"Testosterone and oxandrolone," a study.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrhtbd

"Testosterone and oxandrolone," a study.

Found this study interesting, what do you think?

"Testosterone and oxandrolone (anavar), a nonaromatizable androgen, specifically amplify the mass and rate of growth hormone (GH)
    secreted per burst without altering GH secretory burst duration or frequency or the GH half-life.

A Ulloa-Aguirre, RM Blizzard, E Garcia-Rubi, AD Rogol, K Link, CM Christie, ML Johnson and JD Veldhuis
    Instituto Nacional De La Nutricion, Salvador Zubiran, Tlalpan, Mexico.

We investigated the mechanisms by which androgens increase mean circulating GH concentrations in boys.

We tested two hypotheses:
    1) testosterone increases serum GH concentrations at least in part via an androgen receptor-mediated mechanism, rather than exclusively by way of aromatization to estrogen;
    2) androgen augments one or more specific features to GH secretion (secretory burst number, amplitude, and/or duration)
    and/or prolongs the half-life of GH removal.

To examine these hypotheses,
    prepubertal boys with constitutionally delayed development and/or growth were given injections of testosterone (100 mg monthly; n = 7)
    or treated with oral oxandrolone (anavar), a nonaromatizable androgen (1.25 mg twice daily; n = 5).

Pulsatile GH release was studied before and during androgen administration by sampling blood at 20-min intervals for 24 h.

The immunoreactive GH time series were subjected to a novel deconvolution technique, which revealed that
    1) testosterone and oxandrolone each increased mean (24-h) serum GH concentrations significantly;
    2) both androgens augmented the daily endogenous GH secretory rate significantly;
    3) increased GH production resulted from a higher mass of GH secreted per burst and a higher maximal rate of GH secretion within each burst; and
    4) androgens amplified the magnitude of the nyctohemeral rhythm in the mass (but not frequency) of GH secretory pulses.

The observed effects of androgen were specific, since the number and duration of GH secretory bursts and the subject-specific GH half-life were unaltered by androgen treatment.

We conclude that androgen acting apart from conversion to estrogen is capable of specifically activating the somatotropic axis via distinct neuroendocrine secretory mechanisms."

My take: I thought this was interesting for several reasons:
    1) the study used both an aromatizable and non-aromatizable steriod,
    2) the participants were boys, but the relatively small amounts used
    showed significant results.
    (Amounts used:
    100mg testosterone monthly, and 1.25 mg of oxandrolone twice daily.)
    3) I didn't realize there was a corresponding connection between testosterone and anavar on GH secretion.
    and 4) I was surprised that oxandrolone had such an impact on GH in such low doses.

A prepubescent boy weighs about 70 lbs. (give or take), I weigh 3 times that, so does that suggest I could take 7.5 mg of oxandrolone a day and get significant stimulus on GH? What about 300mg of testosterone?
    Hmmm...
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

The two certainly seem to work well together.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• makaveli25
      VET
      • Oct 2007

test var and primo.. cadillac cycle hopefully my next
      ITS THE DOG IN ME THAT MAKES ME DO WRONG

"RIP I.T"

Comment

• Mick-G
        VET
        • Jan 2005

I would tend to think any androgen would significantly increase gh levels or bursts in prepubescent boys. You can not correlate this to an adult male though. You would have to look at another study done on..say males 21-30. I would tend to think the older the male, the less impact the androgen would have on gh levels after the average males prime age, of course at a slow rate. Also, prepubescent boys do not have a regulartory testicular axis yet, so even given the 100mg of testosterone per month or the 1.25mg var twice ed, it would have a significant impact, especially if the child has low growth levels to begin with. I do not recall the mean of which testosterone nor any other androgen effects on gh has as far as a baseline, but i have read that it does effect igf levels through the pituitary gland; to what degree..i can not remember, but i have read many articles of increases on gh and igf in men. That is why bbers or anyone that is wanting to build muscle uses an androgen, other than for trt or hrt, and also ppl with auto immune diseases.

Comment

• Tbizzle

always wanted to run some var. Sounds like I may give it a shot next go around.

Comment

• JohnnyB
            vet
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by makaveli25
            test var and primo.. cadillac cycle hopefully my next
            That's on my wish list as well.

JohnnyB

Comment

Working...