Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • workingout
    VET
    • Apr 2004

Well he is new to the sport. as you said it took you a while to learn to stop holding people down. I like Lesnar and the way he fights.
    He who does not strike first is the first stricken.

BS ESS

Comment

• Rocky07

yeah maybe he will learn and will become more exciting to me...idk. i know i learned from people kickin my ass lol and i mean whos really gonna be a big challenge to him? what he should really do is get into body building lol that dude is a MONSTER

Comment

• Thate
        Vet
        • Mar 2007

I can see Lesnar either getting submitted again or knocked out standing.

Comment

• Rocky07

knocked out standing would be freakin amazing!! submitted would just prove to the world that he is still not skilled in jiu jitsu lol but knocked out would be something to see!

Comment

• strongman
            Vet
            • Feb 2009

Myself and workingout along with many others on this board have the same general background as you Rocky and in general I agree.

Let me start by saying I really cannot stand Brock. With that said, when you fight MMA you have to play to your advantages and take your oppenants away. Brock is a wrestler and high level athlete. He is not a jiu-jitsu black belt, brown belt, purple...you get the idea. I'm sure he is learing BJJ but like any good trainer, they will teach him the escapes/counters and not main techniques first. You already know why, because even an average BJJ guy under any decent trainer would tap brock in two seconds if he tried a submission.

Carwin is a very good match for Brock, actually he is very bad match up because he is just the guy stylistically (either spelled wrong or just not a real word, LOL) that would beat Brock.

Where Mir went wrong was underestimating Brocks wrestling and his ability to control on the ground. Mir will not make the same mistake if he gets another chance. Brock was very obvious he wants none of Mir standing up. I am a judo/jiu-jitsu guy at heart (and I suck, LOL) but I understand the principle of doing whatever it takes to win.

One of my twins (Kyle, 14) is completing in the NAGA nationals (gi and no-gi) in 2 weeks, he is a orange belt under Royce has a black belt in karate and wrestles (high school and submission). He is just now starting to do the adult MMA class at night after submission wrestling. He is seeing the difference quickly of "pure" BJJ moves that get your face pounded in MMA. He is finding that some wrestling style control postitions work better when strikes are allowed. There is a lot of carry over, but in the end do whatever it takes to win.

Comment

• Rocky07

oh there is no doubt he is an athlete! however MMA, whether standing or on the ground, is a chess match. u can teach guys all the escapes u want to and in some cases the guy may escape...on that note-u learn defense by playing offense. i kno, i kno, u are prolly thinking "what!? No u dont!" well actually u do. when u go for any submission and the defender makes a move, whether on purpose or not, that makes u uncomfortable in the offensive position you make a mental note of this...and ask yourself "why did i not feel comfortable when he did this or that?" this teaches u what to do when u are in that position as a defender next time....see what i mean now? he makes no signs of progressing in his skills in jiu jitsu as an offender...just a good wrestler. thats why Mir beat him the 1st time. u cant tell me he didnt know how to escape that heel hook or ankle lock or whatever the hell it was frank tapped him with (that was a long time ago and my memory is about as useful as a male nipple) but he never saw it coming because he has prolly never attempted this submission. wrestling is a good base defense and knowledge to have but wrestling is like karate--in MMA it can get u killed if thats all u have to rely on. hes got heavy hands too but hell he walks around at 300lbs and his hands are huge! i would hope they would be solid! bottom line-hes no special MMA fighter...kinda more like a freak show if u ask me. he does have the titles though and as u said- "whatever it takes to win". thats all that matters howevr i truly believe his heavyweight reign will be destroyed soon by a skilled fighter close to his physical strength and size but far out of his league in Skill.

Comment

• workingout
                VET
                • Apr 2004

How to get a win:

In a BJJ Nogi tournament:
                Get the take down, control top until opponent gives up his back, RNC

In an MMA fight:
                Get the take down, control top until opponent gives up his back, rain down furious blows until the ref stops the match.

In the Streets:
                You and 3 of your bros sucker punch the bitch ass punk.

BS ESS

Comment

• Rocky07

lol thats funny! ...too bad in a street fight nobody actually wins. wish guys had the self control to keep it all in the cage

Comment

• strongman
                    Vet
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rocky07
                    i truly believe his heavyweight reign will be destroyed soon by a skilled fighter close to his physical strength and size but far out of his league in Skill.
                    I totally agree and cannot wait to watch. Mir got him with a knee bar, but you know the set up is same for all those from that postition, so like you said he should of know the set up when Mir placed his foot behind Brocks to pivot.

Comment

• Rocky07

Originally posted by strongman
                      I totally agree and cannot wait to watch. Mir got him with a knee bar, but you know the set up is same for all those from that postition, so like you said he should of know the set up when Mir placed his foot behind Brocks to pivot.
                      Exactly! and if was any good at jiu jitsu he would have but hes not lol...i just want everyone to know i dont wish bad things on the guy personally but hes not half the MMA fighter that his Title displays. i think wins should be earned when guys practice hard and learn their stuff, not when guys are just bigger than everyone else lol

Comment

• workingout
                        VET
                        • Apr 2004

how long ago was that Mir knee bar? If Lesnar is not any better at BJJ today then fine, he does not deserve his title. However, I have a feeling that he has been training. The only question is will he use his training when the bell rings.

Even after a quite a few fights, my memory of what happened between myself and an opponent in the ring, is different than what the video shows. And that's really hard to explain to your trainer...

BS ESS

Comment

• Rocky07

oh im sure he is training! i def dont think he takes the sport as a joke or is in any way lazy...i mean like i said i dont wish bad things on the guy i just think that since he obviously has a size advantage he's not gonna get my vote until i think he is as equally "talented" as some of the other guys. u know, some guys just have a natural ability to utilize bjj...i do. some people have a natural ability to utilize mouy thai and boxing--i think he is "fair" on his stand-up game and not too great on his bjj but his 265lbs provides more "margin for error". im not raggin him cause hes a big guy & obviously advantaged tho--id just like to see him tap somebody. kimora, triangle,rnc, key lock, heel hook, ....i dont care! but id like to see proof that he is equally as talented as the other guys. once i do he will have my respect....lol til then he's just a plain ole giant.

Comment

• ninobambino
                            • Jan 2005

Brock comes in fight night at around 290-300lbs.
                            He is a beast and a natural athlete. He is VERY new to MMA and he already has the HW belt. His size and speed is ridiculous.
                            His illness might be a minor setback losing 40-50lbs but I believe he has gained most of that back with help in every way.

It will be hard for ANYONE to bet him.
                            If he can come in at 100% I don't see anyone beating him.

Comment

Working...