Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Khaleesi_7
    • Jun 2014

Skipping meals...

I try to make sure to have at least 5 meals per day, 3 of them being main meals and snacks in between.

In my line of work I often get so consumed that I often times do not have time for a break or lunch so I skip a meal or 2. I understand that this may hinder my ability to reach specific goals, but my question is, will it make me gain weight? I hear a lot of mixed information, some stating weight gain due to "starvation mode" and some stating that scientifically, if you are at a calorie deficit, it is impossible to gain weight?

What are your thoughts?
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

The metabolic increase one gets from eating 5 meals instead of 3 is pretty insignificant. In order to go into a starvation mode you need to be at an extreme calorie deficit for days not hours. A method of getting cut while maintaining muscle is gaining popularity, it consists of eating all your daily calories in 12 hours, followed by a 12 hour fast before training. BCAA's are consumed however, 30 minutes prior to your workout, this negates muscle loss but does not inhibit increased burning of fat during the workout.
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Khaleesi_7
      • Jun 2014

Awesome, thank you! Do you have any recommendations on diets to lose fat? I am 5'2, about 135lbs and body fat % is 22. I am very active, I run 3-5 days a week for 45 minutes, and I am also on a tough weight training program. If there is any other specific information you need, please let me know.

Comment

• liftsiron
        Administrator
        • Nov 2003

Keep your cardio at approx 65% of your max heart range. This will burn the greatest ratio of fat to muscle. Often to intense cardio burns a good deal of muscle, which may actually reduce your metabolism because of the muscle lost. I worked with some women in the 30-40% plus bodyfat range.
        Most had been on weight watchers or some similiar plan and had done aerobics for years w/o much result.
        The first thing that I did was have them stop all aerobic exercise except walking. And put them on a push/pull/legs program. Legs would be done 3 times in a 14 day time frame the push and pull workouts 4 times each in 14 days.
        I would start them on a diet 10Xbodyweight in pounds to determine daily calorie intake. Macro ratios would be approx 55% calories from protein 25% from carbs and 15% or less from fats.
        I had several women lose 70-100 lbs within a year.
        I also worked with behavior modification so that these ladies could keep the weight off long term.
        Most have kept 80-90% of the fat off for more than five years. A few have even got thinner.
        ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Khaleesi_7
          • Jun 2014

Thank you again for the advice. I wasn't really sure how to calculate the macros. I am currently keeping my cardio at around 65% of max heart rate. It has always been really easy for me to put on muscle, so I am thankful for that. I am just struggling on the last few pounds and my "problem" areas. It's always the last bit that seems to be the most difficult. I am on a t3, clen, and ketotifen cycle which has provided excellent results.

Comment

• liftsiron
            Administrator
            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Khaleesi_7
            Thank you again for the advice. I wasn't really sure how to calculate the macros. I am currently keeping my cardio at around 65% of max heart rate. It has always been really easy for me to put on muscle, so I am thankful for that. I am just struggling on the last few pounds and my "problem" areas. It's always the last bit that seems to be the most difficult. I am on a t3, clen, and ketotifen cycle which has provided excellent results.
            Once you get ripped, you need to adjust your calories upward a bit to maintain.
            It's unfortunate that our problem areas are the last place to shed fat and the first place to gain it back.
            ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Khaleesi_7
              • Jun 2014

Yeah, it sucks! It's even more difficult that I am a woman. Men have it easy! My husband eats whatever he wants and doesn't have a problem.

Comment

• Rocky83
                Vet
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Khaleesi_7
                Yeah, it sucks! It's even more difficult that I am a woman. Men have it easy! My husband eats whatever he wants and doesn't have a problem.

^^^Don't drag me into this LOL j/k!

Comment

• Khaleesi_7
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Rocky83
                  ^^^Don't drag me into this LOL j/k!
                  lol haha, am I not speaking the truth!?

Comment

• Rocky83
                    Vet
                    • Jun 2014

I thank my parents for good genetics lol!!!

Comment

• Cabo Jo
                      Vet
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by liftsiron
                      Keep your cardio at approx 65% of your max heart range. This will burn the greatest ratio of fat to muscle. Often to intense cardio burns a good deal of muscle, which may actually reduce your metabolism because of the muscle lost. I worked with some women in the 30-40% plus bodyfat range.
                      Most had been on weight watchers or some similiar plan and had done aerobics for years w/o much result.
                      The first thing that I did was have them stop all aerobic exercise except walking. And put them on a push/pull/legs program. Legs would be done 3 times in a 14 day time frame the push and pull workouts 4 times each in 14 days.
                      I would start them on a diet 10Xbodyweight in pounds to determine daily calorie intake. Macro ratios would be approx 55% calories from protein 25% from carbs and 15% or less from fats.
                      I also worked with behavior modification so that these ladies could keep the weight off long term.
                      Most have kept 80-90% of the fat off for more than five years. A few have even got thinner.

that's huge,great job lifts.

Comment

• BikerTrash
                        Vet
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by liftsiron
                        Excellent post, Excellent info right there....Very informative .

Comment

Working...