Peak-Muscle.com  

Welcome to the Peak-Muscle.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. Come join us in on one of the best online fitness communities. We have 16,000 members that are likeminded towards a fitness, bodybuilding lifestyle. Registration is free and only takes but a few minutes. By joining our free community you will have access to communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be able to create threads to discuss and or create a fitness regimen. Or just bounce ideas off of some very knowledgeable members. So don't miss out. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Peak-Muscle.com > Off Topic > MMA Talk
User Name
Password

Old 06-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
choke

Why Stretching is so damn important

This is a blog that I was going to put up in a BJJ community; but I think that it is relevant here. There are enough people that train. And frankly, even for you iron heads, it might be useful info:

Why Stretching is so damn important:
Chances are, you are the typical human being that has become addicted to things that managed to place us in a seated position. Yes, you are a little bit different because you are a BJJ player. But so what! It is even more important that you stretch even more than you THINK that you do, because you are a BJJ player. You need to realize, if you do not already, that stretching is every bit as important as your conditioning workouts, and even your BJJ training. It is stretching that keeps everything functional and pliant through out the rigor your are putting your body through.

So you need to listen up. We’re going to cover why it’s important; and then we are going to cover some different, very specific types of stretching. This will be the first, in what will be a 3 or 4 part blog on the topic.

So let me Captain Obvious for a moment.

Benefits for your body:
- Increased range of motion
- Helps maintain correct posture
- Increased resistance to injury
- Increased blood and nutrient supply to the muscles
- Decreased muscle soreness.

Benefits for the Mind:
- Calming, mental recharge
- Mental and physical tension release

Don’t go old school with pre-workout stretching
One of the worst things you can do is attempt stretching before you workout. You need to do a warmup that are similar to the motions that you will make while you are stretching.

It is not necessary to always do full body stretching
Unless you simply enjoy the act of stretching (which you would be wise to get into), you need only stretch the muscles that you worked in the gym.

One day per week needs to be dedicated to stretching
You can accomplish this by going to a yoga class, pilates, or stretch however you see fit. Make it a solid 45 minutes to an hour. I’d recommend getting into some of the stretching modalities that gymnasts use. There are many programs out there, of which I will make some recommendations. But I’d especially recommend a program by GymnasticBodies.com. (I have no affiliation, other than I’ve studied their programs; and have used them to great affect)

Some personal perspective
I’ve been a martial arts guy for almost 35 years. Since I was 11 years old. I hate to admit it, but my first instructor was a Ninjutsu instructor (hey… don’t judge. It was the 80’s), who made me stretch. And I got real flexible real quick. From then on, I stretched after every workout. And it is my firm belief that my flexibility is the reason that I’ve never had a serious athletic injury until 2007 when my left biceps tendon completely separated. I was eaten up by tendonitis, due to training BJJ 5 – 6 days a week. Unavoidable.

To this day, a few month shy of 46 years of age, I can pull off a gogoplata; or remain extremely pliable on the mats. Stretching, lots of water and a clean diet does the trick.

I’ve also found that even if you fall away from flexibility training for a bit, you can gain it back quickly. The fastest way to do that is to use a hot tub, prior to your workout or stretching if you have access to one. Or a hot shower if you do not. Do your workout, stretch, shower, and then stand in a cold shower for about 5 minutes. Get that blood moving, lactic acid out, and you will be amazed.

Stretching Specified.
Here is the part where we get specific. Remember, you can do your own thing, but if you’re taking BJJ seriously, you are going to want to pay attention. You know those uber well formed hairless monkey’s also known as gymnast’s? The following is a mobility guideline that will get you closer to putting your own foot behind your head. Not that you’d want to do that; but you could. This series will be broken up into three sections. Thoracic Stretching, Middle Split, and Front Split. Between the three areas, you will become as limber as you possibly can if you are serious about it.

This installment will focus on Thoracic Stretching: I’ve chosen to start with thoracic stretching first because it focuses on the part of your spine that starts at the base of your neck, and extend halfway down your back. This is often a very seriously neglected part of the body; and one that is under increased strain as we age. It is also a difficult area to stretch. But once you learn how, you will look forward to the experience.

This also addresses that pain that seems to always show up between your shoulder blades. And that sometimes leads to headaches, and an over all surly disposition. Ever see a hump at the back of someone’s neck? That’s thickening of soft tissue because of poor mobility. So many of us spend a lot of time sitting in front of a screen, or in a car, plane or train. So this is why I want to draw this out first.

One of the main benefits is the release of stress and tension. Followed by increased athletic performance almost immediately; and a really good feeling of well being thanks to endorphin releases due to removal of the stress hormones.
The following are some examples to get you started. Do them in the order shown, and hold them for the time indicated in front of the title.

This is by no means comprehensive; but it should give you and idea of how you should be posing your stretches.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Bicepts101

Is there an update to this?
Old 08-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
An update? Why?

I have ITBS and have been told to stretch and I must say that it really helps. I'm in less pain when stretching after doing legs or just cardio.
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
liftsiron
Administrator

liftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant futureliftsiron has a brilliant future
Good post choke!
Old 08-08-2016, 01:19 AM   #5
choke

Thanks Lifts!

Incidentally, I was working on an update, and a different modality. But I broke my back in a car accident. I will have it up soon.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
millenium girl

millenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to allmillenium girl is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Thanks Lifts!

Incidentally, I was working on an update, and a different modality. But I broke my back in a car accident. I will have it up soon.
Nice to meet you Choke and great read. Sorry to read about your back. I hope you will get well soon.
millenium girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
Bicepts101

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium girl View Post
An update? Why?

I have ITBS and have been told to stretch and I must say that it really helps. I'm in less pain when stretching after doing legs or just cardio.
Because if you the post he said he would be going over how to do the stretches. Atleast that's what I thought....
Old 10-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
choke

Yes, I was working on an update that expanded to other body parts.

I am still working on it incidentally. I just got cleared by the neurosurgeon that was handling my care, to get back to training. My posts on this topic aren't based upon article I've read, but putting the stuff to work personally.

And lemme tell ya... with this recovery, stretching has taken on an entire new level of appreciation.

In a couple days, I am going to have the update finished.
Thanks for tuning in, and checking it out thus far.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
BrutalHoney
VET

BrutalHoney will become famous soon enough
I don't know about the decreased soreness...

But I've dedicated myself to more stretching after over ten years of not doing it... Everything's better.

I recommend: if you can't give yourself an hour every day to do it, pick a few things that are really bad. For me it was hip flexors and lats. I did them at least 5 days a week, 3 min+ each. Just fit them in between exercises. You'll be so glad you did in a few months.
BrutalHoney is offline   Reply With Quote