Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > General discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
Help on finding a zero turn mower...

Bought a Cub Cadet 24hp 50” and it stalled on me at the end of my3 acre cut. Bought it at HD and took it back. After reading reviews, trying to decide on a John Deere, Toro or Ariens. Not gonna buy another Cub Cadet even tho got good reviews and did good cutting. I know it could just be one of those bad luck with it but looking for another brand name. Anybody has any experience with zero turn and have knowledge to share?
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
Big B
Banned

Big B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really niceBig B is just really nice
I would love a Swisher but can’t afford a 7,000+ mower. I’m willing to spend no more than half of that...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
UXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I would love a Swisher but can’t afford a 7,000+ mower. I’m willing to spend no more than half of that...
I have a gravely 42”. Runs and cuts good but 2 issues. Noticed burn spots in the yard. Realized everywhere I stopped to pick up something like a stick had a burn spot. Muffler is too close to the grass. Made a heat shield out of duct work and fixed it. It also tends to blow grass clippings and dust out the front of the mower deck. Gets in my eyes even with sunglasses on.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Big B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UXL View Post
I have a gravely 42”. Runs and cuts good but 2 issues. Noticed burn spots in the yard. Realized everywhere I stopped to pick up something like a stick had a burn spot. Muffler is too close to the grass. Made a heat shield out of duct work and fixed it. It also tends to blow grass clippings and dust out the front of the mower deck. Gets in my eyes even with sunglasses on.
What year is your Gravely? You know Gravely and Ariens built by same company? Read great reviews on Gravely. Just not one around where I’m at. That’s surprising about what you said tho. Not sure why mufflers would be that close to the ground. Need to make sure the Ariens not the same way. Thanks for the heads up on that...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Big B
Banned

Quote:
Do you get a mulch kit with yours? Heard it’s well worth it and wanted to hear your feedbacks, if you did...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
UXL

Quote:
Do you get a mulch kit with yours? Heard it’s well worth it and wanted to hear your feedbacks, if you did...
It’s about 5 years old now. I put mulch blades on it but not the baffle kit. Seems to cut better. I’m the guy that says oh shit better cut the grass not like my neighbor that cuts his every other day lol.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
UXL

Brother has a Dixon. Likes it but tires are small. Tends to turf the grass when it’s wet very easy. Was the reason I got the gravely because had bigger tires.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 AM   #8
Big B
Banned

Quote:
It’s about 5 years old now. I put mulch blades on it but not the baffle kit. Seems to cut better. I’m the guy that says oh shit better cut the grass not like my neighbor that cuts his every other day lol.
That’s what I’ll do, get the mulch blades. Thanks for the feedbacks...
Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Sounds like your cutting it too short. Also if you let the grass get tall before you cut it it will have a tendency to burn more because now you're not just cutting the tip of the grass blade your hacking it 1/2 way down or more. This will make it burn because it holds a lot of moisture the taller it is and acts like a magnifying glass.

Last edited by b52; 03-21-2018 at 10:56 AM..
b52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
b52

b52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to beholdb52 is a splendid one to behold
Get a jon deere. I have a 61 inch commercial stander and the thing is awesome. Get a commercial grade one. Or better yet if you have a tractor supply company near you get the bad boy zero turn. That's a nice machine abs they offer it at a good price. The cub cadets they have there are also much better than home depot. You'll notice the steel is much thicker. Commercial quality. If you're mowing 3 acres you want something that's made to be run all day everyday
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #11
Big B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Sounds like your cutting it too short. Also if you let the grass get tall before you cut it it will have a tendency to burn more because now you're not just cutting the tip of the grass blade your hacking it 1/2 way down or more. This will make it burn because it holds a lot of moisture the taller it is and acts like a magnifying glass.
If I understand correctly, most, of not all, zero turns can go no lower than 1.5 inch. I know there’s a lot of heat coming out of the exhaust...
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #12
Big B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b52 View Post
Get a jon deere. I have a 61 inch commercial stander and the thing is awesome. Get a commercial grade one. Or better yet if you have a tractor supply company near you get the bad boy zero turn. That's a nice machine abs they offer it at a good price. The cub cadets they have there are also much better than home depot. You'll notice the steel is much thicker. Commercial quality. If you're mowing 3 acres you want something that's made to be run all day everyday
While I read and heard JD are good mowers, who would doubt that, the name itself also makes it more costly. Another word, you can get another good mower that’s equivalent to JD’s performance but a lot cheaper bc it doesn’t carry that name. I can’t afford commercial, as much I would love to have a big daddy equipment. Just too expensive. I decided to go with Ariens 50” Kawasaki 24hp. The sales guy said the over three years he’s been working at the store, he only seen Ariens been returned once and it wasn’t anything wrong with it, just something that the consumer had against the manufacturer...
Old 03-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #13
Friggemall

When I was on the farm, had a Yazoo and loved it. Not sure if they still make them
Old 03-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
b52

Quote:
If I understand correctly, most, of not all, zero turns can go no lower than 1.5 inch. I know there’s a lot of heat coming out of the exhaust...
1.5 inch? Way too low brother. I own a landscape company I don't ever cut it that low. I usually cut on the 2nd highest setting in spring and the highest in summer. It's not a money thing either, just saying that because that's how some people think but the grass burns very easily. And not everyone waters consistently. One thing to remember is cutting your grass taller let's the root system grow deeper and creates a healthier lawn and is less prone to drought damage.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
b52

Quote:
The heat from the exhaust is only temporary though. And quickly passes. Not your problem.