GVT)
                  Last Time: 45lbs x 20 Rest Paused
                  This Time: 45lbs x 21 Rest Paused
                  *Arms were so pumped, I didn't think I was going to be able to even get 15!

Dumbell Lateral Raise:
                  Last Time: 40lbs x12, x10, x7 (60 second rest periods)
                  This Time: 40lbs x 12, x12, x7 (60 second rest periods)
                  *That last set SUCKS! OUCH!

Rear Delt Flyes (machine):
                  Last Time: 110lbs x12, x12, x12 (60 second rest periods)
                  This Time: 120lbs x12, x12, x12 (60 second rest periods)

NOTES:
                  Really happy with this workout! My left shoulder/biceps felt pretty good on these, only minor soreness. I'm still getting occasional sharp pains in it with things I do at work - but in the gym it has been OK. I'm a little disappointed with the triceps exercise - but what are ya gonna do

On a side note - I tried some tri-creatine malate today in my waxy maize post workout shake... lets just say that the combination of that, beta alanine, and glutamine is NASTY. Personally I almost prefer the battery acid taste of CEE!!

Comment

• PTAaron

Originally posted by goes4ever
                    looking way strong bro!
                    Thanks man! I'm feeling really good about my workouts, especially my leg workouts.

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 2 - Rotation 6 - 8/8/07
                      In case you haven't been following along - I am alternating 2 different leg workouts every other week, doing them in a "DC inspired" way instead of a GVT way because I am working out on Wednesdays with one of my personal training clients. I'm not calling it a DC leg workout - because I don't want to be accused of screwing with DC's program!

Cybex Rotary Calves:
                      Last Time: 190x12; 210x12; 230x12
                      This Time: 150 x 12 (5 second negatives, 15 second stretch at bottom of each rep)

Seated Hamstring Curl:
                      Last Time: 150lbs x 34 Rest Paused
                      This Time: 180lbs x 33 Rest Paused !!
                      *wow... I guess I am a lot stronger than I think on this one!

Barbell Squat: (Below parallel/ATG)
                      Last Time: 245lbs x 5; 185lbs x 8; Widowmaker: 155lbs x 19 (in smith machine)
                      This Time: 275lbs x 5!!; 205 x 6 (out of breath, had to stop at 6); Widowmaker: 155lbs x 20 in smith machine

NOTES:
                      YEAH!!! New PR for "below parallel" squats! Previous PR for below parallel was 265lbs x 7 - and that was well over a year ago (1/4/06) before my string of knee and shoulder injuries. I felt really strong on these too... my usual "struggling out of the bucket" problem wasn't really an issue today. I DID end up getting stuck on the safety pins as I attempted rep 6... but who cares! I set a new PR! On my "lighter" squat set I just ran out of air... I was getting light headed so I decided not to push my luck.

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 3 - Rotation 5 - 8/10/07
                        NOTE: I missed this workout last week, so it has been 2 weeks since I did this workout.

Incline Dumbell Bench Press: (60 second rest between sets)
                        Last Time: 70lb dumbells x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x4
                        This Time: 75lb dumbells x6,x6,x6,x6,x6,x5,x4,x3,x2,x2
                        *Goal of course was 10 sets of 6. I decided to go up to 75s since I was sick of using 70s. No - I am not a very patient person Clearly I fatigued out too quickly here! LOL!

Rack Chins:
                        Last Time: 10 sets of 6 with 25lbs on my lap
                        This Time: 35lbs x 18 Rest Paused
                        *I decided that I didn't want to get pissed off again when my arms fatigued before my back... so I went rest paused instead.

Machine Flyes: (60 second rest - goal is 3 sets of 6)
                        Last Time: 120lbs x7,x6,x6
                        This Time: 135lbs x6,x6,x5

Barbell Rows (reverse grip): (60 second rest - goal is 3 of 6)
                        Last Time: 225lbs x6, x4, x3
                        This Time: 225lbs x6, x6, x6!!

NOTES:
                        As you can see... I'm discovering that GVT is hard, it works well, it hurts like crazy - but I just don't like doing that many damn sets! LOL!!! I am REALLY pleased with my barbell row progression - that was unexpected.
                        Another note - I love my lever lock Inzer belt, but I discovered during this workout that I had cut the my headphone wire on my squat workout! When I snapped the lever open after my set the wire got caught, I thought it was ok... but during this workout I was only hearing half the sound from my mp3 player! Damn it! Those were nearly brand new headphones too!

Comment

• PTAaron

Monday's workout:

Workout 1 - Rotation 6 - 8/13/07
                          EZ Curl Triceps: (60 second rest between sets)
                          Last Time: 105lbs x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x4,x3,x3
                          This Time: 115lbs x3,x3,x3,x3,x2,x1 done
                          *See "notes" below

Seated Dumbell Curl:
                          Couldn't do it - right arm hurt too much. See "Notes".

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press:
                          70lbs per side x 19 Rest Paused
                          *Again... see "Notes"

NOTES:
                          Been waiting for this section to show up right? Okay here is the deal... I haven't mentioned it on here, but for the last 3 weeks my right wrist has been hurting me pretty badly. I tweaked it at some point, and this is a recurring problem of mine - so I have been treating it on my own and wearing my wrist splint at night and so on... Last Monday after my triceps/biceps/shoulder workout my RIGHT biceps/shoulder were just killing me. Felt like a toothache going from the front of my shoulder down to my wrist... I pulled of the workout on Friday pretty well, considering the way my arm felt. I had planned to take this week off - but this morning I was feeling good so I went for it anyway. Halfway through the triceps exercise the shoulder/arm pain came back, so I stopped. Tried doing some light dumbell curls - but I couldn't even curl 30lb dumbells... so I decided to do a shoulder pressing exercise instead because that would be less stress on my arms/shoulder joints. That felt really good. I ended up going back and doing a single arm biceps curl machine 3 sets of 20 with 20lbs. That felt pretty good... but right now the arm just has a constant ache to it. I'm 90% sure it is neck related because it goes down to my thumb, so I am going to self treat my neck the rest of this week and see how it does.
                          I'm not too upset about this... I should be fine if I skip my upper body training for a week. Legs are making such good gains, I would hate to take a break there!

Comment

• PTAaron

Cardio Tuesday:
                            Stepmill x 20 minutes
                            Treadmill x 25 minutes
                            Average Heart Rate: 125bpm
                            Time "In Zone": 44:26

Comment

• PTAaron

Workout 2 - Rotation 7 - 8/15/07
                              Been 2 weeks since I did this exact workout... since I alternate 2 different leg workouts each week.

Hack Squat Calves:
                              Last Time: 450lbs+sled x15, 14, 17
                              This Time: 270lbs+sled x 12 (5 second negative, 15 second stretch each rep. Ouch.)

Hack Squats:
                              Last Time: 450lbs+sled x 12; 540lbs+sled x 5; Widowmaker: 360lbs+sled x 20
                              This Time: 470lbs+sled x 14!!; 560lbs+sled x 5!!; Widowmaker: 380lbs+sled x 20

Prone Hamstring Curls:
                              Last Time: 120lbs x 21 Rest Paused
                              This Time: 130lbs x 20 Rest Paused

NOTES:
                              HOLY CRAP! Another new personal best on legs!! Damn man! I honestly could have made it to 6 reps - but I was worried I was going to pee my pants if I went for another rep! :-O
                              I started out the workout with almost no motivation... but when I threw on the 470lbs I suddenly felt like a machine. There is something about putting on that belt and flipping that lever that is literally like "flipping the switch"!
                              Damn that was a good workout!

Exciting side note: My trainee (the guy I have been working out with on leg days lately) that I mentioned a little while back that had gone from 157 up to 165 just let me know that today that he is now at 172lbs! He is up 15lbs now in under 3 months! Not bad considering he isn't even doing the diet at 100%. Just wanted to share that - I'm really excited for him!

Comment

• PTAaron

Taking some time off of weights for this week. Doing cardio only... will be starting a DC rotation next week.

Comment

Working...