X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cabo Jo
    Vet
    • Aug 2011

the everyday grind

i work my ass off. last week put in 56 hours. the job i have is very stressful, understatement. i'm installing 250k worth of cabinets, in a 10 million dollar house. i work in the most beautiful spot in the US. still things are so hard to keep up with. my mom is sick, dad passed from alzhemiers. my daughter needs her wisdom teeth pulled. just finished paying for her college. i'm so tired of life. it's just a grind everyday. i see people around me. they have tons of money,big houses, nice cars. i just get by, week to week. at 55 i feel old, like i'm running out of time. can anybody relate to me? probably not, most of the people i know seem to have a perfect life. NOT ME.
  • Chooch
    VET
    • Oct 2009

Bro nobody’s life is perfect. We’ve all got problems. It’s all about perspective....life is as good as ad you make it. You’re tired, I’m debt, etc.. but are you homeless, sick, or hungry? You’re working you’re ass off to give those around you a good life and you’re succeeding at it. Be grateful man, you’d be surprised how many people pray every night they could be as fortunate as you. Perspective.

Comment

• Chooch
      VET
      • Oct 2009

Forgot to mention, those ppl with the big homes and fancy cars, probably have the big debt to go along with it.

Comment

• Cabo Jo
        Vet
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Chooch
        Bro nobody’s life is perfect. We’ve all got problems. It’s all about perspective....life is as good as ad you make it. You’re tired, I’m debt, etc.. but are you homeless, sick, or hungry? You’re working you’re ass off to give those around you a good life and you’re succeeding at it. Be grateful man, you’d be surprised how many people pray every night they could be as fortunate as you. Perspective.
        good post chooch...i'm trying to see things that way.

Comment

• rocco-x
          Vet
          • Feb 2009

I'm feeling this too now...
          I'm at my job almost 2yrs, work anywhere from 40hrs a week to 72hrs when the ot is plentiful but never seem to get ahead. I'm really wanting to get a bike by the winter time, get my motorcycle license, pay off bills in the meantime, taxes coming up in Oct, $5g's worth. I know things come to thise who wait and it was only 2yrs ago in Aug that I was both unemployable and homeless so I should be thankful for what I've accomplished on gained in this short amount of time...but at 52 and having wasted so many years and so much money on living like a heathen I guess I want things too fast.

Comment

• Roughrydr
            • Oct 2017

Just wait 10 more years when you find yourself in the same predicament. It sucks. All we can do is keep on putting one foot in front of the other. I was hoping to retire in 3 more years. Now it looks like that cant happen. And I'm kicking myself for not having a more mature foresight. I hate life right now. I live for those few bright spots that remind me why I do it every day. Good luck getting out of it all.
            OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Glycomann

I know this is a down thread but just wanted to jump in to say I'm happy to be among strong men. I won't get into my struggles here but just to say that we in here are all getting it done for ourselves and family. Life is a struggle. Enjoy those up moments when you can. Sometimes there are long stretches between them and don't forget to reflect on them. Sometimes the reflection feels better than in the moment.

Comment

• Dakota
                VET
                • Feb 2017

Brother life is but ebbs and flows. Everyone's life looks good from the outside while up close everyone has their struggles and fights their demons.

I grew up on food stamps and welfare and had a HUGE chip on my shoulders because of it. I left home at 16 but did well for myself. At 27 I was doing quite well and then was in a disabling accident that left me on the sidelines for 18 months while I lost most everything. I started a business a couple years later and started getting some traction when an earthquake took the home I had barely managed to keep through my disability. No earthquake insurance and it was nearly mortgage free.

I began rocking in business and acquired a net worth of about 3.5 M and had two mortgage free homes by 47. I planned to retire at 50. Enter a divorce from a wife that had planned for one of years. (she didn't work) and she was awarded 25% of my company despite never having set foot inside the door and I owned it before I met her. Yes, the courts are a woman's best friend. I had to pay for all her legal expenses and it was astronomical.

Now years later I find my net worth less than half. BUT, I am married to the right woman and I just bought 70 plus acres to settle into a partial retirement and be happy with less.

Much of it is out look. The guy with $10 says if I only had $100 I would be rich. The guy with $100 says he would be set with $1,000. The guy with a million wants a couple more and a bigger house. It is more how one positions himself that what you have.

Paying for a child's college, cars etc and setting them up is a risk too. People in general don't have as much respect for something they haven't earned. That is a delicate balancing act. College is definitely not for everyone and a total waste for some. It also does not provide a guaranteed outcome. Most millionaires and the well off are not professionals. They are small businessmen that are frugal.

I suggest at your age it is time to lower the week work hours or at least set yourself a timeline that is something like "in 18 months I am going to 40 hours a week and living my life" Period. Most people that work 50 plus hours a week just spend more. Do without. Enjoy your family. Fish. Do WHATEVER it takes to make that happen. You will be happier, even with less.

I had an epiphany lately and realized at our age if I didn't do it NOW, it would forever be a next year thing. No more big house, big tax and working 6 days a week.

We are near the same age. Do it now.
                The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Dakota
                  VET
                  • Feb 2017

Lots of insight posted by a lot of good folks here! This is a great board.
                  The older I get the better I used to be.

Comment

• Cabo Jo
                    Vet
                    • Aug 2011

i read every word off what my brothers posted.
                    didn't want this to be a downer thread, just to feel share the pain i guess.
                    rocco iv'e know you, since OLM. Followed your struggles. i'm proud of you my friend. hope you get that bike soon.
                    RR, i've read about your wife. i'll think off you often. i know what your going through.
                    glyco you're always right imo..we are survivors.
                    AM. another warrior.. i pay attention to everything you have to say. we have a lot in common.
                    dakota another insightful post as always.
                    warreng. i like the way you look at things.

love you guys...sorry i just got home lol. really tired again.
                    STAY STRONG THAT'S ALL WE CAN DO.

Comment

• Roughrydr
                      • Oct 2017

I love the way Tom Petty talks about this struggle.
                      https://youtu.be/n4nPa35CZPI
                      OFFO

Muscle Forged In Pain

Comment

• Bigpapapumpaf
                        VET
                        • Feb 2017

Maybe you're adding up the wrong columns Cabo.

Sounds like you have your health and family and that means a lot.

Having college paid for your kid is probably better than 80% of the people you're looking at.

I grew up as what I would consider poor. We never really wanted for much but never had much either. I worked my ass off as an adult, made a fortune, got a divorce and lost it all. I'm back on top now but after having 2 heart attacks I can honestly say that all the money in the world means nothing if you can't enjoy it. My kids, my family and my wife are all that matters to me now. When I retire, it will be in a modest home somewhere in the Caribbean near the water. No mansions, no multiple properties, put me within walking distance of the nearest tiki bar and I'll be good to go.

Take some time and relax, take a vacation. Enjoy your daughter and family. When you die your grave will be no better or worse than the guy living in the $10M house. Duplicate yourself and enjoy those benefits.

BPP

Comment

• hrpiii3
                          VET
                          • Jan 2017

Wow, a lot of this board is some hard working, ass busting, focus on life, down to earth wonderful people. I agree with everyone. I grew up working before and after high school classes, paid my own way through college and living a healthy life in the IT world. I have always looked at life at what it has to offer and never what I didn't have.

I can honestly say I enjoy life and try to get the most out of the 'experiences' it has to offer. I'm not rich, don't have fancy things, but I do all I can to get me and the wife out to enjoy life and enjoy all it has to offer. I learned at a very young age to do that, and have tried to do that as much as I can. I work a lot of hours, take oncall every couple of weeks, but I refuse to let that slow me down.

Love this forum. Great people here.

Comment

• preist943
                            VET
                            • Apr 2018

i hear all of you pushing 50 and i work on high pressure gas lines . the bosses are all over me more production more this and that im pushed to my limit. just last week they told me 12 hrs days and every weekend till this job is done period . i dont worry of deadlines and just work every day though im half dead here in fl in this heat . yes its good money but who cares if your dead . i just do what i can and dont let it get to me .

Comment

• MR. BMJ
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by preist943
                              i hear all of you pushing 50 and i work on high pressure gas lines . the bosses are all over me more production more this and that im pushed to my limit. just last week they told me 12 hrs days and every weekend till this job is done period . i dont worry of deadlines and just work every day though im half dead here in fl in this heat . yes its good money but who cares if your dead . i just do what i can and dont let it get to me .
                              Hey buddy, good seeing ya. You out in Fl just for the job? Or did you move out that way too?

Comment

Working...