• Show
Clear All
  • liftsiron
    Administrator
    • Nov 2003

T3 & T4 info

posted by stout1 on musclesci

T3 & T4 info

Seduniatoto adalah Bandar online terbesar dan terpercaya di seluruh indonesia. situs online dengan minimal depo 10.000, dengan metode pembayaran yang lengkap dengan adanya bank,e-wallet,pulsa.

The T3 Story
    T what?
    Let's hear you pronounce it: triiodothyronine. There, now you know why the name is usually shortened to T3. T4 (thyroxine) and T3 are the main thyroid hormones. T3 is five to eight times as strong as T4 (taking into consideration that it's absorbed at a higher rate than T4), and it's biologically more active. T4 is like the food in your refrigerator, while T3 is like the food on your plate.

T4 is slow acting, with a half-life of about one week — after a week, you have about half the level of the T4 still in your body, a week or so later you have half of that half remaining, and so on. Its full effects aren't reached until about six weeks after starting or changing a dose, which is why lab tests are optimally done every six weeks or so until a patient with hypothyroidism has reached satisfactory and stable thyroid hormone levels. T3, on the other hand, has a half-life of about a day. People on T3 sometimes feel its effects within minutes after taking it.

T3 is available as a separate synthetic medication with the brand name Cytomel in the US and Canada, and Tertroxin in the UK. It's usually prescribed along with a synthetic T4 medication. In the US, a synthetic T4/T3 combination is available with the brand name Thyrolar.

Natural, desiccated thyroid from pigs' thyroids with the brand name Armour is sold in the US, and in Canada, desiccated thyroid with the brand name Thyroid is made by Pfizer (formerly by Parke-Davis). Westhroid and Nature-throid are available in the US, and Nature-throid is also available in Europe.

T3 or not T3
    A thyroid gland that functions normally produces T4 and T3. Twenty percent of the T3 circulating in the body comes directly from the thyroid gland, and the remaining 80 percent comes from conversion of T4. Because of this conversion process, most doctors prescribe only synthetic T4 medication (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Eltroxin, Unithroid, and others). Many patients with hypothyroidism do fine on T4 only.

However, many others don't, and they need T3 supplementation in addition to T4. If the thyroid gland is malfunctioning and not producing enough — or any — T4, why assume that it still puts out enough T3, or that the body converts enough of its T4 to T3?

The addition of T3 often helps with many symptoms of hypothyroidism that may not disappear with supplemental T4 only. It has improved people's libido, memories, and vision. It has eliminated or greatly reduced brain fog, feeling cold, constipation, depression, chronic fatigue, headaches, insomnia, muscle and joint pain, and chronic sinus infections. For some people, but not all, it has helped them finally lose weight. A small percentage of people who try it feel worse or no better on it.

T3 tests
    Do lab tests show if a person needs T3 supplementation? Sometimes. If free T3 is lower in its range than free T4 is, this suggests that more T3 would be beneficial for that person. On the other hand, some people who have posted in alt.support.thyroid have had lab results that did not indicate a problem with T3, but they still had symptoms of hypothyroidism, and the addition of T3 helped them.

Lab results do not tell the whole story. However, most people with hypothyroidism in alt.support.thyroid feel best when their free T4 and free T3 levels are in the upper part of their ranges. The exception is with people who are on desiccated thyroid. Because it contains a higher ratio of T3 to T4 than our thyroids produce, people taking it have a free T4 level that's lower in its range when the free T3 level is where it should be, in the upper part of its range.

Tell my doctor
    Doctors are taught in medical school that T4 is the only thyroid medication that patients with hypothyroidism need. For many patients, that's true. The problem is that many other patients are left with reduced quality of life on T4 only — but their health improves greatly once T3 is added.

The medical establishment is increasingly looking at T3 in addition to T4 as essential treatment for some hypothyroid patients. Not having been educated on its use, however, some doctors are hesitant to prescribe it. That's why we've compiled references from medical journals and other sources that discuss the effectiveness, safety, and necessity of T3 supplementation for many patients with hypothyroidism.

The following are some ways to find a doctor who prescribes T3 for some patients:

Ask pharmacists in your area for the names of doctors who prescribe T3 (Cytomel or Tertroxin, depending on your country).
    Search for a doctor on Mary Shomon's Top Docs list.
    Ask in alt.support.thyroid or the thyroid.about.com forum if anyone knows of a suitable doctor in your area.
    If your country or continent is listed on the Country Specific page, see if any of the sites linked to from that page have information about doctors and T3.
    Bring medical references if necessary (see the column at the right) and ask your current doctor to prescribe at least a trial amount of T3.
    Tell me more
    See the links at the right on this and all the pages in the T3 section of this site. The T3 References page provides an overview of the references and why we need them. The compilations of references are divided into medical journal references and references from other sources, and each has a printer-friendly version so that you can take these references to your doctor if they're relevant to your situation.

The above list of symptoms that T3 has helped with is from the "T3: Patients' Experiences" compilations.

If you want to discuss T3 supplementation with your doctor, we recommend that you read through the files here, and perhaps print copies of them for your doctor. Because T3 is so much stronger and faster acting than T4, it's important to get the doses right. On pages 285 and 286 of his book The Thyroid Solution, Dr. Ridha Arem describes how to adjust T4 doses when supplementing T4 with T3. Some people in our group have brought this book to their doctors, and their doctors have used this protocol to successfully add T3 to the medication mix.

Kevin G. Rhoads discusses TSH, T3, and T4 in more detail in his Thyroid 101 and Basic Fallacies post. See also the related articles The Desiccated Thyroid Story and The TSH Story as well as Hypothyroidism Medication and Hypothyroidism Medication Comparison
    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle
  • Deacon
    Vet
    • Jan 2005

good info bro
    Originally Posted by Doink the clown;
    "Every gym has the tard who never gets bigger,never shuts up,and never goes away!"

"If you say you are not afraid to die either your lying or your a Ghurka,"

"Amatures built the Ark - professionals built the Titanic."

Comment

• ddoommnn8ttoorr

i have no access to t3 but i do have aces to t4 thing is after reading the posts above i have no idea how much to take a day/week or for how long? im going to run clen with it 3 weeks 2 weeks off 3 weeks on 2 weeks off 3 weeks on, now since t4 takes up to 6 weeks to recieve the full benefits how do i run it through out the whole cycle of clen?

Comment

• pumpharder

Originally posted by ddoommnn8ttoorr
        i have no access to t3 but i do have aces to t4 thing is after reading the posts above i have no idea how much to take a day/week or for how long? im going to run clen with it 3 weeks 2 weeks off 3 weeks on 2 weeks off 3 weeks on, now since t4 takes up to 6 weeks to recieve the full benefits how do i run it through out the whole cycle of clen?
        i wouldnt run the 2 together, the side would be too much to bare..but if you must save clen for the las week only at a high dose . I find it extremly efficient at shedding your last bit of water before your show..as far as fat burning..the T3 alone is enough to do the job.

Comment

• liftsiron
          Administrator
          • Nov 2003

Several of our sponsors have T3 for research purpose.
          ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• ddoommnn8ttoorr

Originally posted by liftsiron
            Several of our sponsors have T3 for research purpose.
            lol damn i forgot about them! thanks for reminding me! and how would you run the t-3 and for how long per day/week/mg

Comment

• ddoommnn8ttoorr

and i must admit since joining this forum for the past 8 months i have made the greatest gains so far in my 6 years or working out thanks for everything guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• liftsiron
                Administrator
                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by ddoommnn8ttoorr
                lol damn i forgot about them! thanks for reminding me! and how would you run the t-3 and for how long per day/week/mg

Personnally I would taper to 50mcgs and stay there for the course. I get good results at what many would consider a low dose.
                ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Mick-G
                  VET
                  • Jan 2005

Iam wondering what the dosage is for someone with hypothyroidism?? Is there a general dosage to start off with? Im not talking of cycles, im talking about ppl that need to take it as a supplement. I have access to a therapy clinic that has a combination of T-3 and T-4 in a pharmaceutical form. It comes in 1grain 60mg and 1/2 grain 30mg tablet dosage.

Comment

• liftsiron
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Mick-G
                    Iam wondering what the dosage is for someone with hypothyroidism?? Is there a general dosage to start off with? Im not talking of cycles, im talking about ppl that need to take it as a supplement. I have access to a therapy clinic that has a combination of T-3 and T-4 in a pharmaceutical form. It comes in 1grain 60mg and 1/2 grain 30mg tablet dosage.

I think that the combo is armour thyroid. To me it doesn't make since to use a combo or even T-4 because the body must convert T-4 to T-3 before it has any benefit. Normal thyroid output is approx 25mcgs T-3 total per day. So 25mcgs of T-3 should bring someone with hypothyroidism to normal levels.
                    ADMIN/OWNER@Peak-Muscle

Comment

• Mick-G
                      VET
                      • Jan 2005

You are correct it is Armour. I think it is more of an hrt treatment, to get the body to convert the t-4 into t-3, with ppl with low t-4 levels. More of a benefit to women with endocrine problems.

Comment

Working...