Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Bodybuilding and Fitness Discussion > Training
User Name
Password

Old 08-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Swear for More Strength and Power

Swear for More Strength and Power
New research shows that cussing can boost anaerobic power and grip strength. Here's the science.
by Jake Tuura | 07/30/18

We know that swearing increases pain tolerance. That has even been backed up by research, and now new research shows it can also increase strength and power.
The Studies

Repeating a swear word was compared to repeating a neutral word during two different experiments. In the first, subjects completed a Wingate anaerobic power test. In the second, subjects completed an isometric handgrip test.
ADVERTISING
The Results

Greater performance was achieved in the swearing conditions versus the non-swearing conditions for both the anaerobic power test and the grip strength test.
How to Use This F'ing Info

Swearing is effective at increasing pain tolerance, isometric strength, and bicycle wattage. However, in the current study, autonomic arousal seemed not to be the cause. One researcher said, "Swearing seems to be a form of emotional language."

Maybe it's the emotion behind the words that allows the increase in performance. Whatever the reason, maybe you should start cussing during training. If it increases strength and power, why the hell not?
Related:  Build More Muscle With Bad Words
Related:  9 Tips for Dedicated Lifters
Reference

Stephens, R., Spierer, D. K., & Katehis, E. (2017). Effect of swearing on strength and power performance. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 35, DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2017.11.014.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
chicken_hawk
VET

chicken_hawk has a spectacular aura aboutchicken_hawk has a spectacular aura about
Interesting, but I know many lifters who do this. It seams to me that cursing is tied in with aggression. My key word is "shit" and saved for PRs only lol.

Hawk
chicken_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Dawgpound_Hank

No wonder JJ and Branch are so strong then haha!

But what about "light weight", "yeaahhhh buddddaaaaayyy" and "nothin' but a peanut"?

I've been cussing at the weights for many years - way before YT, so nobody can call me a copycat haha. I've only done this out loud in hardcore gyms, and if in a family type gym, I'll just say it to myself - but if no ones around, I'll say it out loud. Usually a "come on mf'er" or "let's fukk this up". On a different, kinda-sick level, I'll often think of something that makes me want to kill - often I'll think of an adult bullying my son - like a total stranger pushing him down or slapping him, and see my son crying, then BOOM kill the weights for a pr. I've also found that hitting the gym after an argument with my wife has made for some of my best, pr-breaking workouts ever haha! I'll leave the house pissed as a mofo, kill the weights, be exhausted as hell and go home and say "Thanks hun".

I 100% agree environment & attitude plays a BIGTIME role with output in the gym. If a kick ass song comes on during the set, I will indeed be able to eek out 1 more rep vs had it not. IMO, this is why environment is a more important factor than the actual gym equipment itself - within reason of course - gotta have at least the basic stuff.