Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roughrydr
    • Oct 2017

Aches and Pains of Aging

Now that I'm in my lower sixties I find that my body aches all the time. I'm sure that some of it is age related arthritis. I've put my body through hell in the weight room for decades. I wake up hurting, then go to bed at night hurting in my bones.
    But there is also the muscle soreness associated with weight training. I'm always in pain somewhere. It just seems like the pain is more pronounced than it used to be 30, 40 years ago. And recovery? My recovery time has slowed way down.
    I know I'm probably just a big puss, but do you guys always hurt too? I'm not talking debilitating pain, except after leg day, lol. But just that dull, constant reminder that your body hates you. I just dont remember hurting all the time when I was younger. But then maybe I just dont remember?
    OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain
  • Glycomann

You're gonna need some yoga pants or a walker. Your choice grampa.

Comment

• Roughrydr
      • Oct 2017

A proud Grampa for sure. My son, their dad is an ass. But the gk's are awesome. Wouldn't yoga pants bind in the crotch? They would be so tight it would be perpetually hard. It reminds me of Betty. She told me she was tight. She had triplets and she said she asked the Dr to give her an extra stitch or two. She was dead serious. It was like trying to drive a F250 through the front door of your house. I miss that girl.
      Last edited by Roughrydr; 08-01-2019, 06:04 AM.
      OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
        • May 2019

Mainly just DOMS, and most of it is no issue except after leg day. Indeed recovery dwindles BIGTIME with age. Crazy that even though we have much higher homone levels than a teen when ON, it doesn't correlate to anywhere near the same recovery ability. I have a serious RC issue in my right shoulder, but since I stopped pressing, it has been manageable and doesn't bother me much. I get by on chest and delt day via a variety of flyes, laterals, and one bench press machine I can do without pain. Thankfully, I have lost little in the pecs & delts in terms of development doing so. I still go heavy and all-out on everything I do, but I am certain to warm-up wayyy more than when younger before doing so. Warming up and stretching is paramount IMO at our age to help prevent injury. I also implement alternating cold and hot showers - like 2 minutes of each back and forth several times. I seen a ice cold hot tub that Brian Shaw has and he swears by it for recovery. Wish I had one.

Rough you need to start putting all those chicas to good use via giving you a massage. Massages are great for recovery, especially deep, vigorous massages which help break up scar tissue.
        Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• MR. BMJ
          • Apr 2006

I'm 43 and I ache a lot already, so i'll probably be in a wheelchair when I hit your age

My feet and ankles and legs feel it the most. Starting to wonder if I have something wrong with me to be honest...well, outside of being a pussy

Comment

• Glycomann

I got into he habit of stretching from martial arts and never stopped. It helps. A couple years agony back neck and knees were a mess. I did yoga for 8 months and it cleared up. Yoga is basically prolonged stretching. I haven't done any in a year or more but when things get bound up again I will go down a few times and it's all strait again. I can't see you ever doing yoga. Too bad. It would probably straiten you out. Some horses won't drink the water because they think it looks weak to bend down and take a sip.

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
              • May 2019

Originally posted by MR. BMJ
              I'm 43 and I ache a lot already, so i'll probably be in a wheelchair when I hit your age

My feet and ankles and legs feel it the most. Starting to wonder if I have something wrong with me to be honest...well, outside of being a pussy
              That's the price you pay when you start gear at 14 homie.
              Dawgpound Hank is a fictional character,. All posts by my character are merely for entertainment purposes and not meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• MR. BMJ
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by JerKy
                That's the price you pay when you start gear at 14 homie.
                It was 17 and 10 months bucko....

Comment

• Roughrydr
                  • Oct 2017

I have no problem trying yoga. I dont think anyone looking at me would associate me with the word weak, even if I was wearing a pink tutu. In fact the idea of hot, sweaty, flexible women with their asses raised up in the air kind of turns me on. I'll look into it and see if my gym membership let's me do the yoga free. Excellent idea. I may still hurt, but at least I'll be distracted for a while.
                  OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Glycomann

Originally posted by Roughrydr
                    I have no problem trying yoga. I dont think anyone looking at me would associate me with the word weak, even if I was wearing a pink tutu. In fact the idea of hot, sweaty, flexible women with their asses raised up in the air kind of turns me on. I'll look into it and see if my gym membership let's me do the yoga free. Excellent idea. I may still hurt, but at least I'll be distracted for a while.
                    Good deal you Hairy Mary

Comment

• Dawgpound_Hank
                      • May 2019

Originally posted by AlphaMale
                      I just turned 50 and catch myself grunting and groaning whenever I stand up or sit down.
                      Definitely I feel generally sore and a bit slower these days
                      When I get up in the morning my whole body aches and I kinda hobble to the toilet all stiff...like an old guy I suppose
                      Much stretching and I’m considering doing water aerobics with the old folks too since I’ve got arthritis, heel spurs and tarsal tunnel syndrome in both feet. It’s hard to do squats or any high impact aerobics cuz my feet hurt all the time.
                      Dude I CAN relate with painful feet, and you have my sympathy. I am about as flat footed as one can get, and when I had a job working on a cement floor all day in a factory, my feet would hurt so bad that every break I got, I would have to go to the John, sit in a stall and take my shoes off to get some much needed releif from the pain.

I had special insoles made from the ortho, tried about every damn Dr Scholl's "work day" insoles - nada, nothing helped. End of the day the doc told me I need to drop a lot of weight if I wanna see any relief - he said to get down to 200 and you'll feel much better. Fuck that haha - I was 250-260. So i just dealt with it. I'm gtg now though, being I'm not standing on cement 8-12 hrs a day.

Comment

• MindlessWork
                        • Aug 2011

I am 55 now and the aches and hurts are just starting to come in, first with mild arthritis in my right hand that is starting to fuck with my grip. My knees are shit but got some darn good relief with those CopperFit knee sleeves.

For shoes I bought memory foam liners and they work a treat in reducing knee discomfort as I am always on my feet (systems administrator for a busy local hospital).
                        “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

• millenium girl
                          • Apr 2006

When I get up in the morning my back hurts so much that I can't put on my shoes. After 30 min of walking it loosens up a bit. If I sit or stand for too long I have the same issue. It's arthritis due to my age and it also affects my shoulders and knees. Getting old sucks big time but I keep working out no matter what.
                          Don't forget to join
                          http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
                          http://www.basskilleronline.com

Comment

• Roughrydr
                            • Oct 2017

Yep! I figure as long as I hurt somewhere I know I'm still alive.
                            OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• MindlessWork
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by millenium girl
                              When I get up in the morning my back hurts so much that I can't put on my shoes. After 30 min of walking it loosens up a bit. If I sit or stand for too long I have the same issue. It's arthritis due to my age and it also affects my shoulders and knees. Getting old sucks big time but I keep working out no matter what.
                              I hear ya on that Millibean...arthritis runs in my family and looks like I am just as unlucky, but keeping active does help keep it at bay some.
                              “You take the blue pill — the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill — you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” - Morpheus (from the Matrix)

Comment

Working...